Who are some Dr1 expat US members who live in santo domingo?

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
The biggest challenge of living in santo domingo would be for me learning how to get around such a big city. In Miami, FL there are about 2 million people. But santo domingo has close to 3.5 million to 4 million people. There is no public bus system like here in Miami. I know a little bit about publicos which I assume are taxis that everyone share that run pretty much the same route. Where can I buy a decent, fulll, complete map of all the streets, etc. in santo domingo? There are not any on the internet, I guess I could buy one in santo domingo when I get there. Are there motochoncos and guaguas like in Sosua in santo domingo?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
DR1 is based in Santo Domingo.

Take note that most people in this country use the public transport system. There is a public bus system. Interestingly, there are no bus route maps for general distribution, although the routes are established. They are served by governmental OMSA buses and the cuasi-governmental Fenatrano and Conatra private business unions that are heavily subsidized by taxpayer money and usually operate small buses.

You can buy a city map at large supermarkets and bookstores. Multicentro La Sirena, Carrefour, Libreria Cuesta, Thesaurus, all have them. Some Shell gas stations, too. There is also a city map book sold at La Trinitaria bookstore in the Colonial City.

Another option is to use one of the taxis that can be contacted by phone.

Best would be for you to move to an area where you will do most of your living and working, because Santo Domingo these days seems to have become one single traffic bottleneck. Avoid driving at peak hours when parents take children to school or come home from work.

There are many motoconchos in Santo Domingo.

Last edited:

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
Public transportation in SD

Two taxi companies that I use and have found to be reliable and fast are Apolo and Anacaona. Always ask the price before you take off and be aware that, from guaguas to taxis, they charge more for A/C and "comfort". I take the conchos to work which are 12 pesos and have a fixed route but sometimes I like to go in comfort and spring for a taxi. Traffic is horrendous as Dolores mentioned but, coming from LA, it is nothing new. At least I haven't seen evidence of road rage here. Good luck.