Dominican Time

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Could those in the know clarify if this statement is correct:

The Dominican Republic is four hours ahead of GMT Time.

Or is it that the DR is four hours behind GMT Time.

Thanks.

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com
Is the UK on GMT time?

Yes, GMT is UK time.

Greenwhich is in London, UK and GMT stands for Greenwhich Mean Time. We also have BST here (British Summmer Time) our clocks change for winter and summer, when we're on BST we're 5 hours ahead of DR and in winter only 4 hours. Hope that helps.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Is the UK on GMT time?

At the moment yes. But if you asked that question in June the answer would be no because of Daylight Saving Time or British Summer Time. UK Standard Time = GMT, UK Summer Time = BST (British Summer Time) = GMT +1. That's why the UK is 4 hours ahead of DR now, but 5 hours ahead in the summer.

Just to confuse the issue GMT is also known as Z (zulu, if you're a pilot).

Each time zone represents 15 degrees of longitude as measured east & west of the Prime meridian (Greenwich) - there are 25 times zones in all (I think).

Typing at same time as Kate............

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Canada along with the US went back an hour one week later than we normally do.

EST is now 1 hour behind the DR

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Oh thought this thread was about "dominican time". i.e. someobody says show up at 10, it really means show up at 11 or 12, haha. But it's worth pointing out if you are to make any appointments.

Sep 19, 2005
Oh thought this thread was about "dominican time". i.e. someobody says show up at 10, it really means show up at 11 or 12, haha. But it's worth pointing out if you are to make any appointments.

When I tell my girlfirend Ill call her back in an hour, she asks in pesos or dollars......the point being that dominicans are alwasy late and never do things timely...so she is asking me .is that an american hour or a dominican hour...but uses the term pesos and dollars.

they have such a lackadasial attitude for getting things done....excpet for driving...which is a hot topic on another thread right now!! ha ha ha

bob

Feb 7, 2007
Each time zone represents 15 degrees of longitude as measured east & west of the Prime meridian (Greenwich) - there are 25 times zones in all (I think).

Typing at same time as Kate............

It's 24 time zones.

Day has 24 hours only
24 hour time zones
15 x 24 = 360
a circle has 360 grades

Feb 7, 2007

I got to like and I even adopted myself "ahorita"
that's "sometimes from now on, but uncertain exactly when"

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
"Ahorita is like ma?ana but without the same sense of urgency". One of my favourite quotes.

In the DR, PR (and Cuba?) it means "soon" but as bronxboyatheart said, in other countries, like Venezuela, it means "right now".

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
"Ahorita is like ma?ana but without the same sense of urgency". One of my favourite quotes.

In the DR, PR (and Cuba?) it means "soon" but as bronxboyatheart said, in other countries, like Venezuela, it means "right now".

In Mexico too.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
It's 24 time zones.

Day has 24 hours only
24 hour time zones
15 x 24 = 360
a circle has 360 grades

Thank you for the correction. :) Not to be picky, but how do you incorporate the International Date Line into that? i.e. if you go from -12 to 0 (GMT) to +12, how many is that?

Actually I think there are more like 38/39/40 time zones because some places use half hour offsets just to be awkward.................;)

Last edited:

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Gee all this time I thought that ma?ana here ment "not today" and really had no bearing on tomorrow or any other day. It it just means that it wont happen today.

Bob K:ermm:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Back to OP:
We should be on EST/ Eastern US time, but since changing clocks is too much for the average Dominican population, it was decided to stay on EDT/Atlantic Standard Time.

ZULU = Greenwich Mean Time

And I wonder what moved the OP to ask such a question???

---ooo---oooo----oooo---oooo----ooooo-----ooooo--ooo---oooo-o-o-oo-o-o-o-ooooo

Regarding ahorita and ahora. In the DR/PR, ahora means NOW!, ahorita can mean anytime in the future. Very confusing for us who live here and have family in Central America or Venezuela

HB

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
When I tell my girlfirend Ill call her back in an hour, she asks in pesos or dollars......the point being that dominicans are alwasy late and never do things timely...so she is asking me .is that an american hour or a dominican hour...but uses the term pesos and dollars.

they have such a lackadasial attitude for getting things done....excpet for driving...which is a hot topic on another thread right now!! ha ha ha

bob

Geeez, so are we a dollar ahead in the USA or behind a DRP or two?

I've started telling my GF what time I want her to leave her house when she's meeting me (instead of the time I want to meet her). I've reduced the DR LATE factor to under 15 minutes.