pictures of santiago sidewalk construction.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
More update on santiago downtown sidewalk renovation. Actually its not a renovation at all. The sidewalk had been renovated about 6 months ago, now the city plans on taking all the electrical, cable TV and telecommunication/ internet cables underground. There is a disaster in downtown santiago and traffic jams are bring the city to a halt. Businesses are suffering due to the fact, customers can't get in or out of businesses. Here are some pictures from my cell phone.

This new business had some fancy marble tiles installed in the front of his store on the side walk to make the entrance more attractive to people.

85094s1.jpg

7w5b4ig.jpg

this is the new side walk design.
6kjheg9.jpg

El encanto, the entrance / exit closed due to wet cement.
6wrrok6.jpg

6uhr151.jpg

main circuit box, which is burried in the ground.
7y34j76.jpg

Entrance to banreserva (calle san luis)
821z5le.jpg

many streets are closed.
6y22ptl.jpg

6yyauxz.jpg

So be careful. If you don't have to come to downtown santiago, then postpone your trip.
AZB

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
LOL You have to admit, the guy on the jackhammer in the last pic was pretty inventive concerning his new sunshade for his hat! ;)

Marlie

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
You think that is bad? Take a look at Calle Durate in Santo Domingo. This street has been this way for at least a year. Calle Durate is the shopping area for locals.

8er3zbk.jpg

81s6592.jpg

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Bigbird, those photos are outdated. Calle Duarte doesn't look like that anymore.

Sidewalks are done, streets are paved with new stone, trees have been planted, etc. Actually, right now it looks really nice.

-NALs

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Wow, that looks nice. When did they finish the work?
The Chinatown is suppose to be inaugurated in December so they must be putting the final touches right now.

Enough about Santo Domingo, lets focus on Santiago.

Hopefully AZB will keep us updated on the beautification of downtown Santiago with photos and all.

-NALs

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The work is being done at an amazing speed. I think they want to finish it all by Christmas.
AZB

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Road construction

Ok, you think that is bad, come to Cabarete. Sorry, I do not have any pics at the moment, but the situation is crazy.
For those of you that do not know Cabarete, it is a major tourist area on the north coast, and there is only one street in the whole town. It is bad enough on a normal day when all the delivery trucks are delivering to the bars, restaurants and colmados. But add in the road works they are doing at the moment, it is a recipe for disaster. The road was completely re-paved recently, but now half of it has been ripped up to install a sewer line. Ok, no big deal, bad planning, right? Well, they put in the sewer line along most of the down town area on one side, only to realise that they screwed up, and had to remove it and then rip up some more of the beautiful road!!
In 4 weeks time the high season starts, and word is that they have screwed up again, and have to remove the pipes again! Once they have completed this, and I am predicting that this will happen sometime in 2015, they then have to do it all over again on the other side of the road.
As I said, there is only one road going through Cabarete, so you can just imagine how the business owners are suffering. Sure, the tourists are still going to come, but a lot of them may well decide to spend more time in Sosua this season. This year has been a slower season than previous years, so Cabarete business owners, I feel for you all.
Lets hope that this gets resolved quickly, but don?t get your hopes up!

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Ok, you think that is bad, come to Cabarete. Sorry, I do not have any pics at the moment, but the situation is crazy.
For those of you that do not know Cabarete, it is a major tourist area on the north coast, and there is only one street in the whole town. It is bad enough on a normal day when all the delivery trucks are delivering to the bars, restaurants and colmados. But add in the road works they are doing at the moment, it is a recipe for disaster. The road was completely re-paved recently, but now half of it has been ripped up to install a sewer line. Ok, no big deal, bad planning, right? Well, they put in the sewer line along most of the down town area on one side, only to realise that they screwed up, and had to remove it and then rip up some more of the beautiful road!!
In 4 weeks time the high season starts, and word is that they have screwed up again, and have to remove the pipes again! Once they have completed this, and I am predicting that this will happen sometime in 2015, they then have to do it all over again on the other side of the road.
As I said, there is only one road going through Cabarete, so you can just imagine how the business owners are suffering. Sure, the tourists are still going to come, but a lot of them may well decide to spend more time in Sosua this season. This year has been a slower season than previous years, so Cabarete business owners, I feel for you all.
Lets hope that this gets resolved quickly, but don?t get your hopes up!

Exactly the same thing in Las Terrenas :(

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
some great photos looks like the final product is nice but wow is that a construction site!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
The sidewalks look like the same ones they installed in Puerto Plata along the Malecon! They look nice and seem to be lasting - well reasonably well.

Thanks AZB for the updates.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
This morning, they have managed to break the main water line. The street is flooded and the store is forced to close down. I feel sorry for the owners of this store. They will not be open for business today, not to mention, the city broke down their beautiful marble tiles on the sidewalk.
AZB

87lr4oi.jpg