la romana versus florida

Nov 17, 2007
hi everyone!
i am a dutch guy living with my wife and 2 kids in Spain.(ages 41-41-9-13)
we bought a condo for early retiring at a new resort called la estancia near la romana.
comparing the cost of living,temperatures,lifestyle,etc. makes us wonder what would be the pros and cons between living in Florida or DR and I hoped American and Dominican readers that know both places could gives us some opinions on this slightly philisophical question.
(we speak both Spanish as English)

thanks in advance! edwin

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Private bilingual education will be more expensive here than in Florida. On the other hand, university education should be less expensive, even when compared to a public university in Florida. After completing bachelor degree here, your sons could go on and get a masters abroad. Here you can afford to have a housekeeper. Weather is pleasant year round, never gets as hot as in Florida. Living here could probably cost you about as much as Florida or more if you are not careful.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
For the most part I gree with Dolores post, however, the cost of living here in the DR is much less than that of Florida compared to a similar standard of living. It will be much higher in fact in the Palm Beach, Miami area.

I currently live here in the DR but before that we lived in FL. I have visited Spain before and from what I can tell Spain is somewhat between the US and DR in terms of conveniences, etc. Therefore, coming to the DR will definetely be a backwards step with you in that regard, not to mention high end medical care, etc.

The other issue is finding work: in Florida, if you are a professional that will be easy - in the DR, impossible for the most part.

The positives about the DR is the weather and the most part the friendly people. American people tend to keep to themselves and if one is used the the Latin friendliness, it will certainly leave a dry taste in your mouth. However, if one lives in a heavily hispanic populated section of town, things could different, at least in one's neighborhood.

Private education here is good, albeit characterized by a strong atmosphere of elitism among it's students, after all, only the affluent can afford to send their kids there and in the Dominican society, there is a definite feudal type class based structure, ie. if you have money one is automatically better than one who doesn't. Somehow they associate money here with personal value, ie. the more money you have the better, more superior a person is. Special kudos are also "won" by those with money of lighter skin. Nonetheless, to a lesser extent, with respect to this elitism, this can be found a lesser extent in the States. However, racism is still alive and well much more so in the US than in the DR. It is here but it is practiced by a small minority, so it may be possible to not see awhole lot of it depending on the circles in which you associate.

Also, if one has a job here and relativley fluent, life can be quite pleasant and will actually be much less hectic than the US. Driving around in Florida will actually be more stressfull in the long run than here in the DR, once one learns the rules of the road here. the propblem with the US is everything is so spaced out that one seems to spend a large majority of their life in transit, not to mention people are just getting to be downright nasty back home(road rage) or completely oblivious to their surroundings for talking on the phone, watching a dvd or the gps, while driving.

Hope this helps

A su orden

Nov 17, 2007
Gracias Dolores and thanks Chip!
for what I see on the internet prices for realestate in Florida have a similar level for what I paid for a condo in DR, but as you mentioned Chip I supose that a DR condo for that price could be considered a middle-high level one, and for that same pricelevel it would be a middle-low level condo in Florida, or in a rougher area.
Refering to your comments on the cost of living Dolores I noticed low prices on local stuff and outragous prices for lunch at Casa de Campo which is close, but I supose living in the US pushes you more to consuming then de DR.
another thing I would like to compare is crime and personal security between the US and DR.
with other words :what did make you guys leave the US and stay in the DR apart from the excellent people and climate!
again many thanks for your comments. slds/edwin

Last edited:

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
forget florida, i spent 20 years there, i am in and out of the DR for 18 years, apt. owner in SD. I pay no taxes on a 3 bedroom penthouse, zero, nada, 000000.000, in florida, i am guessing but i would think for equal house or apt. maybe 5000 dollars a year, 5000 school tuition easily take care of your kids here. florida is hot and flat, get in the car and drive 3 hours and you will be someplace else hot and flat, that looks just like the place you left 3 hours earlier. you get tired of going to the beach after a while. hot and flat with houses and chain restaurants that are all the same. i spent 20 years in Key West, the florida keys are beautiful, but the developers have managed to homogenize what was once a paradise, the reef there is dead. there is crime in florida too.................................forget casa de campo, ,,,,,,,casa de campo is not the DR.....................disneyworld is in florida, it is not florida.........

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
FL high cost are Property taxes and homeowners insurance. Taxes on my home are $3200 and when it sells the taxes will double. Homeowners insurance rates are going up triple digits for less coverage. The deductible for a named storm is 4%.
Many retires Who moved to FL are leaving.
Health insurance is expensive. On my wife's school policy my portion was $520 a month. I am now on Medicare for $93.50 per month with much better coverage and almost no co-pay.
Tampa is a beautiful area with a large Hispanic community and some of the country's best private schools. Tuition for the better schools is $12,000+.
Homes in FL are not selling. It is a buyers market if the buyer can qualify for a loan.
Electricity is much less per KWH than the DR and is always on. However, all homes have central air. Our late spring, summer and early fall power bill exceeds $400 per month.
The postal system works and you feel completely safe in your home.
There are pluses and minuses to both. I hope to choose the DR.

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
All that being said, I would certainly choose FL if I were you. I have a beautiful 4 BR, 3 BA with pool and golf course frontage that would be perfect for you and your family.

