i want one that will work in Canada and the Dominican Republic and is GSM

any suggestions?

i'm mostly sold on the
Sony Ericsson W580i - urban gray

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/prod...0i?cc=us&lc=en
http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/...tag=prod.txt.3

gpd_44767_1500_0_4000.png

but i'm open to suggestions, as long as they are GMS 850/1800/1900 at a minimum.

i like this one for the FM radio,with RDS, as well as the mp3 player. there are a lot of other features too.

thanks

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
i want one that will work in Canada and the Dominican Republic and is GSM

any suggestions?

i'm mostly sold on the
Sony Ericsson W580i - urban gray

http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/...tag=prod.txt.3

gpd_44767_1500_0_4000.png

but i'm open to suggestions, as long as they are GMS 850/1800/1900 at a minimum.

i like this one for the FM radio,with RDS, as well as the mp3 player. there are a lot of other features too.

thanks
I'm absolutely convinced that the Sony Ericssons are the best.
Some of our employees and friends have them, and not only do they perform really well, but they also appear to withstand way more abuse than other brands.
I know you don't want to be buying an expensive model, as they have a tendency to disappear, but there are some Sony models that take pix, almost as good as an average digicam, so it could circumvent your need to bring a cam with you.

These were taken with Milka's phone.

DSC00129.jpg

DSC00082-1.jpg

DSC00115.jpg

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com
Hi there, my daughter has a new Ericsson - not the exact same one as that but very similar. If its music you want it for then definitely go for it! The MP3 on them is awesome. Really nice phone to use too. If you like Nokia's the N95 is a lovely phone with a great camera. It really depends what you use it for most.

A

apostropheman

i was just reading about the N95 here:
Nokia N95 - Full phone specifications
it looks great but is a lot more phone and $$$ than i really need or want to spend. i have a great, little, digital cam so i am not worried about the cam in the phone. if the priced were similar i would be thrilled to not have to carry the cam with me but i rarely use it unless on vacation so it's not a day to day issue. i also have a decent little mp3 player with an FM tuner so again even the music feature is not critical...but certainly tempting :)

i have about 2 weeks to figure all this out. i may just buy an inexpensive GSM phone and be done with it although if i could find one with both an FM radio and an excellent camera at a price i am willing to pay i may go crazy and get it...and sell/give away the others stuff

thanks for the suggestions/thoughts Rocky and Kate :laugh:

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com
i was just reading about the N95 here:
Nokia N95 - Full phone specifications
it looks great but is a lot more phone and $$$ than i really need or want to spend. i have a great, little, digital cam so i am not worried about the cam in the phone. if the priced were similar i would be thrilled to not have to carry the cam with me but i rarely use it unless on vacation so it's not a day to day issue. i also have a decent little mp3 player with an FM tuner so again even the music feature is not critical...but certainly tempting :)

i have about 2 weeks to figure all this out. i may just buy an inexpensive GSM phone and be done with it although if i could find one with both an FM radio and an excellent camera at a price i am willing to pay i may go crazy and get it...and sell/give away the others stuff

thanks for the suggestions/thoughts Rocky and Kate :laugh:

You're welcome. If I think of any others I'll let you know. What do you have at the moment? I have a Nokia 6300 and its a lovely phone - its got everything I need (only thing is I've had it a few months now and I'm bored of it- roll on upgrade time) The camera's only 2mp and the MP3 is pretty good but not that much memory - you need the memory card with it definitely. Other than that have you looked at any Motorola's? - I'm not keen on them myself but I kow alot of people that really love them. There's the new Razr (can't remember what its called - but its a flip one and the front screen is a touch screen, nice little phone).

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Sony W5801

I have a Sony W580i and can highly recommend it.

Lots of features, very solid, reliable handset with great battery life.

daydream

A

apostropheman

excellent, thanks!
I have a Sony W580i and can highly recommend it.

