Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry Robbery in Costa Azul...

I heard (second hand) of a robbery at gunpoint last night in a home in Costa Azul - between Sosua and Cabarete. Apparently large dogs were of no help. No one hurt, fortunately. Time... a couple of hours after dark.

Phone, computer, and don't know what else taken.

I have a friend living out there & will ask what info she has next time I see her.

Either there's been a lull in area crime or I haven't been connected to the grapevine... hopefully this isn't indicative of more to come.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Just Curious

Quote Originally Posted by CFA123 View Post
    I heard (second hand) of a robbery at gunpoint last night in a home in Costa Azul - between Sosua and Cabarete. Apparently large dogs were of no help. No one hurt, fortunately. Time... a couple of hours after dark.

I have a friend living out there & will ask what info she has next time I see her.

Either there's been a lull in area crime or I haven't been connected to the grapevine... hopefully this isn't indicative of more to come.
    Not here to play down one robbery but--how significant is one robbery in relation to the pop. of this area? Would it be comparable to the stats. on any small town in the USA or Can. Don't k now the answer and am asking for my info only.

john

I love Rocky's Ribs!
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Gun Point Robbery

I was PM'ed a couple of hours ago regarding this.
    A young couple robbed at gunpoint.
    Well, it is only 6 weeks to Christmas ya' know ..........

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johne View Post
    Would it be comparable to the stats. on any small town in the USA or Can.
    It's a good question, johne & one that doesn't have definite answers since statistics here aren't readily available. However, I think what has occurred 5km either side of Cabarete in the last 12 months would be considered a crime wave in the U.S. & have tremendous media coverage & police/community effort to end the problem. Keep in mind I'm discussing home invasion robberies - armed criminals entering homes while they are occupied (as opposed to burglaries/property thefts when unoccupied)

This is a topic of concern to me as I have friends that moved today to an area east of Cabarete (against my advice and that of many others) that has been 'hit' many times in the last year. In that particular area, the # of home invasion robberies compared to the # of housing units is truly scary.

The thing to keep in mind is this is NOT something that normally impacts tourists. It is NOT something that normally impacts people living in the center of towns. This is something that mostly repeats in certain gringo enclaves that have proven vulnerable in the last year or homes that are built on their own 'somewhat isolated' piece of land.

I don't mean to create undue fear and want to be clear. There are specific areas that are more prone to these crimes. Large dogs and even security guards don't seem to be sufficient deterrent in those areas. Home burglaries/petty theft have been a problem for as long as I've known where to find the DR on a map. These armed home invasions are a different beast, putting the residents in direct physical danger, and in the last 12 months have become something of true concern to area residents.

FYI... I did a little research & it appears approx 20 home invasions per 100k residents in the U.S. in 2005. An 'off the top of the head' calculation of similar rates 4km either side of Cabarete in the past year gave me a rate of about 500/100k residents. My calc if anything I think is skewed to the low side. In certain select areas, the #'s would be more comparable to 50,000/100,000 residents. As one poster commented a few months ago, kids in the neighborhood were beginning to brag to each other who had been face to face with armed robbers

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a topic of concern to me as I have friends that moved today to an area east of Cabarete (against my advice and that of many others) that has been 'hit' many times in the last year. In that particular area, the # of home invasion robberies compared to the # of housing units is truly scary.........

I don't mean to create undue fear and want to be clear. There are specific areas that are more prone to these crimes. Large dogs and even security guards don't seem to be sufficient deterrent in those areas. Home burglaries/petty theft have been a problem for as long as I've known where to find the DR on a map. These armed home invasions are a different beast, putting the residents in direct physical danger, and in the last 12 months have become something of true concern to area residents.
    Those friends who didn't take your advice are probably not worth toooo much concern. But I wonder, in the interests of others, would it be permitted to identify those specific areas 'more prone'? Someone is bound to enquire sooner or later.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Was It Willy Sutton, Who Responded to the question:,....

"Why do you rob banks?".............. "Because,THATs where the money is!!!"

That is why they like to rob "Gringos", "ExPats", "Extranjeros"!!!!!!!

"Thats where the "Good Stuff" is!!

And,.we open the door when we shouldn't!!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lambada View Post
    Those friends who didn't take your advice are probably not worth toooo much concern.
    Not worth too much concern? Is it a question of how much too and toooo is? Or is going against the advice of any expat with more time in than you now a shooting offense in your oh so 'umble estimation?
    Last edited by moviemouth; 11-13-2007 at 04:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I know CFA123 and respect his opinions. Put it this way, if he told me a certain area was more crime prone, I would listen to him (even though I have more 'time in' than he has ). I happen to think that he is very knowledgeable about the area where he lives. If others don't, well, that's up to them, isn't it?

But I don't believe that I said he should shoot them..............!

If it happens to his friends, he'll know he & others did their best to dissuade them. And I don't think he is the sort of person who cries over spilt milk.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I was using the "you" in the general case.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Normally, when a quote is used, it signifies a response to the person quoted, I believe. Others can correct me if I'm labouring under a misapprehension here.

But, my response would be the same whether 'you' in the general case, were meaning me, or the world at large .

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast