new sides walks for santiago (again?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Exactly when you thought the construction was over in santiago downtown and new side walks were installed, hahahaha. Now here comes another surprise.
It seems we had whole downtown santiago's sidewalks were ripped apart and the city had installed new ones. All seemed good and many businesses even put up their own money to install ceramic tiles and other fancy work to make their entrance from the street more appealing to customers. Now all of the sudden, the city decides to rip apart the side walks again (the ones installed 5 months ago) and redo all the work all over again. Seems like we are having some electrical wiring mesh installed underground. Maybe fiber optics network.
All the businesses who had invested in putting new ceramic tiles have lost it all. The whole dowtown sidewalks are broken down and are being reconstructed while tubes are being laid down.
So what are these tubes carrying? any ideas?
here are cell phone pictures.
7xxp9jo.jpg

8gi9xzs.jpg

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
8gi9xzs.jpg

The Blue is cold.

The Yellow is Warm.

The Red is Hot.

Don SantiagoDR

My Spanish may be BAD, but my French and Braille are Excellent!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Very funny santiagoRD, I will sure remember to laugh when I get home.
AZB

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
..... and in typical Dominican style:

They have the Blue wire going into the Blue pipe,
The Red wire going into the Yellow pipe.

Don SantiagoDR

My Spanish may be BAD, but my French and Braille are Excellent!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I think you are probably right in your assumption that it is fiber optic. All I can think is that it was installed incorrectly the first time or maybe it was just plain poor planning by the locals.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
If that is fiber, they've just broken it! There are strong specs on how fiber should curve, so as not to break the glass fiber inside. Fiber is usually black! That all could be ethernet.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I would think that the owners of the ceramic sidewalks would b!tch and cry and make whoever is laying the new lines (Oh so funny about the red wire in the yellow tubing!!

There should be some recompense. AZB, if you are in the area, why not ask one of the store owners if anything was done in that respect??

I am sure it is not fiber optics....

HB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If they are using the (APWA) uniform color codes, then it could be.

Blue: water.
Red: electric power lines, cables, conduit, and lighting cables.
Yellow: natural gas, oil, steam, petroleum, or other gaseous or flammable material.

Then again........

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
What about the green one sticking out of the blue pipe on the left top?

Well Chris,

You will never get a job working for the government, you ask too many questions.

(Don't Ask - Don't Tell)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It could still be fiber optics - remember, they will install the pipes first with a "feeder" wire in it and when it is all installed properly they will pull the final cable through.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok, I will ask around.
I think its fiber optics, new fast internet / telecommunication / cable Tv lines.
AZB

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
About a month ago it was published in the newspapers that the historic center of Santiago will have all of its above ground wires (electric, telecommunications, etc) placed underground in order to beautify the appearance of the streets.

Makes sense, given that much effort has been made in restoring the facades of the historic buildings and all the other upgrades that have been made across town.

This should had not been a surprise to anyone, especially DR1ers who live in Santiago. I mean, I knew about this for quite some time now and I'm not even in Santiago. :surprised

-NALs

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
They should make that area non-transit for motor vehicles, like El Conde. There is way too much traffic in that area, you could hardly move at rush hour.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
how will they seal the lines with water flooding in the street during hard rainy season?
AZB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
how will they seal the lines with water flooding in the street during hard rainy season?
AZB

They probably won't and the service won't work when it rains, haha!. Actually, I imagine the fiber optic cable is waterproof, just the junctions will need to be waterproofed.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Blue conduit is usually used for data communication cabling of some kind. Fiber optic cable is usually armoured around the outside with several layers of protection. One of the layers is a water barrier, sometimes the stickiest gel that you can imagine. It is hell to get off of the cable when you're terminating it. Special stuff for the hands is needed, but in a pinch, and in the absence of Brugal, we've proven that a little lim?n juice will work. ;)

From this picture, the cable bend radius will be exceeded for fiber optical cable - no matter what type of optical cable they want to put in. Unless they use the bigger blue conduit on the bottom. The bend radius is critical (minimum 6 inch) in order not to break the stuff inside or to weaken the glass fiber strands and disturb the light signal through the strands. Those glass strands are really very thin. Its very cool after a length of cable is pulled and you put the continuity tester (small light source) on the one end and you can see the light on the other end - truly light at the end of the tunnel!

Usually one avoids splicing optical cable as much as possible and runs of miles are pulled at one time, with a lot of cable pulling lubricant. You can pull an elephant on the other side of a fiber optic cable, as long as you're doing it dead straight and don't exceed the pull load rating. On a bend, you better know what you're doing. I would certainly take the elephant off first :laugh:.

People that splice opticals, are usually a little funny in the head!

Why don't you guys just stop and ask what the conduit is for?

Last edited:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Why don't you guys just stop and ask what the conduit is for?

That's funny Chris!

Which of the many different answers that we get should we believe?
Would be similar to asking someone for directions. :confused:

I would just go with it being communication lines, and let it go at that.

That was quite an enlightening post on fiber optic cable Chris, I'm impressed.
I have only worked with Cat5 with my son, one installation we used his 4x4 heavy-duty pickup truck to pull the cable through the pipe (There wasn't any elephants around). :laugh:

Don SantiagoDR

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hehehe! Yes, just which one of the answers should you believe? I know the story! But the answers at least could be really funny.

Fiber Optics? I love the stuff. It is quite a miracle that you have this heavy thick cable with all the armor around it and these thin and delicate glass fiber strands inside. And if you connect the glass strands to the right things on both sides of the cable, it transmits data! Miracle eh! I feel like a magician each time we do this kind of thing! It always makes me think of people that consider that their 'personal crystals' have magical powers of transmission of secret stuff. Perhaps its true and we all should have some 'magical transmitting crystals'.

Now I'm too far away from the DR and the mundane topic of breaking up the sidewalks yet again in Santiago! (My husband says that I'm a cheap date .. Instead of diamonds or furs or the latest in designer gear, he can usually just give me a piece of software or a piece of fiber optic cable to fondle and I'm happy!) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.