Emergency we are under water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johanfitz

Nov 17, 2006
Been here on the Lagoon at La ceniga for twenty years. I have never seen anything like this before. My home, and all around me are under water. Septics are all useless, and fesses is floating. For sure there will be disease.
Due to all the development in this aria of Cabarete, and Punta Goleta the Lagoon no longer is emptying out. This needs immediate attention.
Can someone help by letting the propper authorities know .

I have two very old Lady's with Alzheimer's in my home. I am looking to rent a two bed room Apt. NOW. John Fitzgerald Phone 809-571-0619 Cell. 809-307-0321

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think that INDRHI and INAPA are two of the government agencies you might want to deal with.
That lagoon never had much flow to start with and these rains will certainly raise its levels. The development in the area will have taken some of the absorption away, causing more runoff into the lagoon.
Perhaps the developer can assist you faster then either of the government institutions.

You also might try Salud P?blica, since you say there is evidence of a major health threat.

HB

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Been here on the Lagoon at La ceniga for twenty years. I have never seen anything like this before. My home, and all around me are under water. Septics are all useless, and fesses is floating. For sure there will be disease.
Due to all the development in this aria of Cabarete, and Punta Goleta the Lagoon no longer is emptying out. This needs immediate attention.
Can someone help by letting the propper authorities know .

I have two very old Lady's with Alzheimer's in my home. I am looking to rent a two bed room Apt. NOW. John Fitzgerald Phone 809-571-0619 Cell. 809-307-0321
Is there water coming into the house?
Do you still have city power?
Other than a 2 bed apartment that I don't have, anything else we can do?

Johanfitz

Nov 17, 2006
Water at my door. 75% of the Dominicans in La Cenuga are under water. We still have power. But ceptics overflowing.

Johanfitz

Nov 17, 2006
Callejon De La Loma is in the same state as La cenaga. many are under water. Even when rain stops the lagoon will stay full until something is done. [The Lagoon not emptying out anymore.] All natural exits have been blocked. Last year I seen this problem developing. And raised my yard a foot. it's a case of very fast developing with no thought of consequences.

Johanfitz

Nov 17, 2006
Thanks Mark, but for now I will hang in and see what develops. Trying to move these ole Lady's is more work then I can do right now. I still have one toilet that can handle the waste, even though it backs up into anther a bit. I would Imagine this is so serious that something will be done soon.[making an exit for the lagoon overflow to flow.] Someone told me that Tourismo is on it and has put a hold on all construction in this aria.

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
Where does the problem stem from?

First of I'm I am sorry to hear about your situation. That is terrible. Unfortunately I do not have an apartment to rent to you.

Can someone with urban planning knowledge point out the problem with the lagoon? Is it that the development are built 3 feet higher, so the water all just drains to the low points? How can the problem be solved?

This is something that concerns us all, because this is a prime breeding ground for disease.

Johanfitz

Nov 17, 2006
Just one of the problems that i'm aware of.[and there are many more.] But just take Perla Marina. There was a under ground river that ran through there. But of coarse it interupted there development. They made short order of that exit. If you remember back about one, and a half years ago. You might have seen them working around the road way there? That was them working on that under ground streem. There are more along the shore. As i alway remember the lagoon would fill, then drain very fast. That stoped about a year ago. I'm a water type person and watch this kind of thing. even raised my yard a foot knowing that this was not the answer. Of coarse all the little homes being built in La Ceniga don't help.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
is any other area on the north coast experiencing flooding/rain problems at this point ?

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
John, Im so sorry you are in the middle of this, after the last bad rains, some of the poor Dominicans had to move out, some lost everything. Just today Im taking some children that are still sick to the clinic. But if any of you are coming on vacation please be kind enough to bring some childrens clothes, toiletries, towels, shoes. Karen from Sosua Kids has been brilliant but they need more of these essentials.

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
John, Im so sorry you are in the middle of this, after the last bad rains, some of the poor Dominicans had to move out, some lost everything. Just today Im taking some children that are still sick to the clinic. But if any of you are coming on vacation please be kind enough to bring some childrens clothes, toiletries, towels, shoes. Karen from Sosua Kids has been brilliant but they need more of these essentials.

Ladybird I will in Puerto Plata from Dec 7 to 21st and will be happy to bring some childrens clothing.
I am a director for Beyond the beach childrens foundation, let me know if you need anything specific and I will try to get it.
hifiman

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
is any other area on the north coast experiencing flooding/rain problems at this point ?

Last week the San Marcos river overflowed twice, Tuesday & Wednesday, flooding homes in El Javilar barrio, Puerto Plata (near Costambar). This was because, despite a multitude of promises, the San Marcos hadn't been dredged & recent heavy rains had silted up the river with mud from higher ground. Maimon was flooded also:
Puerto Plata Digital

Puerto Plata Digital
Now, at last, some work has started by INDHRI
Puerto Plata Digital

Johanfitz, contact the Governor, Cesar de los Santos & don't take no for an answer. The El Javilar people have been at this for months to get something done so please be persistent.

