A report on the condition of the Autopista Duarte

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Today i drove the Autopista Duarte from Santiago to Santo Domingo and back.

1) The two bridges that were closed are now open and the PW Department has well marked the areas of cautions with yellow tape and orange signs.
2) Southbound, there is a very rough area just past the bridge over the Yuna River there in Bonao. It is obvious that the flood waters did the damage. Also obvious is that the government is working hard to shore up the river banks.
3) There were no dangerous places Southbound, just the normal spots where the top part of the asphalt is gone. Lack of maintainence.

4) Northbound. Northbound there are a couple of places, well marked, where water washed away part of the shoulder of the road on the right side. As I said these are well marked.

5) Once again there are no real dangerous spots on the road (well except for the toll booths in La Vega that you have to go through. Darn! I wish I had had my camera!! South bound, the roadway goes through two toll booths.
On the left had side, as one approaches these two booths there is a Yellow and Black sigh (<-) stuck in the grating just before the booths. Of course if you were to follow that sign, you would crash, head on, into the tollbooth's barrier!!!!

If there are any specific questions, jus' hollar!

HB