Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stronger flu in DR?

Over the past few days I got very sick with the flu - I was in bed with a huge fever, etc for 4 days straight. A friend told me she was so sick with the same flu last week that she was admitted to hospital for 2 days. We compared notes - and realised that we both were almost as sick about 2 years ago.

But in my life overall, I don't have a tendancy to get sick.

The doctor I got antibiotics from said that people often overuse them here since they're so easy to get. Then the antibiotics lose their effectiveness - I wonder if this gives the germs a chance to become stronger?

So I have 3 questions:

1. Do other people think that when they get sick here that its worse?

2. Do you think it could be caused by people overusing antibiotics?

3. Are there flu shots worth taking?

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know about 2 & 3, but I am positive that the DR flu is the worst that I have ever encountered.
    I bet that it kills people in weakened condition..

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

If you take prescription meds for every illness you have even if you don't need them, you get to the point where when you really need them they are less effective.

Remember when you are prescribed meds from a doctor always finish the prescription even if you feel better before you have taken all of them. You are given a certain amount for a reason. And yes the flu shot does work. It doesn't prevent you from getting the flu but does lessen the severity of it if you do get it. You need to have a flu shot every year so your immunity system builds up a resistance.

This is just advice I have learnt over the years, but go and see your own doctor if you have questions.

curlyq

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the theory of overuse of antibiotics has validity, however, this is common in the states as well. In fact, there have been a number of deaths lately due to a strep infection that seems to be common in hospitals.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Antibiotics are useless towards flue. Do not take antibiotics if you have flue, because flue is a virus.
    AZB

Post Thanks / Like

Worth pointing out, AZB. It's amazing how many people you hear saying they've been to the doctor, who said it was a virus and prescribed antibiotics.

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

But we should also clear up that these DR flues can get so bad as to give you lung infections, in which case, antibiotics may be necessary.

.............. ?
    Post Thanks / Like

AZB as always is correct. BUT here they want antibiotics for everything - including a headache.

I had the flu and ended up in hospital for 3 days. Then just when I thought I was better it came back with a vengeance! It took me almost 2 1/2 weeks to get over it.

My opinion, the flu is worse here. But maybe it is just that we are not accustomed to the strains of flu here? Or we have no built up antibodies? I'm not sure but it feels worse!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I had classic dengue 2 weeks ago... 5 days of fever... Then a skinrash
    It's about gone now...

Post Thanks / Like

Squat, Planner, adrianb - sorry to hear you've been so sick.

Sods law dictates that I'm bound to fall ill with a crippling case of flu or dengue as a result, but dare I mention that I hardly ever get sick?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast