Workplace Health & Safety

Mooseman

Oct 28, 2007
I don't know if this is the best place for this thread, but feel free to move it if it has a better location.

By profession, I am a consultant in the field of Occupational Health & Safety (OH&S). Professionally, I am registered as an Occupational Hygienist and, no, I don't clean teeth. The field concerns itself with the safety and health of workers in industries, institutions (hospitals, schools, offices) and construction.

There are many organizations in North America that deal with worker safety and health issues. One of these orgs is the American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA), of which I am a member. I did sit, and will again, on the AIHA International Affairs Committee. I have asked a past Committee Chair if there are initiatives toward investigating and improving the level of worker health and safety in the DR specifically, and on other Caribbean islands as well.

What I need from other DR1 posters are thoughts, stories, advice, examples, etc about the worker safety situation in the DR. I saw a few things last week that were out of whack, but did not have the time or knowledge where to look for the big picture. I will throw this open for your responses.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
So you are looking for, amongst other things, anecdotal information such as the twelve year old Haitian boy we saw earlier this year who was part of a road crew in Santiago and was carrying buckets of rocks to the rest of the crew while wearing shorts and no shoes - right?

Gregg

Mooseman

Oct 28, 2007
So you are looking for, amongst other things, anecdotal information such as the twelve year old Haitian boy we saw earlier this year who was part of a road crew in Santiago and was carrying buckets of rocks to the rest of the crew while wearing shorts and no shoes - right?

Gregg

Exactly, right on; that sort of thing and examples from all age ranges and types of work. It is like the vendor on the beach I saw who was maybe 10 years old, selling fried food items. When Linda asked why he was not in school instead of out there, she was told that "Oh, he's Haitian - they don't go to school."

One of my (many) passions is the plight of what I have called the "World Worker". This could be a worker who may toil away under adverse conditions to make products or offer services in a small, clearly defined geographical location. However, it ranges from there all the way over to the worker who toils in poor conditions for little pay to make products to feed the gaping mouths of North America and Europe. Doesn't matter which side of the range it is; the degree of worker safety is of utmost importance. I would like to affect that situation in some way.

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
Worker Health & Safety

Interesting concept for Third World Nations...but 'fraid it just wont fly here. Only the largest industrial companies and factories (multinationals) that have operations in the DR even consider occupational work standards. "Now don't you go chang'in things, ya hear!." ;)

Mooseman

Oct 28, 2007
Interesting concept for Third World Nations...but 'fraid it just wont fly here. Only the largest industrial companies and factories (multinationals) that have operations in the DR even consider occupational work standards. "Now don't you go chang'in things, ya hear!." ;)

So, what we used to call Third World nations, now called developing nations, would not include the DR? From what I saw, the DR fits the description. From a worker safety view, it doesn't matter what the size of the company might be, whether a local one-off or a multinational, the issue is the same, regardless of size. The problem is worse in the smaller industries, those we would call SMEs, or small to medium-sized enterprizes employing say, 50 to 200 workers (by NA standards).

Are there government worker safety regulations in the DR? Or perhaps that question should be asked in the Government thread.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
So, what we used to call Third World nations, now called developing nations, would not include the DR? From what I saw, the DR fits the description. From a worker safety view, it doesn't matter what the size of the company might be, whether a local one-off or a multinational, the issue is the same, regardless of size. The problem is worse in the smaller industries, those we would call SMEs, or small to medium-sized enterprizes employing say, 50 to 200 workers (by NA standards).

Are there government worker safety regulations in the DR? Or perhaps that question should be asked in the Government thread.

You don't get it do you! Anyone who complains about the working conditions in the DR today is unemployed tomorrow. And you ain?t going to change it!

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Im sure a lot of people living down here will attest to this: The country will change you, but you will never change the country.
But good luck trying

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Doesn't matter which side of the range it is; the degree of worker safety is of utmost importance. I would like to affect that situation in some way.

Mooseman, I am sure whether there are regulations or not. But the presence of the absence of regulations does not seem to affect what we see on the ground on a daily basis. For myself, this would be an area that I would not even touch because progress will be slow, if any. If we see roadworkers somewhere working with hard hats on, it is already worth taking a picture - simply because it is such a rare sight - the hard hats, not the workers.

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
The reason I left Canada was to get away from useless bureaucrats that have nothing better to do than to than make up new rules and regulations.
We are guests in this country, and as such, should not be imposing our "holier than thou" attitudes on a country who have enough problems trying to feed and shelter themselves.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The reason I left Canada was to get away from useless bureaucrats that have nothing better to do than to than make up new rules and regulations.
We are guests in this country, and as such, should not be imposing our "holier than thou" attitudes on a country who have enough problems trying to feed and shelter themselves.
I agree, except for the holier than thou attitude. (assuming it was directed at the OP)
As I have met Mooseman in person, not only would that not apply to him, but a humbler man, there is not.
This in no way is meant to offend or contradict you.
He's a prince of a man, just trying to help.

Mooseman

Oct 28, 2007
Mooseman, I am sure whether there are regulations or not. But the presence of the absence of regulations does not seem to affect what we see on the ground on a daily basis. For myself, this would be an area that I would not even touch because progress will be slow, if any. If we see roadworkers somewhere working with hard hats on, it is already worth taking a picture - simply because it is such a rare sight - the hard hats, not the workers.

Some initiatives are underway already, with some success, see

In the National Interest of...The Dominican Republic Developing Tools for Managing a Nation´s Problems look at the "Making Worker Safety Pay" section.
Also see -CERSSO- Espa?ol -[INDEX]- for the CERSSO project. I have been in contact with Dr. Rafael Amador, Past Director T?cnico Regional of CERSSO http://www.oas.org/udse/cersso/documentos/queescerssoingles.doc
He directed me to these websites:
:: FUNDACERSSO ::
CIMCAW English Version
and he has given me a further contact within the DR for more information.

This has all taken place within the time frame of my first post yesterday, so I am encouraged. As well, I have spoken to a friend about AIHA programs and have found one that will let me, and others like me, sponsor developing nation OH&S persons who may be working in the field now, but lack support and resources. This sponsored membership would open up an amazing range of learning resource opportunities for the sponsored person. The criteria include one that limits participation to countries with set income ranges. The DR is ranked as a lower-middle-income country by the World Bank, so OH people there are eligible. Read more about it here:
http://www.aiha.org/Content/AccessInfo/synergist/pubsep07synGlobalConnections.htm
If it can be done in an African nation like Kenya, why not the DR? I love a challenge. I'm 61 years old, been doing this work for over 30 years, preaching to the converted ad nauseum. Time for a change....

Mooseman

Oct 28, 2007

I cannot agree with you more. You won't find many people that are more anti-government than I am; don't get me started. I am a card-carrying member of the Green Party, not because I'm a flaming tree hugger, but because the Greens stand a chance of being the pivot in a minority government.

I am not suggesting the DR impose regulations like Canada - that would be a real stretch. A simple, voluntary move towards better working conditions would be satisfactory.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Wow! Slow down there Mooseman! And the long timers can tell you, these are valuable words. ;) Just to put your quest in perspective a little, but not in the least dampen your enthusiasm, there is little money for this stuff in the country. There are serious and endemic primary and secondary education funding problems, so, workplace safety does not take the role that it should. And do remember Dominicans generally don't want to disappoint you, so, they will say 'yes!' It is up to you to figure out when they should have said 'no!' And if it is on paper, it does not mean it is worth a damn.

As for the rest, I really don't know what Mooses do when they run, so all I can say is Gallop Slowly! :cheeky:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Where is the classic set of pictures on workplace safety in the DR .. the ones where the linesman crawls out over the line and the pic is taken when he is suspended high above the ground, just hanging on the electrical line? Can anyone find that for Mooseman?

Mooseman

Oct 28, 2007
Wow! Slow down there Mooseman! And the long timers can tell you, these are valuable words. ;) Just to put your quest in perspective a little, but not in the least dampen your enthusiasm, there is little money for this stuff in the country. There are serious and endemic primary and secondary education funding problems, so, workplace safety does not take the role that it should. And do remember Dominicans generally don't want to disappoint you, so, they will say 'yes!' It is up to you to figure out when they should have said 'no!' And if it is on paper, it does not mean it is worth a damn.

As for the rest, I really don't know what Mooses do when they run, so all I can say is Gallop Slowly! :cheeky:

I am with you 100% in your line of thinking. None of this will be done tomorrow, next year, next decade, as so on. One of my favourite quotes goes something like this, "A man never knows the true meaning of life until he plants a tree in whose shade he knows he will never sit."

A moose doesn't gallop, rarely runs either; just moves slowly, majestically and mysteriously.:cheeky: Man, I'm so full of ****!

Mooseman

Oct 28, 2007
I agree, except for the holier than thou attitude. (assuming it was directed at the OP)
As I have met Mooseman in person, not only would that not apply to him, but a humbler man, there is not.
This in no way is meant to offend or contradict you.
He's a prince of a man, just trying to help.

Thanks for the words, Rocky - not sure I deserve it, but nice to read all the same.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Mooseman,
Let me answer from my personal experience in the apparel manufacturing industry. I worked in both U.S. & D.R. environments. My positions were with the same company, Dominican owned in both U.S. & D.R. This example would be considered 'big industry' and not government or small business standard safety procedures in DR.

In the U.S., federal & state regulations give you the guidelines to follow on worker safety. Worker's comp insurance rates which are based on your track record & the potential threat of lawsuits pretty much guarantee you follow the guidelines or go out of business.

In D.R., I don't think I once heard of government regulations being considered in terms of worker safety. The laws may exist, but I never heard mention.

HOWEVER, our business was supplying the U.S. market with brand names - Levi's, Lee, Gap, etc, etc. These corporations, due to the public pressure against 'sweat shops' have their own TOE (terms of engagement) that among other things include many safety requirements and they have teams who do nothing but certify factories. Without annual certification, work contracts are not granted or are pulled from the offending contractor. Their checks in the worker safety area include among other things evaluating electrical wiring, emergency exits, fire extinguishers, evacuation plans, cluttered work areas, restroom availability and cleanliness, handling of toxic chemicals, ventilation, eye wash stations, etc. They do not get into such issues as ergonomics, repetitive motion injury prevention, etc.

When you have 2, 3, 4 or more U.S. corporations as clients, you essentially have checks going on throughout the calendar year & the workplace is pretty safe due to this.

That said, you still see 'insane' things done regularly - people climbing racks 20, 30 feet off the ground to get something... but you attempt to educate in these cases... again & again. Eventually, with repetitive offenders you have no choice but to threaten dismissal & actually need to follow through on the threat at times. The same mindset of personal safety & risk to self is not ingrained in the culture at large as it is in the U.S. or Canada. (Witness moto drivers in action)

I can also tell you that the Dominican owners/management had zero desire or intent to push their workers to the point of personal injury. Yes, you can get a poor supervisor, but that happens anywhere in the world & must be corrected when identified.

Without years of influence of U.S. corporations in the apparel industry here, I suspect many things we consider safety issues would still be overlooked. Now it very much in everyone's mind.