Duty on LCD computer Monitor?

wstrange

Jan 5, 2007
Does anyone have an idea of what the duty would be on an LCD computer monitor - say 21" inches or so?

How might this compare to duty paid on a small LCD TV set (same size).

For about $70 bucks, you can buy an external TV tuner that turns any computer monitor into a TV. I was thinking this might be a way to avoid paying absurd amounts of duty on a small TV.

Thoughts?

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Does anyone have an idea of what the duty would be on an LCD computer monitor - say 21" inches or so?

How might this compare to duty paid on a small LCD TV set (same size).

For about $70 bucks, you can buy an external TV tuner that turns any computer monitor into a TV. I was thinking this might be a way to avoid paying absurd amounts of duty on a small TV.

Thoughts?

less than $200.US no duty.
bob

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You , "NEVER KNOW" What, If ANY, Duty You Will Pay!

Depends on TOO MANY variables when you arrive!

If you are "LUCKY",you will pass right through with no inspection at all. That has been my resent experiences. If you are stopped,it all depends on how well you can "Schmooze"!

Good Luck,it sounds like a great idea to me!!
Cris Colon CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
How did you pack the LCD in your carry-on? Any tips you have would be greatly appreciated.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Russian roulette in DR

My female friend was charged $300 for having LCD in her maleta just two months ago. Like a TV. She tried to argue that it was not a TV but a computer monitor, but without success.

So, it is all your luck. Depends weather your luggage is searched or not.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Between now and Christmas, there is no duty. There is a limit of $2500.00 USD, but you really have to work at it to get to that. We just came back Thurs. had new laptop, DVD player, 2 microwaves in our suitcases. They looked. We told them for our casa. There was a article in DR1 about this. It's due to Noel. We came thru POP. Hope this helps.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
We're coming thru POP. Boy, Oriole100 I'm impressed. How do you pack 2 microwaves and a DVD player in suitcases? We went to Frys and bought a 19inch TV during Black Friday but we are deciding 1. whether it will fit in our carry-on and 2. How much it will injure my husbands back carrying it and 3. How much more can it be to buy a TV at Pricemart

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you are coming through PP just give the customs guy $5 US in a handshake and he won't even open your bag. There might be one or two more with their hands out so be prepared. Make sure you don't bring any items in box's as these they have to open.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
We have 4 large hardside suitcases. the small microwaves fit right in. I think they were $46.00 at Wallmart. 19 in TV will depend on depth. We put thing in the suitcases because they don't get damaged. Remember the weight limit is 50lbs coach 2 bags each and 70lbs 3 bags each 1ST class. If you need any other info PM me.