so i got a job offer in Punta Cana

Miss November

Oct 5, 2007
from-paradise.blogspot.com
So on my last visit to the DR, i got a job offer from the hotel Bavaro Princess to work with them as public relations, guest service... my food and housing will be accomodated and i will be paid per month...not a big amount i might say 400$...
Now im thinking if i should go for it or not...to gain more experience and to perfect my spanish language, and to gain experience working in a hotel wich could open my doors to other possibilities...

Veryyyyyyy lost...i need some pros and cons here guys...pleaseeee

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
HI

I am curious to know how you got the job. Do you live in the DR or were you visiting and applied while there? I am interested in knowing how I can apply for that kind of work.

Can you pm me if you don't mind?

Thanks

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
This isn't a pro or a con, just a question. Do you know for sure that the job will still be available to you after you have made a decision? Not being the voice of doom here, but I'd hate to think of you moving and then it not being available - wouldn't be the first time this has happened........so, whatever you decide, please do your best to ensure that the offer is for real.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
This isn't a pro or a con, just a question. Do you know for sure that the job will still be available to you after you have made a decision? Not being the voice of doom here, but I'd hate to think of you moving and then it not being available - wouldn't be the first time this has happened........so, whatever you decide, please do your best to ensure that the offer is for real.

Very wise words. Lambada is right on the mark. Listen to her words.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Con: about a year ago i thought about going for a graphics job in P.C. that someone listed here. At first I was really tempted...but PC is pretty much all resorts...and i figured i would become bored pretty fast. I lived in P-town years ago on cape cod...and working in a tourist town gets old FAST.

If i were ever to move to the DR for work i think i would have to live in the capitol. As much i love the beaches etc., while on vacation i would need urban life and culture to feed my need for knowlege, culture art and music. I could always enjoy the "paradise" part of the island on my spare time.

Even while on holiday I get bored after a while on the beaches and enjoy a few days in the capitol.

Just MHO.

I would listen to Lambada as well. why would they just "hold" this job for YOU? be sure it is a CERTAINTY and not just a way to get you to go back for another trip.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
the bigger question is,,,,,,,,,,,,,what are you leaving behind?,,,,,,,,and what is plan B in case plan A doesn't work out?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you say, you don't speak spanish perfectly, 400$, food and lodging can be considered good pay for a lot of Dominicans that speak english and spanish. even though you may speak to a lot of tourists in english, you must communicate with other staff in an effective manner to address the needs of visitors. will you be on the phone dealing with travel agents, negotiating packages for groups of tourists all day? there could be money in that, or are you going to be organizing volleyball games at the pool wearing a bikini? staff at dominican hotels put in tons of hours, i doubt it's a 40 hour week. the hotel may be nice, but you may be staying in a dump. i wouldn't burn any bridges up north. if it is any type of decent job you should at least in be touch with someone of importance, manager, not head pool boy, via E-mail on a regular basis and you should be familiar with more than just 1 person at this hotel. it could turn out to be the best thing that ever happened to you. i say, if your not giving up a promising career as the assistant head cashier at bob's tractor supply, go for it. make sure you come with a roundtrip ticket and cash. do not bring much, 500 would be about what you would need if forced to leave quickly and find other accomodations, hide the money, be prepared to walk away from the place and head for the nearest taxi. make a few friends on this board that live in this area that you can contact in an emergency. have someone at home up north that can wire money. i wish you all the best. coming to the DR, alone, without knowing anyone, for me has been the greatest blessing and i wish only joy for those that come here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but, be prepared to leave.....

Miss November

Oct 5, 2007
wow thank you so much for all your words and advices... to ansqwer the question, yes its a for sure thing, i have spoken to the general manager and i am still in contact with the manager of the hotel, they asked me to work there because i speak 5 languages and they absolutly wanted me in, i also have about 7 8 good friends in the hotel theat i knew from previous trips and i know a couple of friends form canada who work as destination reps, so hopefully this is ognna be good enoughhhhhhhhh

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Chris is right, if you do not have anything in writing, it definitely is not a sure thing.

That is one of the first things you should be aware of in the DR, words flow freely, actions don't! It sounds like you have only been to a resort and never lived there. Listen to those of us who have been there, did it and got the t-shirts!

Call the manager, if he is serious he will not hesitate to fax you the conditions of employment as well as stating the salary promised. I say fax because it should also be signed by him so there is something binding.

I would hate to see someone move for a job, only to arrive and have it all collapse around you. Where would you stay ( or is one of these 7 or 8 friends your boyfriend?), how would you live not knowing anything about the DR except for a few AI stays? Life is extremely different living there than vacationing there. These two are at opposite ends of the spectrum - believe me.

If you are serious - you should have all your i's dotted and t's crossed before you make the move. Did they also say anything about helping you out with your work visa? This isn't a matter of just packing a suitcase and moving - there are legalitites to consider as well.

Do your homework first, to avoid any disappointment.

Marlie

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
If you speak 5 languages then you can get a lot better salary than that. Remember that they'll take away part for taxes, health insurance and retirement fund. Send me your CV and I'll see what I can do here.

XXX

Banned
Nov 14, 2007
The pro is that is a descent job offer, food and accomodations included that?s nice, but the con is that whoever offered you the job better not be attracted to you otherwise you?re in for a big surprise. Other than this you got a good offer. Maybe I should head over there and apply myself. Good opportunities should not be left behind .

Miss November

Oct 5, 2007
hey guys
ok so for your questions, yes they did my visa papers, and yes i have a contract and a copy of it wich i will give to my mother and copy 3 other to keep for myself, the person who hired me is not attracted to me & he is the general manager of bavaro princess hotels,

all the legal issues have been taken care of as well, and i have been OUT of the resort many times and i have bbeen in the city, and it is alot diff than the resort...
i think i covered most of the questions :)