Best route from JD to Sosua

jessicalee_nv

Jul 1, 2004
Ok, just to set up the question. I am renting a car (thankfully my friend is driving) and staying in Juan Dolio for a week. Then we will be driving to Sosua for our timeshare week.

My questions are:

Approximately how long will the trip from JD to Sosua take?

What is the best (safest/easiest) route to get there? (don't know if any roads/bridges were damaged from the effects of Noel)

Are there any must try eateries on the way? (a girl has to eat you know!) :cheeky:

Any advice? things to look out for? etc.

Thanks,
Jess

JD to Sosua

Might be better if Robert from DR1 answered, he travels often from SD to Sosua. I will send him a pm.

If it we me, I would take Hwy 3 into Santo Domingo and find HWY 1, take it north to the Moca turn off and then Hwy 21 to Sabaneta then 5 to Sosua.
Last time I took this route from Santiago to Cabarete it was a decent road with great scenery.
I am not to sure about the #25 road from Santiago

jessicalee_nv

Jul 1, 2004
Thanks for the info and for PMing Robert. I'm going to print out your directions and take them with me for a frame of reference even if others post different directions. In previous years I've just gone by bus from south to north and never did I even bother to pay attention to the roads. Silly me. jajajaja

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks for the info and for PMing Robert. I'm going to print out your directions and take them with me for a frame of reference even if others post different directions. In previous years I've just gone by bus from south to north and never did I even bother to pay attention to the roads. Silly me. jajajaja
If you PM me your email address, I'll send you an interactive map of the country with all the route numbers, etc.

Juan Dolio R3 - R1 - R25 R5 Sosua

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
NOBODY IN THIS COUNTRY CAN NAME YOU TWO HIGHWAYS BY NUMBERS!!!

Look, things are not that complicated:
You go left from Juan Dolio to Santo Domingo. You take the ELEVADO to the SECOND light after you come down from the elevado. This is Ave Tiradentes.
You go to John F. Kennedy, which is also an elevated roadway, but you go under it and to the left. Stay on JFK (on the center or right hand lane) until you come to the Duarte Highway. (No turns at all.)

Follow the Duarte Highway (toll road RD$30) until you come to Santiago.
The easiest route is to follow the sign to PTO PTA. It is fairly well marked.

In Santiago you will go to the right, past the Hollywoood movie place and then over the elevated road (flyway to the Brits) and turn right at the first light after the elevated. That road will end on the highway between POP and Sos?a. Turn right. The first stop light you come to should be Sos?a....

If you are confused, send me a PM and I'll explain in greater detail...

TIME: Juan Dolio to Sto Dgo (1 hour)
Across Sto Dgo (Depends on traffic, but generally speaking 30-45 minutes)
Santo Domingo to Santiago: 1:45 with no stops
Santiago to Sosua: About 1:15 by the shortest route.

Where to eat: In Bonao there are red and yellow signs indicating the T?pico Bonao: By far the best restaurant on the highway. It is about ten minutes after you go over the bridge over the Yuna River. It is a major bridge so you will recognize it. The signs are well placed so you can see them The northbound Tipico is on your right.

There is a famous sandwich place called Miguelina's but I think it is too over priced for what they offer.
It is just before the Tipico on the same side.

HB

jessicalee_nv

Jul 1, 2004
Hb You Rock!

Hillbilly, you gave me exactly what I was looking for! :bunny: THANKS! I've printed out the directions, along with the times and the recommendation. We'll definitely have to try that out!

All the main roads are still operational right? I know alot of roads got washed out and some bridges have some serious damage, but I got the impression that the main roads were intact?

I am just too excited for this trip! It is almost like coming home. ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am going to Santo Domingo in the morning so i will have a better feel for things then. (You might want to look up "dms3611" who posted about road conditions last week. However, reports still say that there are two choke points where traffic is diverted over one of two bridges crossing an important river or stream. At at least one of the choke points there have been accidents when people were not paying attention and either hit on-coming traffic or were rear-ended when they stopped to let someone pass through.
So be careful. They are supposed to be well marked.

Otherwise, the roads are good (not perfect) but good.

In the daytime, you should have no trouble at all.

If you PM me, I'll give you a phone number you can call for directions if you need them at any point along the way...

HB

Last edited: