I'm new 2 all of this and would really appreciate some help

chunka

Nov 16, 2007
I'm moving to the dom rep in nxt Jan, I'm bringing 3 thousand pounds to get me started. I've been to the dom rep 3 times fell in love an decided that i can't live in miserable England anymore.
I speak basic Spanish, very basic spanish but am willing to learn more.
I don't know much people there so I am a litltle worried.
I need work asap. I have alot of experience working for social services and other childcare oraganisations.

I'm in need of a cheap flat to rent for a few mths, whilst i look for a place to buy.
I'm planning to move to cabarete, puerto plata or sousa.

I would really appreciate some advice.
Thanku

chunka

Nov 16, 2007
such a quick reply i can't beleive it?
I was thinking to open an account when i'm over there

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Have you read through the Employment Forum, done a search for the 3 destinations you mention, searched 'Moving to the DR' or similar words? Lots of info there. Can I suggest you put a decision to buy property on hold until you have rented for at least 6 months? Wait until you see how the employment situation pans out.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Did i read this wrong. You are planning on coming with 3000 pounds which i beleive is about $6100 USD. ON a shoe string budget that might last you 3 months. You better do lots of research on this and other boards before jumping in. I also hope that you are not burning any bridges back "home" as you may very well need to return.

Bob K

chunka

Nov 16, 2007
thanx 4 the advice.
I'm so confused, i thought 3thousand would be enough to settle me in, whilst i'm looking for work.

Pls can u send me some pics and stuff of ur apartment adam, thanx.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
as someone who owns a property in DR and who would like to live there full time but is still stuck in the cold and damp Isle of Man, my advice would be to do one of two things...

1. Aim to use the trip as a 'gap year' type of trip, expecting to return to the damp, cold UK in 12 months time. ?3,000 would be tough but just about 'do-able' to last a year. Spend some time doing voluntary work (a back ground in care will be gladly utilised). Use the year to learn Spanish and the culture and to simply enjoy the experience, while doing some good while there. Then come back to the UK with an invaluable 'life experience'.

or

2. Get a job/stay in your job and plan properly. Save hard for a year or two and learn Spanish to a better level. Set specific goals and targets for yourself. During that period, find out much more about the country. Decide what type of work you want to do and how realistic it is for you to do it.

'Care' work in the Dominican Republic is among the lowest of the low in terms of wages. Unemployment is high and 'care' doesn't require any experience, often not even basic literacy. Within the better (private) clinics, qualified nursing staff are still paid a very low wage. So getting a care job will not be easy if you don't speak fluent Spanish and lowly paid if you manage it. Obviously, voluntary work brings in different issues and would be welcome even if you don't speak fluently. If you want different work, you may be best saying what work you'd look for. I'm sorry to sound negative about your dreams but I think you should make clearer plans and take your time to avoid dreams becoming a nightmare. Good luck.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Did i read this wrong. You are planning on coming with 3000 pounds which i beleive is about $6100 USD. ON a shoe string budget that might last you 3 months. You better do lots of research on this and other boards before jumping in. I also hope that you are not burning any bridges back "home" as you may very well need to return.

Bob K
The post is a bit confusing because he says the 3k pounds is just to get started, then says he needs work ASAP, and then says he will buy a place, then the next post again makes it sound like this is all the cash there is.
I would hope this 3k pounds is just a small portion of his cash.
I wouldn't even think about such a move if I couldn't afford to comfortably live without work for at least 1 year, preferably a few years.
Good luck.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Yo tambien....

The post is a bit confusing because he says the 3k pounds is just to get started, then says he needs work ASAP, and then says he will buy a place, then the next post again makes it sound like this is all the cash there is.
I would hope this 3k pounds is just a small portion of his cash.
I wouldn't even think about such a move if I couldn't afford to comfortably live without work for at least 1 year, preferably a few years.
Good luck.
That makes two of us....I am also a bit confused.

Chunka (I will ASSume you are a girl):

What's your hurry?....

If you felt in "love" with the country, take your time, save more money and plan "plan B".

The country is NOT going anywhere.

Now, if you felt in "love" with "anything" other than the country:

MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON YOUR SOUL because 6-7,000 will last you 2-3 months (if that).

Suena suerte.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It could be the first name of one of Jack's relatives, but I do not think it is.

I suspect a lot of naivet? with regards to the DR and perhaps a degree of "innocence" that we are only somewhat accustomed to.

Let's give the poster the benefit of the doubt until more information is forthcoming as to the why of the move....

The poster should know that an Interpol letter of no priors is needed to reside in the DR. JIC.

HB

chunka

Nov 16, 2007
thanx 4 all of ur replies.
First of I'm a girl, and chunka stands for chunkamunka which is a nickname my mum used to cal lme when i was younger,(don't ask).

I know that I'm rushing and that such a big move needs alot of planning, but I really can't stand country and it's culture. I'm a black young women living in country that I feel has nothing to do with my identity. Now I understand the dominican culture is still very different but I feel at home there.

I thought that maybe i could bring 3thousand pounds and for themeantime try and findsome bar work.

There was a man there, but I've decided to leave it as friends as the last thing is needis a man getting in the way.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
A lo mejor estoy incorrecto......

thanx 4 all of ur replies.
First of I'm a girl, and chunka stands for chunkamunka which is a nickname my mum used to cal lme when i was younger,(don't ask).

I know that I'm rushing and that such a big move needs alot of planning, but I really can't stand country and it's culture. I'm a black young women living in country that I feel has nothing to do with my identity. Now I understand the dominican culture is still very different but I feel at home there.

I thought that maybe i could bring 3thousand pounds and for themeantime try and findsome bar work.

There was a man there, but I've decided to leave it as friends as the last thing is needis a man getting in the way.
I gather you have lived ALLLLLLL your life in the country you NOW don't like, correct?....

Well, what's another 1-2 years if it will help you make a decision that WILL definitely impact the rest of your life.

Read this very careful:

"The Dominican Republic IS a DIFFERENT "MONSTER"!!..... A "MONSTER" MANY thought they could "conquer", only to find out "the MONSTER" will eat them alive!.

It's hard to see the REAL DR when a person is in "vacation mode".

Plan, plan and plan some more!.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
. I'm a black young women living in country that I feel has nothing to do with my identity. Now I understand the dominican culture is still very different but I feel at home there.

Do you know why you feel at home here? I think if you could analyse this it would help you (I don't mean post it, just think about it for yourself). You see there are plenty of young black women here in DR for whom life is not exactly a bed of roses. Would suggest you do some reading around the race issue. If you were to move to a tourist area you could find yourself mistaken for being Haitian - frequently Haitian women in DR in tourist areas are labelled all sorts of things which you wouldn't want attached to you. Not saying this should prevent you coming here, but better if you are fully informed before making any move.

chunka

Nov 16, 2007
i'm so confused.
I understand the race issue in the Dominican, well when i say that i'm aware that some Dominicans and Haitians don't get along, 2 put it nicely.