Looking for a garage door

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Does anyone know where I could buy a garage door? Not a 'roll-up' such as used for store fronts, but rather a real 'old-fashioned' overhead type.
I'm in the POP area, but will be glad to contact vendors anywhere.
Thanks,
Buzzard

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
tall order, i have never seen one in this country. those in the US are mass produced, so i doubt they are being made here. i also think that it is not an item that would be imported for re-sale as there is no demand and they are rather large bulky items to ship. termites would just tear up a wooden one as they are made from cheap pine usually. perhaps in SD you might find one made from metal at one of the companies that do metal roofing. or go on-line, buy the hardware, have it made, good luck....

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Garage Doors

Induveca sells aluminum garage doors, if that's what you're trying to find.

I'm under the impression you are looking for the type of door that can be fitted with an electric opener?

Induveca has an office in Puerto Plata, just around the corner from Sam's Bar.

Thanks JD. Yes, I had Induveca come out to my house and measure last week. Still waiting for a quote which needs to come from SD, they say. Not optomistic, as they were supposed to give me a quote for a screen-room a few years ago, and never came through. Hence I'm looking for an alternate vendor.
Not sure about the electric opener part, though, for two reasons:
1. everything metal rusts quickly,as I live nead the beach, especially if not used daily, and I'm not yet able to be here full-time.
2. opening an electrically-operated door manually is much harder than when it's just spring-loaded & I'm not sure about putting the motor on my inverter. Besides, jumping out of the jeep to open the door in the rain occasionally will keep me from getting an overblown sense of entitlement.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I was going to say your best bet is to ask a Cabana owner. They all seem to have these doors installed. I don't remember ever seeing them in family homes...

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I was going to say your best bet is to ask a Cabana owner. They all seem to have these doors installed. I don't remember ever seeing them in family homes...

Exactly... they all have the standard garage doors with the electric belt motor like you will get them as a standard in the States... so SOMEBODY has'em... and lot's of'em and they can't be expensive.
If not... get the motor from Sears or HD online and have a guy weld you a metal frame for an old fashioned tilt over head garage door and panel it.
Diagrams can be found on-line.

... J-D.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Thanks for the info

Thanks for all your help.
As it happened, I was driving through Costambar a few days ago, and what do you think I saw on a newly renovated villa? Yup, a genuine Garage door! With a little sticker on the bottom, giving the installer's name & Phone # (in Santiago).
Then it got better. I drove around the corner, and there was the installer's truck, putting in yet another one at a new construction site. I drove the installer to my home & got him to give me a price. However, the good news stops there. He wanted over $1600US. (A subsequent source I found in Santiago also wanted over $1400US.) But I kept after Induca and actually got a better price, and in pesos. I'm having it installed in January, when I return.

Thanks, again, to all for your help. DR1 posters are the BEST!
Buzzard

May 8, 2009
Although this is a very old thread,

I was wondering if anyone else has recently been shopping for a garage door and what their experience has been.