Hotel Maria Montes in Barahona

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Has anyone stayed in this hotel? I'm bringing a group of people to Barahona tomorrow and we have made reservations in this hotel but I've never stayed there, I want to know if it's ok. If it's at least the same quality as the Gran Hotel Barahona then it's fine, since I've stayed there and it's a good hotel for a good night sleep.

Feb 15, 2005
Marilyn, this hotel is fine. It's a family owned hotel and the owner Dona Glady and her husband Maximo are retired school teachers from Barahona. You could not fine nicer people in Barahona than them. They recently added a restaurant across from the hotel. Tell her that Richie spoke to you, hopefully it gets you a better deal.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Marilyn, this hotel is fine. It's a family owned hotel and the owner Dona Glady and her husband Maximo are retired school teachers from Barahona. You could not fine nicer people in Barahona than them. They recently added a restaurant across from the hotel. Tell her that Richie spoke to you, hopefully it gets you a better deal.

Thanks Richard, if you recommend it then it must be good, I'll certainly mention your name ;)

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
how did that go Marilyn?

Very good, I met Dona Glady, a very nice lady. The hotel was clean, A/C was good, electricity went out but emergency generator kicked in within a few minutes, parking limited in front of hotel but we parked across the street by the new restaurant (didn't get a chance to try the restaurant but it looks very nice, clean and certainly upscale). We arrived late and left early but had a good night sleep, I would highly recommend this hotel if you have a tight budget or are traveling with a big group and only need it for the night. It's very good for the price ($800 single, $900 double, $1,200 triple) and it has a nice family atmosphere and the neighborhood is very quiet at night, far away from the noisy central park and malecon, but close enough to get there in 2-5 minutes; I traveled with 9 other people and they were all very satisfied. The triple room was very good with three beds for $1,200 a night. In the morning, we found freshly made coffee (heaven) in the kitchen. I would definitely go back to this hotel.

Only downer: no hot water, but you're certainly wide awake after you take that morning shower.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Marilyn, look forward to hearing about your trip!

Working on a trip report and posting the pictures, hopefully it will be ready by tomorrow. I contacted the people you told me and they directed me to Mr. Beneco Enecia, mayor of Batey 7, 8 and 9. We went to Batey 9 with the donations.

Feb 15, 2005
hahaha, oops I left out the cold water part. You certainly will be wide awake. I apprecaite the feed back. Dona Gladys is a doll of a person and the proximity to the malecon is a bonus. Like you mentioned, there are few motorbikes in the area so a good sound sleep is all but guaranteed.

Thanks again for the post.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
hahaha, oops I left out the cold water part. You certainly will be wide awake. I apprecaite the feed back. Dona Gladys is a doll of a person and the proximity to the malecon is a bonus. Like you mentioned, there are few motorbikes in the area so a good sound sleep is all but guaranteed.

Thanks again for the post.

We decided to go to Los Robles restaurant in the malecon for dinner and it seemed all the motorbikes from Barahona and surrounding towns were there, there were hundreds of motorbikes stationed in the malecon, no wonder the city was so quiet.

By the way, Los Robles' food is as good as always but maybe they had a busy night or something because they were out of a lot of items in the menu, especially the mondongo (tripe soup) which is my favorite.

Feb 15, 2005
It was probably a busy night. That's awesome. What is the name of the restaurant to the left of the loading pier? It's right on the Malecon. It's pretty nice there and they have a great Sopa de Marisco. I know, I know, who in their right mind would eat soup in the tropics, but it's awesome with appetizers and a cold one.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Brisas del Caribe?

Yes, it's Brisas del Caribe. I love going there but never been there at night, I usually go there for lunch, it's really peaceful and a beautiful view of the Barahona bay. Their chicken cordon bleu is really good also.