danes in DR

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Beware the Viking menace!

I'm English and my advice to Dominicans is don't let any Danes in. We did and they ended up taking control of half our country for a century.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
morlandg - send a Private Message to DR1 member Bok. He is Danish and probably knows of other Danes in the DR.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There were fewer years ago: Knut Aage Olsen and Paul????. They brought Bent Ahm to work with them in tobacco. Bent stayed, married one of the Paliza girls. Paul and Knut left. Knut is in Brazil and Paul is in Denmark.

Bok is one of the few still here, more or less. In Santo Domingo there used to be a store on El Conde called Johanson. It was the best place to purchase equipment for table tennis. Don't know if there are any of that family left.

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I met a Danish fellow here in Santiago w/his Domin. girfriend. He lived in Puerto Plata where he worked for an English speaking Amercan call center. That is all I remember, sorry.

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
Don't know 'many' other Danes down here.

I met an older couple in Bella Vista mall years ago. They were living in Arroyo Hondo and doing some missionary work. Don't know if they are still here.

In Punta Cana I know the golf pro at La Cana golf club, Kim is Danish and his wife Anne.
In Bavaro there's Ragnhild and Anders working at Palmera Travel.

I enjoyed a dinner with Steen at restaurant Anacaona on el Conde some years ago. But he's only here occasionally working as a consultant for DanBrew, helping out Presidente and Bohemia maintain a constant alcohol level in their beer.

Then there's the owner of Playa Vista beach bar in Boca Chica, Flemming. Still writing on his second book. Read the blog. On the picture it's Flemming in the red shirt. Blog writer and co-owner Peter (brit) is wearing blue.

Then there's my old sailing buddies from D.D.'s melon run, both now living in Manzanillo, Lars and Gunnar. Well Gunnar is born Norwegian but has had a Danish passport since the 60's.

I've heard of a few more Danes down here. One working for Arla and the other for Maersk-Sealand but that's about it.......

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i work with a danish girl and there is few more "vikings" in POP....

johnsantodomingo

May 13, 2006
Apart from me I know of a guy called Henrik who works with real estate in Bavaro. And I know the newly appointed Danish Consul who is also the manager of Maersk Dominicana.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
....Then there's the owner of Playa Vista beach bar in Boca Chica, Flemming. Still writing on his second book. Read the blog. On the picture it's Flemming in the red shirt. Blog writer and co-owner Peter (brit) is wearing blue.

Flemming and Peter are good guys. I call Flemming "DR's Hamlet".

morlandg

Feb 20, 2007
Vikings

Thanks to all you guys who responded.
I've got the picture now. Not many eh!
btw - don?t add another one to your list. It?s my daughter-in-law that's Danish
Graham:glasses:

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Big Jan

Big Jan Neilson is arguably the best welder on the North Coast he has a shop just outside of Costambar. There would be no Ocean World if it wasn't for Jan
Oh by the way he's Danish.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
It took a few weeks when we first got her passport. Luckily we're not going anywhere soon. So... who's the consul now? I have everything ready, even the forms filled out.

johnsantodomingo

May 13, 2006
Two weeks? When was this? I have waited almost 3 months now. I had to cancel a trip to Canada. I planned it thinking I would get the passport in at least month. I lost mine in a mugging 3 months ago. Normally dont carry my passport on me but on that day I was taking some copies of it.