N

naturelover

are you allowed to just decide to live in America isnt it more difficult than that

trini-rican

Nov 17, 2007
FL or DR

I live in West Boca Raton, FL where there's hardly and crime. The neighborhood is gated the public schools are the best in the state so you wouldn't need to pay for private schools. If you like Miami it's only a 1 hour drive. I have several Florida properties for sale. Several 2br/2ba apartments and a 6br/4ba executive pool home w/ 3 car garage. The neighborhood consist of a many Foreign Nationals. Canadians, Argentinians, Danish, Brazilians, and Italians. People of affluence, if interested email me for photos.
soniafern@gmail.com

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
in florida you stay home in the air-conditioning and watch the adventure on TV. in the DR you are in the adventure....................................case closed..............

Nov 17, 2007
thanks again for your repplies.
We planned to go for 2-3 months periods per year till my kids go to university, and then try to sell my small business and retire early (55) so I have no need for working permits etc.
Therefore knowing what will be the bext place to have our official residence as retirees as well as taxes and cost of living will be very importent, because my income will not increase and we will try to live of rents/investments,etc. we are trying to make while we are still working.
So the health insurance,home insurance, and taxes in the US do play an important role.
slds/edwin

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
I live in both places, north central Florida and the DR. Comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges, so it is difficult to rate one over the other. Each has it's advantages and allure. However when considering schooling for your kids and if you have to work to support your family, Florida wins hands down. Granted south Florida and other high population cities can be a bit of a hassle, however the northern half of Florida, from about Lake Okeechobee north, is still sane and life is relatively easy. And yes, taxes and insurance costs more, but then you get something/services for your money,...not the case in the DR at all.

Hurricanes? Yes Florida has them and as long as you're not right on the water on the coasts, you don't really have much to worry about. BTW, the DR's southern coast sees as many or more hurricanes with far greater intensity than Florida usually sees. The cost of living has become comparable in both locations and in fact, living up to Florida standards will generally cost more in the DR. The quality of health care is also an issue. With the exception of several facilities in Santo Domingo and Santiago, good health care in the DR is iffy. Schools? Don't even consider public education in the DR. Private schooling will be necessary.

So practically speaking, Florida wins. On the other hand if you're looking for an adventure in life, choose the DR.

BTW, after more than 20 years in the DR for my wife and 11 years for me, when we sell our hotel in Las Galeras and retire, we're returning to Florida and Canada. In this lifetime you're only alloted so much time in paradise and have to move over and make room for someone else.

Last edited:

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
Andy... your statements are Right-On

I live in both places, north central Florida and the DR. Comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges, so it is difficult to rate one over the other. Each has it's advantages and allure. However when considering schooling for your kids and if you have to work to support your family, Florida wins hands down. Granted south Florida and other high population cities can be a bit of a hassle, however the northern half of Florida, from about Lake Okeechobee north, is still sane and life is relatively easy. And yes, taxes and insurance costs more, but then you get something/services for your money,...not the case in the DR at all.

Hurricanes? Yes Florida has them and as long as you're not right on the water on the coasts, you don't really have much to worry about. BTW, the DR's southern coast sees as many or more hurricanes with far greater intensity than Florida usually sees. The cost of living has become comparable in both locations and in fact, living up to Florida standards will generally cost more in the DR. The quality of health care is also an issue. With the exception of several facilities in Santo Domingo and Santiago, good health care in the DR is iffy. Schools? Don't even consider public education in the DR. Private schooling will be necessary.

So practically speaking, Florida wins. On the other hand if you're looking for an adventure in life, choose the DR.

BTW, after more than 20 years in the DR for my wife and 11 years for me, when we sell our hotel in Las Galeras and retire, we're returning to Florida and Canada. In this lifetime you're only alloted so much time in paradise and have to move over and make room for someone else.

Good observations Andy. Agree totally with you. And being an avid boater myself, forget the DR as a boater paradise, too many issues with the Marina de Guerra, in particular the Samana Penn. Florida/S. Florida offers many more better Boating opportunities, with much less trouble.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I lived in SE Florida for 6 years until 2001. It did change in those years, just like everything in life changes. But I just go back from a trip of one month there and I could not believe how badly it now had changed... America has changed... but let me try not to get off topic.
Anyway, mid class living in Florida may have been somewhat comparable to living in Casa de Campo or some other up grade development in the DR, years ago.
I think that is not the case anymore.
While middle class style living now will be more expensive in S Florida, luxury living in the DR can quickly get very closely as expensive as it would being in Florida and there, you'd get the most bang for the buck. The main issue being, that once you stick out too much, things like safety becomes an issue... just as an example. All acquisitions become hard to get by items, imported and submitted to exorbitant customs taxes and so forth. Little competitiveness too.
In anyway, if you believe Florida life style now is anywhere remotely comparable to living in the DR, you may probably be ill advised to come here. Yes, it's hot here and there, and there are palm trees and beaches... but a country is still mostly defined by its people, while this may be less flagrantly apparent while locked inside Casa de Campo... living here or there is only enjoyable if you like either culture. But not knowing either well, I think that trying to adapt in Florida may still be easier and less of a bankrupting experience than taking a cold dive here.
Living IN La Romana or any other Dominican town or city can in no way be compared to living anywhere else in the world.

I lived in Spain too... Costa Blanca... again, sea, some palm trees but lot's of Spaniards too. It's not comparable... even if the language is remotely similar ;)

... J-D.

Last edited: