What is the best, most affordable health insurance policy I can get in santo domingo?

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
I do not want to be living in santo domingo without health insurance. What are some of the best policies I can get that will cover a major medical bill? I guess most plans include perscriptions. The good thing about the Dominican Republic, one does not need a prescription from a doctor for every single medicine one may need. All of you are giving me excellent information so I want to say thanks sincerely for the valuable anwsers to my questions about trying to make a go of really living in santo domingo and in the Dominican Republic.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
From what I recall you are considering a job in Punta Cana. I would suggest you visit Centro Medico Punta Cana and Hospiten and ask them which insurance plans they take and what they cover and then go from there.

In Santo Domingo, with the new SFS plans, my Palic medical plan used to be a good one, but now only governmental Plaza de la Salud (Cedimat) seems to be happy to take it, so I have relocated to make that place my primary care center, instead of taking on what the ARS want people to do, which is a "plan complementario" which means paying more money for what the insurance used to cover. If you would live in Santo Domingo, would then say go for the normal one offered by any of the major companies -- Palic, Universal, Humano, etc -- not the premium, and then look into Plaza de la Salud facilities. Note that I use the emergency at Plaza de la Salud, but use the physicians at Cedimat after getting to know them through the VIP preventive health plan. Plaza de la Salud is a big hospital, with long waits to see the physicians, but at Cedimat, this is expedited through the VIP plan, for which you would need to have a premium health plan (I have a separate US medical coverage plan with Universal that covered most of my VIP fees), and then you can continue seeing the physicians on your own, if necessary.

Feb 7, 2007
Dolores, what is a difference between Plaza de la Salud and Cedimat? Isn't it the same thing? Is Cedimat a unit within PDLS?
Just curious, would a regular health insurance (Humano Max, but not Premium) work there?

L

LarrySpencer

Great question Rubio....I second that question with Humano Royal. I've never actaully been over to Plaza de la Salud, nor have I even had need to go to a doctor here, but my wife has been going quite frequently (to the local Integral) and it is getting a little expensive, not to mention the medicine.

I've asked about pharmaceudical plans here at work, but haven't had much luck. Which would you recommend?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Both medical plans will be accepted at Cedimat and Plaza de la Salud. From my previous experience, nevertheless, only a premium insurance will cover the VIP plan. There is a deductible, even with the premium plan. But for other medical services, outside of what the VIP preventive medicine program calls, Cedimat will take regular non-premium insurance plans.

Cedimat is a unit within Plaza de la Salud, but it has its own board. Plaza de la Salud offers more medical services than the more specialized Cedimat.

Cedimat Tel 809 989 2195