furniture in the capitol

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
There is no one best place. There are about 20 good furniture stores, each with their own style. Probably the larger furniture stores are Ilumel on Abraham Lincoln and Gonzalez Muebles on 27 de Febrero.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
No websites that are of any use as they are never updated. When you see it, you buy it, that's how it works here, as it might not be there tomorrow.

Syork

Sep 5, 2004
Best furniture store

We have bought several pieces of furniture, mostly mahogany, made to order at Decoral Muebles on the 27th of Febrero 386, on the corner of Dr. Defillio street. The owner is Tito Hernandez and they have their own factory riht there. He and his wife are very nice people and the furniture they make is very well done and priced as well as any place in the capital that we have seen. I highly reccomend them!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We've been looking around recently - here are some observations:

Conforama
- one in MegaCentro in the Zona Oriental and one on 27 de Febrero between Churchill and Lincoln - nice contemporary design but very low quality. Prices are reasonable but I would only buy furniture there if I needed props for a stage set.
Castib? - Roberto Pastoriza between Lope de Vega and Tiradentes - rustic look, really nice stuff, prices not too high considering.
Ferreteria Americana and Almacenes Unidos on JFK have a reasonable selection.

Others (I haven't visited recently so not up to date) for modern look - Ilumel (Lincoln), Von and Meicy (they sell mainly office furniture but some of their stuff is nice for home too). Novia de Villa on Pastoriza - more traditional. Plaza Lama also has a large furniture department.

There are many, many more options.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
No websites that are of any use as they are never updated. When you see it, you buy it, that's how it works here, as it might not be there tomorrow.

Very true. :)

I just figured a website would give me a good idea of acceptable price ranges for certain items.

What quality level is the majority of the furniture at Plaza Lama?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Janin, I am made of stronger stuff than you. I resisted the temptation. :D

Alicious - Plaza Lama is middle-range quality and middle of the road style wise, but I don't go there that often so can't tell you what the price range is like. They aim for a middle/lower middle class market as far as I can tell.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
a lot of the stuff in plaza lama is made in the far east, china, malaysia, singapore, even though it looks dominican, not all but a fair amount. i have seen nice beds there, 25000 pesos or more and gone back a year later and they are still there with the same price.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I just spent the afternoon in Ilumel and O. M. G.

It is fabulous in every sense of the word. All tastes are catered for and there is a huge selection. Mostly on the pricey side - anyone want an oversized leather L-shaped sofa for the price of a mid-range jeepeta? We found what we considered a bargain - a natural-look sofa and two armchairs for the price of a mid-range bicycle... i.e. under RD$23k. Loads of beautiful accessories, and a coffee bar too. Friendly, helpful staff - all in all a pleasant experience. Highly recommended even if you don't plan to buy anything.