Lots of features, very solid, reliable handset with great battery life.

daydream
i'm off to the mall to see what's available :)

i need to find out the policy of the different carrier re: unlocked phone activation.

i'm basically limited to Rogers or Fido , both owner now by the same company. i understand that Rogers normally does not activate unlocked phones but i must clarify for both.

alternatively i guess i could just purchace their cheapest GSM phone on a plan and switch the SIM to my nes phone...if i go the unlocked route...which i think makes the most sense.

A

apostropheman

i have a Samsung a920
Faze - Reviews - Samsung a920
10081683.gif

from Bell Canada and it's CDMA.
good phone but it's time for a new and much better phone.
You're welcome. If I think of any others I'll let you know. What do you have at the moment? I have a Nokia 6300 and its a lovely phone - its got everything I need (only thing is I've had it a few months now and I'm bored of it- roll on upgrade time) The camera's only 2mp and the MP3 is pretty good but not that much memory - you need the memory card with it definitely. Other than that have you looked at any Motorola's? - I'm not keen on them myself but I kow alot of people that really love them. There's the new Razr (can't remember what its called - but its a flip one and the front screen is a touch screen, nice little phone).
i generally don't like motorola's and prefer nokia, samsung and, of course, sony ericsson...or even LG depending on the model.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Here's one if all you need is a phone..

.. Nokia 3100 (if they still make them), simple and the battery last a week, no camera, MP3 player etc. etc. just a phone. I've never used in Canada but I'm using it in the Middle East, Europe, US and the DR. I have six different phone numbers on the same phone just swap the SIM card.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
One of the problems with the cheap phones is that they have cheap D/A converters in them, and the audio sounds poor to people at the other end.
If you're struggling in Spanish and talking on a bad sounding phone, you might land getting a date with the chica's toothless grandmother by accident.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
One of the problems with the cheap phones is that they have cheap D/A converters in them, and the audio sounds poor to people at the other end.
If you're struggling in Spanish and talking on a bad sounding phone, you might land getting a date with the chica's toothless grandmother by accident.

Aaah.. that's why I used to do OK but when I started using that phone everything went to sh*itt and I ended up with all these ug*y bit*hes. I power up my N70 again. I'll see if I can take them to court. Thanks Rocky.

irrrrrnal

Aug 8, 2006
Just thought I'd add my 2 cents here.....I took my phone to "wireless way" store and had them unlock it(Motorola) for $25, when I got on the island....I purchased an Orange sim card.....good for 2 months. I just used phone cards then I didn't have to worry about 500$ Rogers wireless bills when I returned to Cda. Just a thought for you to ponder/consider.

jessicalee_nv

Jul 1, 2004
Just thought I'd add my 2 cents here.....I took my phone to "wireless way" store and had them unlock it(Motorola) for $25, when I got on the island....I purchased an Orange sim card.....good for 2 months. I just used phone cards then I didn't have to worry about 500$ Rogers wireless bills when I returned to Cda. Just a thought for you to ponder/consider.

My phone is capable of roaming internationally with my current sim card, will I be able to just purchase an Orange sim card and have it work in my current phone? If so, how much do they cost and where can I get one?

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com
i generally don't like motorola's and prefer nokia, samsung and, of course, sony ericsson...or even LG depending on the model.

I'd say definitely either go for the Ericsson then or a Nokia - personally I love Nokia's, I've swapped to different one's a few times but always go back to a Nokia. Try looking at the 6500 (which is really an updated version of the 6300 that I've got and love it) or the 6120c which looks pretty damn good too. Have you been onto nokia.com?

A

apostropheman

i decided to go with the sony ericsson W580i, as pictured earlier in the thread.

it has everything i want and while still basic, and all plastic...it does the job.

it's quite small but still functional, has an ok camera, no flash though, an FM radio, internet connectivity, is quad band plus EDGE, not 3G, and has really good sound quality for calls and music.

i got a great deal!
no upfront cost for the phone, and an 8 gig sony micro memory card is in the mail!

now all i have to do is wait till there is a crack to unlock it and i'll be able to use it in the DR too.