San Cristobal submachine gun carbine model 1

Sep 20, 2003
I've been researching Trujillo's weapons manufacturing and I have a couple of questions(to anyone on DR1 that knows about these kind of things). How does the San Cristobal submachine gun Model One stack up compared to machine guns like the M-16, Uzi, and AK-47? Would it still be considered an effective machine gun for a soldier in a modern army? Just curious.

Kiraly Cristobal Carbine Submachine Gun & Machine Pistol

I'm referring to the first gun talked about.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
The .30 caliber is not the round of choice when compared to the three other weapons you mention. While my .30 is a great visual piece (wood stock), the M-16 (.223 5.56 & 7.62), and AK-47 (7.62) are the modern day preferences and in my mind, far more accurate.

I carried an I.M.I UZI (9mm) many years ago and found it to be a "spray and pray" weapon, much like the Tek9, Cobrays and other "machine pistols" of the early 1980s .....it probably has it's place as a concealable, high cap, CQB weapon, but there are better choices (and calibers) in the field.

All that being said, I'd love to add a San Cristobal to my collection!

May 5, 2007
There are two distinctly different weapons listed there: One is an early attempt at an assault rifle (The .30 auto) the other (9mm) is a machine pistol with far different ballistic differences

The .30 cal would be "adequate" for battle field work as the .30 has "sufficient" but not great knockdown at 200 meters or less, the range specified for an infantry weapon

The 9mm round would be pretty weak for military duty, little knockdown or penetration, more of a close in combat weapon

With blowback vs. the gas operated of the AK series, the San Cristobal is woefully outclassed, especially if the stated 25 rounds per minute are correct. (even if it was a typo and 250rpm is correct, the blowback design is very slow and does not allow high breech pressure to allow a "hot" loaded round or fater cyclic rates) I can certainly fire more than 25 rpm from a 9mm semi auto pistol Even considering reloading

The high velocity 7mm round, simple gas operated design coupled with very high tolerance in machining of the AK 47 has made it the most popular assault rifle ever made

The Uzi is again a machine pistol, not an assault rifle, but has a much higher cyclic rate than stated for the San Cristobal

The M 16 is a true assault rifle, not a machine gun and the .225 round has proven good at the 200 meter range given the characteristic cavitations of the small caliber round

One poster mentioned a 7.62 M 16; I have never personally seen one but can not understand the concept as it defeats the purpose of the M 16 design of light weight, low recoil high capacity assault rifle

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
One poster mentioned a 7.62 M 16; I have never personally seen one but can not understand the concept as it defeats the purpose of the M 16 design of light weight, low recoil high capacity assault rifle

I've handled the three M16 versions I described, and I agree with your assessment. Nice report too.