Thanksgiving ingrediants?? Help needed...

holita

Jun 6, 2006
I am making Thanksgiving dinner, but I am having a hard time finding a few ingrediants. I have looked at National on Nunez, La Sirena, and Plaza Lama....any other suggestions?

I am looking for sage, fresh cranberries, thyme, canned yams, poultry seasoning and nutmeg. Thanks!!!

I can use Auyama if I cannot find the canned yams and I found canned cranberries....BUT I NEED NEED NEED sage and poultry seasoning...I am willing to take any suggestions!!! Thanks!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Sage in Spanish is salvia, if that's any help. Of all the supermarkets, Bravo (branches on Churchill and Enriquillo) seems to have the most comprehensive choice of dried herbs and spices. All supermarkets will have nutmeg (nuez moscada). Nacional has a special Thanksgiving section - at least they did last year - so it's worth asking.

holita

Jun 6, 2006
Thanks....I will ask for Salvia...that helps. I will also go to the BIG Nacional tomorrow and ask about the Thanksgiving section...that should help!!!

Anyone with suggestions with the fresh cranberries? Or should I just give up on that one...:ermm:

And the canned candied yams?

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
In 13 years here I have never seen fresh cranberries so I always buy dry ones in canada, so you will have to go with the canned stuff...same with canned yams, use the ahuyama!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Iberia in San Pedro has sage (mcCormick's brand) and

thyme so I'm sure you'll find in somewhere in SD.
Poultry seasoning is just a mixture of sage,thyme,marjoram(use oregano in a pinch),rosemary,nutmeg and black pepper - easy to mix up yourself!

I have seen frozen cranberries but don't remember if it was at Nacional, Carrefore or megaCentro.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Sage

A suggestion for next year. (Sage is one of my passions.) It's right up there next to good sex. Only surpassed by basil. I have had a number of sage bushes here in the NY area for a gazzillion years. It winters over with no problem. In fact the more you abuse it the better it seems to mature.

My two favorite uses are: sage and butter with pasta. Some very good ravoli pan sauted with a mixture of butter and virgin olive oil and fresh
sage.

Or-whole chickens roasted with sage placed under the skin of the chicken. Drizzel with a green olive oil and roast. Simply force your finger under the skin and separate it a bit from the body of the chicken. Place your sage under the skin and you're good to go.

One more--not my favorite-is to fry the sage leaves and use as a garnish.

rubia2

May 19, 2007
Fresh cranberries (Ocean Spray brand, brought from US), squash (acorn, yellow, and other varieties), and decorative gourds are available at E.A.T. on Ave. Bolivar #221, 809-508-7000. Last year, the Nacional on Nunez de Caceres had them, but they didn't sell well. Canned cranberry sauce, Libby's canned pumpkin, and Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix are at most groceries used by expats. Try Carrefour for spices -- the bulk area in the produce section.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
thyme = diten at local markets

Everything is available if you look for it!! And, with the help of this board!!!

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Diten - I've heard that before and wondered whether it's Kreyol. The usual Spanish word is tomillo though.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I'll check with Cook tomorrow. I have heard tomillo.....
I'll have her bring some of everything back from her daily foray into markets near and far.

That sage and butter has me drooling.....hummmm, no pasta in the house.

Tomorrow.

HB

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
No pasta-No problem

I'll check with Cook tomorrow. I have heard tomillo.....
I'll have her bring some of everything back from her daily foray into markets near and far.

That sage and butter has me drooling.....hummmm, no pasta in the house.

Tomorrow.

HB

Couple of cups of flour,1 whole egg, table spoon of oil, salt. Mix. Kneed into ball.Roll out (use saran wrap like you would for pie crust) with rolling pin. Cut into squares. Homenade pasta with butter and sage--probably a $22.00 plate in NYC "high class" northen Italian restaurant. Your cost .80 cents.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Couple of cups of flour,1 whole egg, table spoon of oil, salt. Mix. Kneed into ball.Roll out (use saran wrap like you would for pie crust) with rolling pin. Cut into squares. Homenade pasta with butter and sage--probably a $22.00 plate in NYC "high class" northen Italian restaurant. Your cost .80 cents.

Wow, is that all? I need to make some. Can I make ravioli with the squares?

Sorry to hijack the thread but the sage thing had me drooling too. Inspired me to sautee up yellow squash, mushrooms, garlic and red pepper with fresh spinach in butter and serve with parm over pasta. But the pasta was from a box.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
It's not THAT easy

Wow, is that all? I need to make some. Can I make ravioli with the squares?

Sorry to hijack the thread but the sage thing had me drooling too. Inspired me to sautee up yellow squash, mushrooms, garlic and red pepper with fresh spinach in butter and serve with parm over pasta. But the pasta was from a box.

Hey c'mon for $22 a plate you only get pasta squares. In fact the name of this pasta is malfatto(SP) meaning badly made- the scraps from when you were making pasta dough--as for ravioli.

Back to Thanksgiving.
john