need residency card for school?

gambler1234

Jun 7, 2007
My son and I are moving to Puerto Plata in December and I wanted to know if it was necessary for him to have a residency card in order to attend school there? He will be attending a private school but I never thought to ask at the school if a residency card was required. The application papers don't say anything about it.
Thanks

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Our kids haven't needed their residency cards for either VDMIS (last year) or Los Pininos (this year.) Which, I might add, is a good thing since we've been waiting, waiting, waiting, ahh, did I mention waiting? for 10 months to get through the process. We are technically legal but stupid things like the cedula plastic running out and then the printing machine breaking, and one of our kids' applications being separated from the 5 of us...all have delayed it. By the time we get them, we'll have to renew them.

I think that school may have a diff set of regs...maybe if you give them a copy of the passport and tell them "I'm in the process." Also, I think it depends on what grade. The 8th grade and above kids have to take the Nationally-mandated exams and I seem to recall something about them needing Cedula #s for that. Anyone verify?

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
No private school will ever require a residency card. A birth certificate (from whichever country) and things like vaccination records, photos, medical certificates is what they always ask for. But as DRChrisHE says, registering for exams might be a different matter.