Fitness studio - Puerto Plata

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
We have a new Fitness Studio in Puerto Plata. Total Training Fitness Studio offers a variety of programs - including Fitness training, Personal Trainers, yoga and (for me) dance workout classes.

I will have the full schedule tomorrow but can tell you now that the Dance workout classes are Tuesday and Thursday at 5:30 pm.

They can be reached at 809-261-0888. they are located in the plaza almost across the street from Burger King, right near the Western Union office.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
We have a new Fitness Studio in Puerto Plata. Total Training Fitness Studio offers a variety of programs - including Fitness training, Personal Trainers, yoga and (for me) dance workout classes.

I will have the full schedule tomorrow but can tell you now that the Dance workout classes are Tuesday and Thursday at 5:30 pm.

They can be reached at 809-261-0888. they are located in the plaza almost across the street from Burger King, right near the Western Union office.

I am interested. Is that near the big roundabout on the Puerto Plata East exit?
I'll check'em out. I was just about to sign up with American Gym.

Thanks! ... J-D.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Yes it is right near the roundabout. If you are going towards Playa Dorada from Puerto Plata, it is just past the round about and past Burger King, The plaza is on the left side of the road!

Air Conditioning - don't know but will find out. They have just recently opened. But the owners have been working in Puerto Plata for a few years!

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Let's see - Tuesdays and Thursdays - I'd be willing to go to these classes with you. I love dancersize and dance it classes . I have 2 Tuesdays and 2 Thursdays, if they let you pay by the class.

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
Do they have "normal" US style gyms in DR? I'm looking for a spin room and a racquetball court...air conditioned would be perferable.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
We will try out the Tuesday and Thursday classes for sure!!!

Spin - they have spin classes at the American Gym but as to Air Conditioning - :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: That would be a no.....

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
Yikes!

Spin class with no airconditioning would be a challenge. How are the monthly prices for gym membership? Any place have racquetball courts?

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
Very Nice

Thanks...I was beginning to think I'd have to give up racquetball if I moved to DR...that would be a BIG negative for me. Looks like there are possibilities after all.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I have just returned from a reconnaissance of the 'Total Training' premises at Plaza Brugal. The door seemed locked but using TWO hands to open the second door handle, allowed me entry! There was a girl sitting at the computer but she didn't seem to have the inclination to get up & check who was trying to make entry!

There was no one else in the premises so I was able to have a good look round & ask some questions. The area was cool but I did not notice air conditioning on. There were two treadmills, two training bikes, one bench seat & several weights of varying sizes. The front room was darkened for comfort, the back room sectioned off by a curtain was similar. A coffee/drinks section was available. Both rooms were carpeted.

Joining fees for membership are priced at RD $2,000 per month. At that price, I am sure additional discounts would be available for 3 month, 6 month & 12 month mambership but I didn't bother asking!!:ermm:

The PERSONAL Trainer (Pablo) is available for private sessions in personal fitness programmes - his rate is RD $1,000 per hour. :paranoid::ermm:

I hope planner wasn't the marketing consultant to this operation as at THOSE prices I think I will continue to walk the golf course & get my excercise from hitting a tiny, innoffensive white ball.:pirate::pirate: There is a LOT of competition in Puerto Plata for fitness studios so I will continue to search out a more favourably priced one for MY needs - toning up of arms & legs with a good helping of anti-aging & brain stimulation thrown in!! ;) ~ Grahame.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
I visited the place too last week.
First, I was going to post about it, then I thought "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all". But since Grahame made the first step...
Let me just say this is exactly the impression I got...
The place looks closed at all times... only somebody from the outside who knew about the door, made use some more force to gain entry.
I found the exact same situation as Grahame described, except that "Pablo" the trainer was present.
Good point, there IS air conditioning and it was ON.
Besides, there is the equipment Grahame described... and it looks like used, erm.. lets say semi commercial grade equipment.
The bench is a multi-function bench as you see in some garages... weights are incomplete and few.

All in all it, it make a very incomplete impression. But I was told that basically that was IT.

I asked what the (business) plan is, and it would seem that it is mostly about group classes and individual training by "Pablo" the trainer (he is a good looking fella, kind'a the Italian type... so you husbands better keep an eye on him if you ladies seem to develop a sudden interest in "fitness" :D).
It is certainly not meant (I hope) as a gym in the classical sense of the world (not for body builders etc). They may try to attract ladies with weight issues or above 40. I don't know for sure.

I would be hard pressed to predict a positive outlook on their business concept, but wish them luck (they need it).

... J-D.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Grahame - no I am not the marketing consultant or business consultant on this business. I simply know about them via the law office I do consult at.

I was in there as well and confirmed they do have air conditioning and use it when appropriate. It appears they do not intend to be a gym but rather a place for classes and personal training. For that it is more then adequate.

Their prices are not quite what you wrote Grahame. The inscription is 2,000RD but then you pay based on the number of classes you want to attend. For example - one time or two time for tourists and tryout is 300RD per class. For 2 classes per week it is 1,500 RD per month and for 3 classes per week it is 2,000 RD per month. They are not offering long term discounts at this point, at least that is what I was told.

I will post more after I actually attend a class.

nadira

Nov 25, 2005
Total Fitness in Puerto Plata

Any updates on this thread?? Also, I was wondering if anyone had noticed an eliptical trainer in there?

Does anyone know if there is a dressing room/ showers onsite?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Any updates on this thread?? Also, I was wondering if anyone had noticed an eliptical trainer in there?

Does anyone know if there is a dressing room/ showers onsite?

Well, since Vimenpac has changed to the Plaza Brugal Vimenca/Western Union (Sanky Banky) office, I pass there quite often and was surprised the place is still there. If it is open, I can't say... it always looks dark... not inviting to even test the doors... I'll do that some day anyway.

... J-D.