Hair and skin Question...Living In DR

holita

Jun 6, 2006
My hair and skin seem to be FAR drier since I have moved to DR. It is strange because I would think with the humidity, they would not dry out, but instead, I feel like I am applying deep conditioners to my hair and heavy creams to my skin on a regular basis. I sometimes even have to apply vasoline or Olive oil to my skin....I do not know if it is the sun or the water or what.

Anyway, Questions are: Does anyone else have this problem? Any advice on how to get my hair and skin more mosturized? Anyone know what cuases this? Thanks!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
My hair and skin seem to be FAR drier since I have moved to DR. It is strange because I would think with the humidity, they would not dry out, but instead, I feel like I am applying deep conditioners to my hair and heavy creams to my skin on a regular basis. I sometimes even have to apply vasoline or Olive oil to my skin....I do not know if it is the sun or the water or what.

Anyway, Questions are: Does anyone else have this problem? Any advice on how to get my hair and skin more mosturized? Anyone know what cuases this? Thanks!
Quite the contrary for me.
That's what happens to me whan I go back up to visit the Great White North, specially in the winter time.

holita

Jun 6, 2006
I know..it is strange. I new orleans my hair and skin were never dry, but here I feel like I am constantly DRY! I do not know if it is the clorine in the water or what? Anyone with any suggestions?

holita

Jun 6, 2006
Ciacia...that is a good point! Never thought of that. I wonder what I can do to protect my skin.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I was the opposite when I lived in the DR...I couldn`t even use light moisturizers, because then my skin would get too oily...

And for my hair..it was fine with regular conditioners..actually my hair was healthier when I lived there than when I am in Canada, and in Canada I use a lot stronger conditioner too....

dr_qt

Jun 7, 2007
Could it be that you are more dehydrated in the DR from the heat and need to drink alot more water?
You may also want to think about any lifestyle changes that you have made that may also affect your skin and hair, such as, less sleep, stress, alcohol consumption, swimming more, etc...

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Could it be that you are more dehydrated in the DR from the heat and need to drink alot more water?
You may also want to think about any lifestyle changes that you have made that may also affect your skin and hair, such as, less sleep, stress, alcohol consumption, swimming more, etc...
That very well could be.
Docs are always telling us that we should drink more water.
Something has to explain her reverse condition.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I know..it is strange. I new orleans my hair and skin were never dry, but here I feel like I am constantly DRY! I do not know if it is the clorine in the water or what? Anyone with any suggestions?

New Orleans is a swamp as far as weather goes. I grew up in Charleston SC and it has very much the same weather, for the most part very humid throughout the year, even in the winter.

However, I have noticed that here in Santiago it is much more noticeably drier. The capital is more humid becasue it is close to the ocean, but here in Santiago we are about 600 feet above sea level. the main thing I notice is that here in Santiago on hot days, if I'm in the shade and there is a slight breeze I don't sweat. However, in Charleston or New Orleans, it won't matter - if you are outside when it is hot, you will sweat even in the early morning or late evening.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I have always had VERY DRY skin........

in the winter in Canada I actually had fish like scales on my legs and arms and right now my elbows are cracked, red and scabbed from the dry air.

I LOVE getting to the Dr as my skin clears up and my hair has more body than I know what to do with.

HOWEVER, I don't drink very many fluids in Canada but I down my 8 glasses of water a day in the DR. The salt air and water help to exfoliate the skin which also makes it moister so.........

I'd say someone needs to up their fluid intake and I don't mean with Presidente's (alcohol dehydrates rather than re-hydrates!)

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
I can see where dry might be a problem IF you are spending more time in chlorine and salt water. Plus, I tend to take at least two showers a day here, which does a number on your hair. If you hair is colored, the salt and chlorine will do it alone but the hard water will ALSO DRY out your hair and skin. The humidity usually keeps my face quite moist but the rest of my skin as well as hair suffers the same symptoms. I'm light-olivish-pinkisk skinned with naturally brunette--highlighted blonde hair. I find I have to use a very heavy conditioner. I'd never put vaseline on my skin but I do coat it with Burt's Bee's Apricot oil right from the shower.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
try increasing your intake of salt, i know it sounds weird but there is science behind my suggestion, can't go into detail now but trust me.

holita

Jun 6, 2006
Thank everyone for the advice!!!

I do not drink alcohol, so that is not the issue....But I think I am not drinking enough water. I am going to try to up my water intake. Also, I am showering more often here...so that could be an issue to.

Also, I was reading on the internet that New Orleans is FAR more humid that it is here, so for most people when they move to DR they are moving to a more humid place, and I am moving to a drier place, if you can believe that!!!;)

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
from DRchrisHE on another post about dengue fever, his formula for re-hydration was 1 liter water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 8 teaspoons sugar. this also works for chronic diarhea in children. in order to sweat, your body's cooling system, salt is essential and although you may be drinking lots of fluids, if you do not replace the salt you've lost, the system can't work as designed. think electrolytes, lots of them in gatorade, except gatorade people don't call them salt, they call them electrolytes, nobody would buy the stuff otherwise. perspiration is not only made of water. taste it, it tastes salty. "OH NO! salt is bad!" ,"my blood pressure", "i only eat low-fat yogurt and free range granola". when you sweat correctly not only persperation surfaces but body oils as well and they protect your skin better than any lotion. skin is the largest organ of your body and it works from the inside out. putting creams and lotions on skin only cover the problem. they only moisturize already dead skin cells, giving flaky skin the appearance of moist. bust out the potato chips and margaritas, salt the glass. i would have gone into this last night but i had to see a patient, i mean client, i mean health care customer, to be politically correct.