Entry Requirements for Children

P

Penni

I have 2 small children, aged 1 and 3, and according to our travel agent, we will need their original birth certificates only. However, in all travel magazines that I have read, it says that an original birth certificate and a photo id is necessary. Does anyone know exactly what I will need for them?

Thanks for your help.

M

Milo

I don't know what photo ID would be acceptable for a 1 and 3 year old. What would be acceptable would be passports for each person. You can call and ask the airline that you will use to see what they will want to let you all get on the plane.

C

Claudia

Actually, the Airline will probably tell you that you only need the birth certificate. That's what happened to me six years ago when I came to the Dominican Republic to visit my family with my one year old son. I had no problems getting in and out of the Dominican Republic, but when I arrived to Miami, this lady from immigration gave me a real hard time because my son did not have a passport. You may just want to get a passport so you don't go through a unpleasant time at the airport.

M

Milo

Just for the heck of it I called American Airlines and asked the question. After a couple transfers I was told that for a US citizen to enter the DR you must have either a passport or an official government birth certificate(not a hospital BC) and if 14 years or older a photo ID. If under 14 years old no photo ID is required but the child must either be with a parent or have notarized letters from the parents allowing the trip. I still think I would get passports.