looking for ex-pat friends for my son - also an AA meeting

pamela m

Nov 17, 2007
Hi. My name is Pamela and I just moved to Santo Domingo a few weeks ago. I'm teaching at St. Michael's School. My husband and 8-year-old son have joined me from California recently. My son is starting to acclimate to his environment and school, which is 100 percent Dominican. We are going to sign him up for Dominican baseball too. But I wanted to know if there is another club or sport or church group he could join where he would also meet some ex-pats. I think it might him help to feel less different.

Also, a member of my family is looking for an AA meeting in Santo Domingo. I've called the number in the phone book several times and left an email twice but no one has responded. Does anyone out there know of the address and time of an AA meeting?

Thanks for the help.
-pamela

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
there are 2 english speaking meetings a week, i think at 5:30 or 6, tuesday and friday, in the school building to the left of the helen kellogg english library, which is behind a church on independencia. do a search on this board for helen kellogg, for more specific directions or maybe another poster can tell you the name of the church and hotel which is in front of it on the malecon.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That would be the Hotel Hispa?ola on the North side of the avenue and the Hotel Santo Domingo on the South side of the street.
You are talking about the Instituto Dominico Americano and its environs.

Hb

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
thanks hillbilly, but, it is further down, almost in the colonial zone, the hotel in question i;ve always know as V centenario, which could be something else now, across the street from the communists offices..........

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
thanks hillbilly, but, it is further down, almost in the colonial zone, the hotel in question i;ve always know as V centenario, which could be something else now, across the street from the communists offices..........
V Centenario is on the Malec?n a long block north of Independencia. The hotel across from the Communist Party headquarters on Independencia is the Hotel Casona Dorada. The Helen Kelogg Library is a few steps to the east of the Casona Dorada on the north side of the street. amparacorp must be referring to a school between the Casona Dorada and the Kellogg Library. I don't remember the name of the church but it's easy to spot.

pamela m

Nov 17, 2007
Thanks to all for responding to my post on English speaking AA meetings. So my best best sounds like I should look for the school next to the Helen Kellogg library, right? On Indepencia?

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
church is in front, drive through iron gate, down narrow driveway on left side of church, library is on first floor of building directly behind church, classroom building is to the left of library and also behind church. plenty of parking back there. if you show up early and don't see anyone, wait. turnout for this meeting is usually no more than 5 or 6 people, sometimes as few as 3, but, someone will be there................don't look for a school, look for the church, if you are coming down independencia it should be the first church on the left after you pass the hotel jaragua on your right, could be 3-5 blocks from jaragua....................

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
There is now another gate beside the church, with a door in it to get back to the Library.. Note -- if you are driving and see the big lamp store on the right, you have gone just a bit too far. As soon as you pass the Casona Dorado, make a left into the Church of the Epiphany driveway.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
boy scouts

You may want to contact the American Embassy about the Boy Scouts. There are the Dominican Boy Scouts but when I was at the Salto de Baiguate Sunday I ran into some Boy Scouts that were more USA based. The man said that the members of the group have to be multi national with 2 passports. I wish I got more info from him. This seems to be the site for the American Boy Scouts in other countries.

Also there is a web site for Narcotics Anonymous. Maybe they can help you find an AA meeting.