Shaving & Cold Showers

Roo

Dec 3, 2006
Okay, I know this sounds silly- How on earth do you ladies shave in the DR w/o shaving off your goosebumps? I have a hard time adjusting to the cold showers as it is, but I didn't shave the last couple times I was there. Alas, I've transitioned out of my hippy days and I now face this issue w/o any recent experience. Techniques or hints? :)

R0CKY

Nov 16, 2007
Okay, I know this sounds silly- How on earth do you ladies shave in the DR w/o shaving off your goosebumps? I have a hard time adjusting to the cold showers as it is, but I didn't shave the last couple times I was there. Alas, I've transitioned out of my hippy days and I now face this issue w/o any recent experience. Techniques or hints? :)
You have no hot water, where you stay/live?

Silver1126

May 19, 2007
When I go to the cottage (I will be going through this during this vacation on the DR... and may have a better method when I return) I usually wet my legs (one at a time)... then get out of waters reach or turn it off... then use shaving cream and rub legs briskly to get rid of evil goosebumps... once im done one leg... rinse it off... then do the same with the other one...

Alternatively... fill a pail with boiling water... mix it with the cold water in the sink or in the pail ... leg up on the counter, wet each leg with a facecloth... and do one leg at a time that way.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Do it in the afternoon after the pipes warm up a bit. You just have to wait for the goose bumps to go down then go for it. Really the water is not that freezing. The first dump (usually in the afternoon there is no water and I have to bucket shower) of water and the initial shock is past all is ok for the razor.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
I just wet my legs a little and put the cream on. I only wet my legs again to rinse them off when I'm done

R0CKY

Nov 16, 2007
Good grief..
Am I the only one with hot water?
I thought everybody had hot water, except for some campesinos. (no, I'm not calling anyone a campesino)
I just had no idea so many people didn't have hot water.
What do you do on those cold winter's mornings, when you have to get going ealry and you need a shower, and the water's frigid cold?
Hell, it could put you into shock and kill you.

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
shaving

I don?t have hot water (am lucky some days to have water at all). I do what what Montreal does, real fast. It?s amazing how much water I am now conserving due to my dislike of cold water. Some days it heats up really nicely in the tinaco but those are the really hot days, of course, when I wouldn?t mind a cold shower (as much). Looks like my days of enjoying luxurious hot showers with fragrant soaps, bubble baths, are over..the downside to the upside of living on this beautiful island.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Don't suffer!- go to your local ferreteria and get a shower head mounted heater. Get the black kind from Brazil, it is the best. It should be around RD600 or more plus RD400 for the installation.

enjoy

R0CKY

Nov 16, 2007
Don't suffer!- go to your local ferreteria and get a shower head mounted heater. Get the black kind from Brazil, it is the best. It should be around RD600 or more plus RD400 for the installation.

enjoy
I'd take a cold shower before trusting one of those.
I know that lots of people use them and we could start a safety debate about them in another thread, but there's no friggin way that I'm getting into a shower with an electrical apparatus in there with me.

No way, Jose.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I'd take a cold shower before trusting one of those.
I know that lots of people use them and we could start a safety debate about them in another thread, but there's no friggin way that I'm getting into a shower with an electrical apparatus in there with me.

No way, Jose.

I agree with you Rocky...Maybe is paranoia, but I just don't trust cheap electrical stuff made in Brazil and sold in The DR. Also, I know that bathing with cold water is kind of a pain when you're not used to it, but I truly believe that it is good for you in the long run.

Maybe is all in my head, but I feel much better after a few days of cold showers in The DR.

R0CKY

Nov 16, 2007
I agree with you Rocky...Maybe is paranoia, but I just don't trust cheap electrical stuff made in Brazil and sold in The DR. Also, I know that bathing with cold water is kind of a pain when you're not used to it, but I truly believe that it is good for you in the long run.

Maybe is all in my head, but I feel much better after a few days of cold showers in The DR.
Really.
Hmmm.
I never heard of that, but if it works for you, there must be something to do it.

Roo

Dec 3, 2006
Yes, I've heard plenty of folks say that cold showers are good for you. Usually those who have no other choice, mind you, but hey-

I thought shaving cream might be involved... I use soap currently. Lathers nicely w/water, but if the water is not so pleasant, I may get over it and buy/pack shaving cream.

My friend also has waxing strips that she swears don't hurt that I've wanted to look into. Nair doesn't really do much for me either.

Electric showers... yep, that was a question I was going to leave for another time (the place I stay in the DR has just cold, but the places I go to in Cuba inevitably all have a bit of buzz to the shower!!). Cold showers or showers w/risk of electrocution -- either way, I certainly take quicker showers when I'm traveling!

Hello!!......it's 2007...shaving and bathing in cold water??
What can I say- Some places are just worth it. And 'sides, it's true, it's not so bad once you get used to it and especially if you do it after walking for a while in the afternoon! :cheeky:

Thanks for the tips.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

enjoy
So then you have two problems Chip,
no running water and no electricity to heat the non existing water.

Brrrr :bunny: COLD!!!
Ouch! :bunny: Hot!!!

Don SantiagoDR

French and Braille are my two favorite Romantic languages!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Nothing! I have a total of five shower head electric heaters. Well installed, they are much much more convenient than hot water tanks either propane ($$$!!!!) or electric ($$$!!!!).

Yes, money is a concern, always. So is comfort and safety.

Look into this option.

HB

Roo

Dec 3, 2006
I'm curious about perceived safety of these electric things, as I'm guessing that's what causes the mild electrocution for me in Cuban showers, but just fyi- I stay at a hotel in the DR. I don't plan on remodeling their place for them anytime soon. So there it's just learning to adapt to the cold showers. Thx.