Finally Kyle, to answer your question, there are also some problems in Rio San Juan where the sea looks like entering Acapulco barrio - this has happened before & school & hospital were flooded.
Puerto Plata Digital

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Ladybird I will in Puerto Plata from Dec 7 to 21st and will be happy to bring some childrens clothing.
I am a director for Beyond the beach childrens foundation, let me know if you need anything specific and I will try to get it.
hifiman

Yes please, Karen and Dr Bob dont have much left, I filled my car up but it was a drop in the ocean when I saw the dreadful situation some of these poor people are in. It was heartbreaking. PLEASE if you or any others are coming soon bring childrens clothes, all ages, sweaters, shoes, blankets, towels, sheets, toiletries. If any of you have any contacts in the government please find out where all this money has gone that the President announced to the world he was contributing to help these people, because the areas Ive been in have not seen any relief whatsoever. The sad thing is that there are a lot of sick children now because of wet damaged clothes and beds etc. and their little shacks pretty much destroyed. Any foam contributions would be great to use as beds.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
1) Johanfitz: I told you that you have to go see INDRHI! They are charged with water related issues.

2) This is going to get worse before it gets better. We are now in the peak epidemic period after the recent atmospheric accident. This means that diseases related to floods and crowding and unsanitary conditions will start to peak during this week and next. This includes the much alluded to "leptospirosis". This is a terrible infection that comes from the bodily waste of animals. It is transmitted by contact with humans, either through eating with dirty hands or through small cuts or abrasions in the skin entering into contact with contaminated water or walking barefoot in infected areas. It in NOT just rats that carry the disease, but they are a prime vector.

3) We all need to be on the lookout for (a) Dengue and (b) Malaria. These mosquito-borne diseases area also related to water, which is the breeding ground for the vector.
Make sure there is NO standing water anywhere near your house. A dead leaf can house hundreds of mosquito larva. This is preventiveness. Be proactive and look for spots that can hold water. (Even discarded plastic bags with dew accumulation can be breeding grounds.)

4) Hand soaps would be a good thing to take to the areas where flooding occurred.

5) Locally purchased mosquito nets are vitally important for the displaced.

HB

Silver1126

May 19, 2007
Alright... hoping someone can help me out here... Im coming next week November 29... and I was going to bring some clothes for the kids. It is my sons old stuff, and blankets... but its in good condition.

However, Skyservice requires a letter from a charitible organization, since obviously it will be above the 22kg that i am allowed, stating that I am bringing "x" kgs above the allowance :(

I want to bring stuff, and I will try to bring as much as I can... is there anyone that can help me to get the stuff there. Also, where in the Puerto Plata area can I bring it. I will be renting a car around Dec. 5th... so I can bring wherever necessary.

Sunny44

Jul 24, 2002
Alright... hoping someone can help me out here... Im coming next week November 29... and I was going to bring some clothes for the kids. It is my sons old stuff, and blankets... but its in good condition.

However, Skyservice requires a letter from a charitible organization, since obviously it will be above the 22kg that i am allowed, stating that I am bringing "x" kgs above the allowance :(

I want to bring stuff, and I will try to bring as much as I can... is there anyone that can help me to get the stuff there. Also, where in the Puerto Plata area can I bring it. I will be renting a car around Dec. 5th... so I can bring wherever necessary.

I will be arrving on the 6th of December with 4 friends on Continental. I will check to see if i can bring over my allowance with a letter as well. Maybe this needs a new thread with contact information down there too?
Sunny44

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I will be arrving on the 6th of December with 4 friends on Continental. I will check to see if i can bring over my allowance with a letter as well. Maybe this needs a new thread with contact information down there too?
Sunny44

Continental.com

Overweight Baggage
Economy Class

Economy Class Checked baggage over 50 lbs (23 kg) and not exceeding 70 lbs (32 kg) will be charged at the rate of $50.00 per piece
Baggage weighing more than 70 lbs (32 kg) will not be accepted as checked baggage.
Additional, overweight and oversize charges are accumulative per piece.

Each airline has different regulations on baggage. Please check with your airline for details.

Continental will allow you to check two pieces of luggage plus your carry-on items. As a single traveler let's assume you have one large piece of luggage to check-in and a carry-on smaller piece of luggage. You can still check one more item without any additional cost.

A 20x20x20 heavy duty cardboard box filled with clothing weighs just about 40 lbs. Again, check with your airline as each airline handles cardboard boxes differently. Continental will accept cardboard boxes but you must sign a waiver accepting responsibility for damage.

At customs be prepared to be pulled to the side. The famous question, "What's in the box". I always say " Perdon, no hablo espanol, pero es ropa para los ninos". So far it works every time and I just get shuffled along.

If you happen to be a few pounds overweight with the cardboard box try explaining what is in the box and what you plan to do. A lot of times they will just "forget" the box is overweight.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Ladybird,

Other than by sending supplies, is there any way people not in the DR can donate to Sosua Kids. Bank transfer, website?

Status
Not open for further replies.