Jogging along the malecon/parks...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Is there a safe way to get across the street to do some running on the malecon?

Lets' say you're coming from Avenida Independencia a little further down from the Jaragua Hotel. Is there a safe place to cross Avenida George Washington in this area, or is it just a matter of taking your life into your hands and hope for the best?

Or are there better/safer alternatives?

Are there many runners in either Parques Mirador(del sur or del este)?

What times are best to run with other runners in these parks?

Will anyone bother a guy running by himself or is it better to run when the parks are more crowded with people/other runners?

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Park Mirador is your best option, 5 pm till 7pm (Chiri will confirm) closed daily for runners....loads of people running! Malecon? I would worry about the fumes from trucks driving by!

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Park Mirador is your best option, 5 pm till 7pm (Chiri will confirm) closed daily for runners....loads of people running! Malecon? I would worry about the fumes from trucks driving by!

Parque Mirador del Sur is good, but 5 p.m. can still be very warm, not to say hot. Lots of people are down there around first light, about 0630 a.m., these days, everyone from slow strollers to marathon runners, soccer teams and cyclists training. Good to take the Avenida de Salud "Av. Mirador Sur" rather than the park itself. It's closed to traffic, lots of police patrols, even an ambulance or two from Public Health.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
why not jog wearing streetclothes, put a gold necklace chain in your hand a blend in with the locals?

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i know my last post cruel, mean spirited and un-called for but i had a good laugh writing it..............

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
Parque Mirador Sur is your best option by far. Lots of paths and trails, lots of other runners, bikers, etc.. They close some of the roads on weekends as well, so I think that if the parque is relatively close to you, it will be your best option.

Another good option is the Botanical Gardens. They open the Gardens early in the mornings for runners and walkers to use before the gardens open to the public. There are always lots of runners there, or running around the Gardens as well.

As far as crossing to the Malecon, the best way would be to jog down to Avenida Maximo Gomez, then cross at the light there, jog down and around however you want, and come back to cross there. There is just no other way to cross Washington anyplace else near there without taking your life in your hands!

One other word of advice - unlike in the States, where the parks have water fountains all over, there are no water fountains in Parque Mirador Sur, and even if there were you wouldn't be able to drink the water without getting sick, so bring a running belt or bottled water with you, or what I do is keep water in the car, do half my jog, circle back to the car for a drink, then continue on. In the heat you will need to stay hydrated. but I don't like running with a water belt, so that's what I do instead!

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
why not jog wearing streetclothes, put a gold necklace chain in your hand a blend in with the locals?

Funny, but the OP said "jog" not SPRINT RUN from the local ladronas who no doubt would want to make the chain theirs........

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Ah, so instead of staying close to El Conde I should seek a hotel closer to this park. Anyone know of any?

Also, someone mentioned that there are a lot of cyclists in this park. Do you mean road cyclists who ride those fancy bikes like the pros do in the Tour de France?

Because if so, that's another activity I would love to participate in next time I fly down there.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The hotels nearest the park are the Embajador (the poshest hotel in SD), the Delta - both on Ave. Sarasota, and the Dominican Fiesta off Ave. Anacaona, on Calle Hatuey.

Dominican Fiesta is a little out of the way, compared to the more centrally located Delta and Embajador. It's nicer than the Delta, though. If you can afford the Embajador, there's no debate.

Cyclists of all types use the park and Avenida de la Salud, which is closed to traffic every day from late afternoon - lots of racers with all the gear, and mountain bikers too (including yours truly in the more sedate end of the latter category).

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Where is Avenida de la Salud? Is it a street adjacent to the park or does it run through it?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If you look at a map of the city, it's the road that runs along the southern perimeter of the park, some 4 or 5 kms long. It overlooks the lower part of the city, with a good view looking southwards towards the sea.

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
I second the Embajador, which is quite frankly a very high end, very very nice hotel. First Lady Bush stayed there when she was in the country, lots of other dignitaries and the like stay there, so if it's in your budget, go for it. Otherwise the Delta as mentioned is very close to the park and would be a good option too. As for the bicyclists, yes there are a number of 'tour de france' type bicyclists training for olympic trials and the like that buzz by, but lots of other casual weekend riders as well. I don't know of any bicycle rental place around there, but there must be one I would think. Maybe others could make a recommendation on that, or ask at your hotel when you get in. I am sure the Embajador would arrange something no problem, just check with the Concierge or call the Concierge before coming down for info.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
30 years ago i was a pretty good runner, 3 to 6 miles a day, once a week maybe 10 -12. mirador sur park would have been just a piece of a good run, unless you want to go around and around, and that gets boring. if you are a better runner you had better be prepared to cross streets or get bored....................you will also have to run in the morning, afternoons are too hot................

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I don't know of any bicycle rental place around there, but there must be one I would think. Maybe others could make a recommendation on that, or ask at your hotel when you get in.
In the middle of the Parque Mirador del Sur, above the tunnel (is that Av Nunez de C.??) is a place that rents out bikes. As far as I know it is the only place in the capital that rents bikes, I have tried several good bike stores, but they only sell. But, to be honest, the place in the park is not very good, mostly small children's bikes, not in great shape, and it's closed most of the time. If someone else knows another place to rent a bike, great!

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
In the middle of the Parque Mirador del Sur, above the tunnel (is that Av Nunez de C.??) is a place that rents out bikes. As far as I know it is the only place in the capital that rents bikes, I have tried several good bike stores, but they only sell. But, to be honest, the place in the park is not very good, mostly small children's bikes, not in great shape, and it's closed most of the time. If someone else knows another place to rent a bike, great!

I will be bringing my own bike. I too have one of those fancy road bikes but was hesitant to ever bring it with me due to the fact that I didn't know where to ride.

As for the park being boring to run in, I guess it would get boring if I lived there and had no other options but for a stay of a week or so I'm sure it will be just fine.

I'm looking to get into activities from my normal everyday life so that I can ween myself off the temptations of just drinking and chasing chicas(not that theres' anything wrong with that:paranoid:).

Plus I want to meet up with dominicans who have similar interests instead of the typical tigre/grillo crowd we tourists can't seem to get enough of.:cheeky:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ten cuidado.....

I will be bringing my own bike. I too have one of those fancy road bikes but was hesitant to ever bring it with me due to the fact that I didn't know where to ride.
Be careful.....You don't want to attract too much attention.

Will send you a PM later.