Power Outage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 15, 2005
My understanding is that there has been no power in Costambar for two days following the vandalism of powerlines outside of this community.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Not exactly right...........

..........but we (ALL of Costambar) have not had PHONES or INTERNET from Codetel since early Saturday AM (around 2-3am) until JUST NOW .........1:00 pm Sunday...........

They STOLE the main PHONE CABLE about 100 feet of it running outside the gate of Costambar towards Puerto Plata...............

They replaced the cable yesterday and are now working on the lines.......

.......I have my service back NOW.............

.............HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE POWER LINES.........AT LEAST NOT YET!

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Its not back, just spoken to friends and a business out there and power and internet is still down. The owner of some land has squatters on it and he wanted to clear them, he called in the military who cut the lines. Its very sad and diffiult because its hurting some businesses out there badly

peteclaffey

Apr 30, 2006
Everything is fine in Costamabar , apart from usual electric cut offs , phones and internet were off for about 36 hours , for the reason stated in previous post

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Its not back, just spoken to friends and a business out there and power and internet is still down. The owner of some land has squatters on it and he wanted to clear them, he called in the military who cut the lines. Its very sad and diffiult because its hurting some businesses out there badly
Where do you get all this misinformation?
Didn't you see the post above yours?

peteclaffey

Apr 30, 2006
There is a lot more to the story tahn simple squatters , the military did not cut the lines ,150 m was stolen

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I was in Costambar this morning & wish to confirm everything peteclaffey has said. The two events 1) stealing of cable & 2) eviction of squatters were, I was told, two separate events - perhaps pete could confirm? The cable, repeat, was stolen. Not cut. Taken, removed, appropriated, nicked, half-inched, doinked, gaffled, five finger discounted.

The evictions, on the other hand, were I believe carried out in parts of El Javilar & Costambar, from municipal land, after due notice had been given the week before.
Desalojan ocupantes terrenos municipales Costámbar

Puerto Plata Digital

A

apostropheman

DOINKED! i luv it! ....although i am somewhat disappointed that you didn't include purloined :cheeky:
(i luv words, don't you :classic:)
The cable, repeat, was stolen. Not cut. Taken, removed, appropriated, nicked, half-inched, doinked, gaffled, five finger discounted.
half-inched and gaffled were new to me also :bunny::bunny:...but DOINKED! is my favorite (in case that wasn't obvious) :)

(DOINKED is not in Webster's ;) Merriam-Webster Online)
is DOINKED a Dominicanism perhaps? :surprised:bunny::bunny:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Half inched is British - Cockney rhyming slang for pinched. Gaffled is US slang I think but is in the dictionary:
gaffled - Definitions from Dictionary.com

Doinked I thought was US slang too, but, please, not to be confused with boinked.................:cheeky:

My slang might be a bit dated because I'm not in my 30's any more. But if you like words, do you know what a chutney ferret is? Here's a hint:
BOFH: Blocking the chutney ferret | The Register

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Half inched is British - Cockney rhyming slang for pinched. Gaffled is US slang I think but is in the dictionary:
gaffled - Definitions from Dictionary.com

Doinked I thought was US slang too, but, please, not to be confused with boinked.................:cheeky:

My slang might be a bit dated because I'm not in my 30's any more. But if you like words, do you know what a chutney ferret is? Here's a hint:
BOFH: Blocking the chutney ferret | The Register
I always thought the expression was half HINCHED, but what do I know about the cockney slang - I weren't dragged up there like some was! ;)

Here's one for you CFA 'FURK'. North Staffordshire word I gather & totally legit. You might have to go 'furking around' a number of OLD dictionaries to find it listed though!

Now, what was this thread about??? Oh Yes, power outages in Costambar which were in fact telephone cable problems which are now sorted (or not depending who your sources are)!! I believe the police are now on a 'party-line' with the purloiners (to make CFA happy) of the cable & will not therefore be continuing their investigations!! Dead Line perhaps??? ~ Grahame.

A

apostropheman

Lambada & BushBaby, you two are the best!:laugh:

Hopefully the power and cable, etc...will be fully restored ASAP, if it isn't already.

all this reminds me of "Aunt Mathilda" and "Morticia" discussing "biting daddy" after sharing "mixed fruits and vegetables" with their "late night sneaky uncle" on "Brighton Pier"
(Cockney rhyming slang is hilariously frustrating! :))
Dictionary of Interesting Terms and Expressions :laugh:

i find it strange that anyone would bother to DOINK the cables considering how little it is actually worth, for the copper anyway. is export of copper not monitored or is there a local market for the cable...for reuse? :cheeky::bunny::bunny:

Last edited:

peteclaffey

Apr 30, 2006
i believe the people in the barrio were given notice to leave , a list was taken of the inhabitants a while ago , they are being rehoused somewhere ? problem was that when the moves started there seemed to be a lot more people that "had lived there for years "? , they too want to be rehoused, i think that was the point where military came in.Regards the stolen cable , that was not one man and a look out , i saw the thickness of the new cable being put in ,I can only guess at the weight !It must have been planned in advance with transport etc . i was impressed with the speed in which it was replaced

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Apologies for accrediting CFA with making your comments in a previous post apostropheman - I was having one of my 'Senior' moments (well it WAS well past my bed time!!). Doubtless the intrepid lady will be on shortly to put a link to her weekly round up of news from 2 or 3 weeks ago where she highlighted a news item that this copper was being shipped to China.

Have you joined up for a daily dose of new & exotic words from 'Word a Day'?? I'll PM you the link if you like & you can become as illiterate as me!! ~ Grahame.

A

apostropheman

no problemo BB...i would luv the link to word-a-day, thank you.

i recall reading the article or at least remember that it was being exported. i also recall that there was some mention of it being closely monitored so as to discourage this type of theft....something like that...:)

Apologies for accrediting CFA with making your comments in a previous post apostropheman - I was having one of my 'Senior' moments (well it WAS well past my bed time!!). Doubtless the intrepid lady will be on shortly to put a link to her weekly round up of news from 2 or 3 weeks ago where she highlighted a news item that this copper was being shipped to China.

Have you joined up for a daily dose of new & exotic words from 'Word a Day'?? I'll PM you the link if you like & you can become as illiterate as me!! ~ Grahame.

Status
Not open for further replies.