list if courses offered at PUCMMA

Sep 19, 2005
hello I am looking to send my GF to school since she didnt get her work visa. To me a lot better than her getting a job all week making 4,000 pesos a month..maybe...

and when I come to visit, she is at work all day, while I clean her house!! ha ha ,,not....

so Id like to know in english bascially what are the courses offered by this school. I am going down to discuss this with her, but I know all the literature she will be gettign will be in spanish...maybe Ill be able to ealize what the course is maybe I wont.

On a side note she went to school at UTESA for 3 semesters, then only 2 weeks into the 4th she quit. And she never made the 4th semester payment...now she wants her records...they wont give them to her until she pays for that last semester!!! 5,000 pesos.....

bob

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Shouldn't she be getting the courses herself if she wants to go? If she doesn't really care there's no point making her.

Sep 19, 2005
Shouldn't she be getting the courses herself if she wants to go? If she doesn't really care there's no point making her.

well as the man in her life...I want to DIRECT her....I am not saying what she is going to take.

I have told her first step...what do you want to do?

second step is to figure if there is a livelihood to be made learning that course.( my part)

she doesnt have any idea what the job market is in her own country right now , much less america , where she will hopefully settle down.

Sep 19, 2005
Id like to to pick a job in nursing. there is a huge demand in the US now and their pay is excellent.

the down side is usually horrific hours early in ones carrer.

bob

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Why not to bring her to the US and have her go to school here? I know a few doctors and lawyers from other countries who never got to do it in the US - too difficult to get a license. I have a massage/physical therapy license from back home and would have to pay at least $5000 to go to a massage school in the US and then pass the test in addition to be able to practice. Education in other counties if she is planning to work in the US is just not worth money and effort.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Bob, first get those records. Second, see the link with the degrees offered. It is simple enough even for your Spanish, haha!

Facultades y Departamentos - PUCMM Campus Santiago

I recommend that whatever degree that you recommend getting for her that if there is any accreditation required in the States to make sure that her foreign degree will still qualify, whether it be medicine, accounting, etc.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have to agree with the above posters.
1) Pay Utesa their money.
2) have her go to the PUCMM and see the admissions people.
3) If you want to help her (ie. steer her) towards a career path, see if she would like Physical Therapy, Nursing (which I think is still available, maybenot) or Hotel/Restaurant administration. Whatever. She will have to studyhard. The competition can be stiff.
4) You do have a friend in place, you know.

HB

Sep 19, 2005
well for sure we are going to have to pay to get those records...and she has already made a few trips to PUCMM and asked her questions. She has paperwork in hand for courses...it is just that i dont read spanish that good and so i asked here as well.

I figure that PUCMM being one of the best universities in the DR , that their credits would be honored abroad.

I told her that might not be true is she goes to one of the cheaper colleges in the DR....

like her sister wants to go nights and wants a companion!!..I said..I DONT THINK SO!!

I am not paying for you to hold your sisters hand...!!!!!!

and I wouldnt waste my money on night school if I have the choice for her...

I want her to make the school her number one priority with number 2 so far behind she cant see it well!!

she did mention that the school is dropping some nursing courses...

but they offer some specialty nursing careers.

I dont thnk she would be interested in engineering.

amd also my thoughts are that PUCMM would be a way better deal for education that an equivelant costing college in america!!!

more bang for the buck if she HAS TO BE IN THE DR!!!

thanks

bob

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Bob

Don't figure that her credits from PUCCM will be honored abroad - check into it. This is relativley easy and I'm sure most if not all of the documentation is free to be found on line. I'm familiar with this type of process because of my engineering background. If you are having any trouble with the research let me know.

Also, see link below for a Lic. Practical Nurse in the State of Conneticut as an example. All the stuff you need to know is there.

DPH: Practical Nurse Licensure

Chip

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
All PUCMM degrees are honored abroad. There are qualifications, of course, but the course work is honored and can be transferred. In fact, there are special programs in nursing whereby the university does the first two or three years training and then the student goes to Fairleigh Dickinson in New jersey for another two years and certification and jobs.

I will check to see if this program is still in place. The demand for nurses is huge!!

HB

Sep 19, 2005
hey Luis...do you think that PUCMM would accept or honor any credits earned at UTESA?

if not....I dont see the need to pay UTESA 5,000 pesos for the papers they have...

if they wont accept them, then she would be starting PUCMM as a freshman anyway!!! RIGHT?

bob

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
What about a teacher career, is something she can do there or in the US.
She can be a bilingual teacher or spanish teacher. There are certain cities in the US who have high demand for these positions.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
RE: Transfer of credits.
Due to the legalities involved, the PUCMM is obliged to accept all credits from any other accredited university in the DR. As a result, all of her credits over a C (I think) are transferable.

Unfortunately the PUCMM has dropped its degree program in Education.

HB

james

Jan 14, 2002
Bob,
The UTESA papers could be usefull down the road just to show on her resume that she had some previous studies and then moved on to the Big name school. And it appears the credits will be recognized.
Its only US$150. and if you are talking about putting her through PUCMM then this is not even lunch money. Anyway it would seem that they are due the money and its only right.
Good luck. Hope it all works out.

Moca

Jul 1, 2004
Good Luck

Bob,
The UTESA papers could be usefull down the road just to show on her resume that she had some previous studies and then moved on to the Big name school. And it appears the credits will be recognized.
Its only US$150. and if you are talking about putting her through PUCMM then this is not even lunch money. Anyway it would seem that they are due the money and its only right.
Good luck. Hope it all works out.

I have to agree with James. It almost sounds like "Don't be penny wise and
pound foolish." I would pay UTESA and just move on.