Goodwill in La Romana

seabail45

Jul 7, 2007
If anyone on this forum knows of any organization in or close to LaRomana that can donate a pair of sneakers and a large duffle bag to a teen.

I searched the internet and found nothing. I know we have many organizations in the U.S., but I found nothing online.

seabail45

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If anyone on this forum knows of any organization in or close to LaRomana that can donate a pair of sneakers and a large duffle bag to a teen.

I searched the internet and found nothing. I know we have many organizations in the U.S., but I found nothing online.

seabail45
Just to be clear, you know a teen in La Romana who needs sneakers and a duffel bag?
Is that it?

seabail45

Jul 7, 2007
Goodwill in DR

Yes, that is his immediate need. The teen has been invited to an important meeting to be selected for an educational experience next year. He will be with 45 other Dominican teens for two days from the DR.

I am trying to help him be more resourceful in his own area. I am an American and I help where I can; but I told him he cannot be dependent on me for all his needs; I am not a wealthy American by any means, but many times I am able to help him.

Sure there are poeple all over the world that can throw money at him, but that is not helping his situation in the long run. He needs education and skill. I paid for him to attend this educational function; and sneakers and a duffle are his immediate need at this time.

seabail45

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
OK,
I've read all your other posts, and I got the picture.
You have taken on a self imposed obligation to help this kid, and now it's getting too expensive.
It will always be like that.
As long as you can magically come up with money, as if it grows on trees, he will keep asking for more.
There is no limit.
If you gave him a car, he might ask for a boat.
As you say that you want him to learn how to stand on his own two feet, how is getting someone else or an organization to give him things, going to help?
You don't think that this kid can borrow a pair of sneakers and a duffel bag?

I understand that your intentions are good, but you need to open your eyes and see what's going on.

seabail45

Jul 7, 2007
Borrowing....Good Idea. Why didn't I think if that. I will tell him that.

I have made it clear to him....I don't pay for personal "stuff" I will pay for items that will enhance, change or educate his life.

He has a chance to be an exchange student in a U.S. high school. I am attempting to help him through the paperwork process, which can be tedious and overwhelming. That is my contribution. His parent's don't speak English, but he does; so all my communication has to go through him.

This forum has helped me understand the culture in DR, and give me well thought out responses for this kid.

He is a wonderful kid and if I can get him through the process, I will be able to get one kid living in DR a chance to be an exchange student for years to come at our local high school.

Thanks for your words.

seabail45

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Borrowing....Good Idea. Why didn't I think if that. I will tell him that.

I have made it clear to him....I don't pay for personal "stuff" I will pay for items that will enhance, change or educate his life.

He has a chance to be an exchange student in a U.S. high school. I am attempting to help him through the paperwork process, which can be tedious and overwhelming. That is my contribution. His parent's don't speak English, but he does; so all my communication has to go through him.

This forum has helped me understand the culture in DR, and give me well thought out responses for this kid.

He is a wonderful kid and if I can get him through the process, I will be able to get one kid living in DR a chance to be an exchange student for years to come at our local high school.

Thanks for your words.

seabail45
Sounds good.
BTW: I think it's wonderful that you have such a big heart.
Just make sure nobody stomps on it.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Rocky of course is right. Seems the more we give the more they expect, and that goes for any one in need. We feel good when we can help others, and feel bad when we realize we are being taken. It can be hard to kno wwhen to draw the line. Be careful seabail45 and good luck.