Robbery in Costa Azul...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I heard (second hand) of a robbery at gunpoint last night in a home in Costa Azul - between Sosua and Cabarete. Apparently large dogs were of no help. No one hurt, fortunately. Time... a couple of hours after dark.

Phone, computer, and don't know what else taken.

I have a friend living out there & will ask what info she has next time I see her.

Either there's been a lull in area crime or I haven't been connected to the grapevine... hopefully this isn't indicative of more to come.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Just Curious

I heard (second hand) of a robbery at gunpoint last night in a home in Costa Azul - between Sosua and Cabarete. Apparently large dogs were of no help. No one hurt, fortunately. Time... a couple of hours after dark.

I have a friend living out there & will ask what info she has next time I see her.

Either there's been a lull in area crime or I haven't been connected to the grapevine... hopefully this isn't indicative of more to come.

Not here to play down one robbery but--how significant is one robbery in relation to the pop. of this area? Would it be comparable to the stats. on any small town in the USA or Can. Don't k now the answer and am asking for my info only.

john

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Gun Point Robbery

I was PM'ed a couple of hours ago regarding this.
A young couple robbed at gunpoint.
Well, it is only 6 weeks to Christmas ya' know ..........:disappoin

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Would it be comparable to the stats. on any small town in the USA or Can.

It's a good question, johne & one that doesn't have definite answers since statistics here aren't readily available. However, I think what has occurred 5km either side of Cabarete in the last 12 months would be considered a crime wave in the U.S. & have tremendous media coverage & police/community effort to end the problem. Keep in mind I'm discussing home invasion robberies - armed criminals entering homes while they are occupied (as opposed to burglaries/property thefts when unoccupied)

This is a topic of concern to me as I have friends that moved today to an area east of Cabarete (against my advice and that of many others) that has been 'hit' many times in the last year. In that particular area, the # of home invasion robberies compared to the # of housing units is truly scary.

The thing to keep in mind is this is NOT something that normally impacts tourists. It is NOT something that normally impacts people living in the center of towns. This is something that mostly repeats in certain gringo enclaves that have proven vulnerable in the last year or homes that are built on their own 'somewhat isolated' piece of land.

I don't mean to create undue fear and want to be clear. There are specific areas that are more prone to these crimes. Large dogs and even security guards don't seem to be sufficient deterrent in those areas. Home burglaries/petty theft have been a problem for as long as I've known where to find the DR on a map. These armed home invasions are a different beast, putting the residents in direct physical danger, and in the last 12 months have become something of true concern to area residents.

FYI... I did a little research & it appears approx 20 home invasions per 100k residents in the U.S. in 2005. An 'off the top of the head' calculation of similar rates 4km either side of Cabarete in the past year gave me a rate of about 500/100k residents. My calc if anything I think is skewed to the low side. In certain select areas, the #'s would be more comparable to 50,000/100,000 residents. As one poster commented a few months ago, kids in the neighborhood were beginning to brag to each other who had been face to face with armed robbers :ermm:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
This is a topic of concern to me as I have friends that moved today to an area east of Cabarete (against my advice and that of many others) that has been 'hit' many times in the last year. In that particular area, the # of home invasion robberies compared to the # of housing units is truly scary.........

I don't mean to create undue fear and want to be clear. There are specific areas that are more prone to these crimes. Large dogs and even security guards don't seem to be sufficient deterrent in those areas. Home burglaries/petty theft have been a problem for as long as I've known where to find the DR on a map. These armed home invasions are a different beast, putting the residents in direct physical danger, and in the last 12 months have become something of true concern to area residents.

Those friends who didn't take your advice are probably not worth toooo much concern. But I wonder, in the interests of others, would it be permitted to identify those specific areas 'more prone'? Someone is bound to enquire sooner or later.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Was It Willy Sutton, Who Responded to the question:,....

"Why do you rob banks?".............. "Because,THATs where the money is!!!"

That is why they like to rob "Gringos", "ExPats", "Extranjeros"!!!!!!!

"Thats where the "Good Stuff" is!!

And,.we open the door when we shouldn't!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
Those friends who didn't take your advice are probably not worth toooo much concern.

Not worth too much concern? Is it a question of how much too and toooo is? Or is going against the advice of any expat with more time in than you now a shooting offense in your oh so 'umble estimation?:surprised

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I know CFA123 and respect his opinions. Put it this way, if he told me a certain area was more crime prone, I would listen to him (even though I have more 'time in' than he has :cheeky:). I happen to think that he is very knowledgeable about the area where he lives. If others don't, well, that's up to them, isn't it?

But I don't believe that I said he should shoot them..............! :)

If it happens to his friends, he'll know he & others did their best to dissuade them. And I don't think he is the sort of person who cries over spilt milk.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Normally, when a quote is used, it signifies a response to the person quoted, I believe. Others can correct me if I'm labouring under a misapprehension here.

But, my response would be the same whether 'you' in the general case, were meaning me, or the world at large :) .

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
Those friends who didn't take your advice are probably not worth toooo much concern. But I wonder, in the interests of others, would it be permitted to identify those specific areas 'more prone'? Someone is bound to enquire sooner or later.

Jardin Deportivo, Islabon, about 4-5 miles east of Cabarete center. Don't have the exact numbers handy, but in the last 2-3 years at least 50 home invasions happened in this area, probably more. Residents there have been robbed, raped, stabbed, shot, and murdered. Once a very nice urbanisation, now secluded.
The friends of CFA123 and me are longtime Cabarete residents, they know about this, we told them again, we warned them, questioned their common sense, but they moved there anyway. Nothing else we can do, we hope that their loss will be only material and their lifes will be spared when they get robbed, which probably will happen sooner or later to them.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Jardin Deportivo, Islabon, about 4-5 miles east of Cabarete center. Don't have the exact numbers handy, but in the last 2-3 years at least 50 home invasions happened in this area, probably more. Residents there have been robbed, raped, stabbed, shot, and murdered. Once a very nice urbanisation, now secluded.
The friends of CFA123 and me are longtime Cabarete residents, they know about this, we told them again, we warned them, questioned their common sense, but they moved there anyway. Nothing else we can do, we hope that their loss will be only material and their lifes will be spared when they get robbed, which probably will happen sooner or later to them.

This isn't Costa Azul! This seems to be east of the main Cabarete strip, correct?

Steve

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Are you allowed to kill home invaders in the DR?
In theory, yes.
You will certainly land up in jail if it happens to you, and hopefully you would have some connections and cash to help expedite your release.
There would be an investigation of course, and things move slowly in the DR, so it could take a long time to get your gun back, assuming that was what you used.

N

naturelover

what are they looking for when they rob you as i dont have much stuff apart from the computer and a bit of cash

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Yes but they must be inside your property for you to be legal and you will have problems if they are not armed when you shoot them. The problem you may have later is the compensation the family may demand from you
Home invaders could hardly be outside your property, and have you ever heard of unarmed home invaders?

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
This isn't Costa Azul! This seems to be east of the main Cabarete strip, correct?

Steve

Yes Steve, its touching Islabon and it is an area, not a complex, you turn left off the main road, Im hoping it might improve with all the new projects that are ongoing, some will be very tasteful, so should have good security. Its the area on the right off the main road as you enter Cabarete that has become very dangerous, some Dominican families have had to move out because of battles between the drug gangs

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Home invaders could hardly be outside your property, and have you ever heard of unarmed home invaders?

Gone back to attacking me again for the slightest thing? none of the others you usually attack on line then?

n'en faites pas vous serez bient?t ? la hauteur de 10,000 postes peut-?tre qui vous rendront plus heureux

Status
Not open for further replies.