Don't flame me, bro'

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
My pet theory about why people behave so rudely is that online commenting is treated, by most people, like a pub conversation – they don't necessarily expect to be taken seriously and the social rules are fairly relaxed. And yet, because comments appear in cold text without important cues like friendly body language, they can easily seem more offensive than if they would otherwise. As a result some people get annoyed, and the flaming and trolling begin.....

Don't flame me, bro'

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
My pet theory about why people behave so rudely is that online commenting is treated, by most people, like a pub conversation ? they don't necessarily expect to be taken seriously and the social rules are fairly relaxed. And yet, because comments appear in cold text without important cues like friendly body language, they can easily seem more offensive than if they would otherwise. As a result some people get annoyed, and the flaming and trolling begin.....

Don't flame me, bro'
Very interesting article, and it appears to be right on the money.
We often find that some posters are totally different in person, than their online personas.
I have often equated it to the good drunk, bad drunk syndrome.
I contend that some people have monsters living inside, that only come out to play when they are drunk, while some folks are good hearted, and they become even more so when drunk.
In short, their true personalities show through, as the liquor reduces their inhibitions.
I believe the impersonality of the internet forums, also reduces inhibitions, much like alcohol, and it opens the door for their monsters to come out to play.