Permit to Drive a Public Car

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Can anyone tell me how much it costs to buy a permit to drive a public car in Santiago?

Do prices differ for different areas (within Santiago)?

Other than the rule that you can only drive every other day, are there any other rules such as the maximum hours in a day you can work?

I was told that anyone can drive using your permit as long as they have an ID card allowing them to drive - i.e. the name on the permit doesn't have to match the ID card. I am told this is common as many people cannot afford to buy the permit and so on the days in which they are not allowed to drive, they simply rent their permit to a friend to use. Is this correct? where's the security there? If you misplaced your permit or it was stolen, anyone who has an ID card can use it??? (until you cancel it or report missing, it I assume) :ermm:

Thanks in advance

daydream

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
If you're referring to a 'Concho" car then the price depends on the route as these run on fixed routes. It depends how profitable the route is. I never heard anything about only driving every other day.

Also understand that the "permit" you need is not just necessarily form the department of transportation, but from the public transportation union that controls that specific route. You have to be a member of that union to be allowed to work, otherwise if you try they will consider you "pirata" and you'll have huge troubles including bodily harm. These unions are very violent. They are basically like a gang who control certain territory...

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Also understand that the "permit" you need is not just necessarily form the department of transportation, but from the public transportation union that controls that specific route. You have to be a member of that union to be allowed to work, otherwise if you try they will consider you "pirata" and you'll have huge troubles including bodily harm. These unions are very violent. They are basically like a gang who control certain territory...

Is it difficult to become a member of the public transportation union? Or does that too depend on the route? What's the process to obtain membership?

Do they have a limit on the number of permits in issue/union members per route?