Pictures from trip to Batey 9, Barahona

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
I am not too good with trip reports, I hope the pictures tell you everything about the condition in which these people live and the need they have for help. Batey 9 is very hard to reach and unless you go specifically there you will never find it. It's inside the sugar cane plantations and the roads are very bad. We brought them bags with essential food and hygiene items, clothes, medicine, etc., it was not much, but it was as much as we could do. Each bag contained sugar, milk, oatmeal, sardine cans, cans of Vienna sausages, spaguetti, tomato sauce, toothpaste, 2 toothbrushes, chocolate bars, 3 bottles of water, etc., we brought 55 bags and distributed it among 55 families, I wish we had had more but we raised money within our company by carrying different fund raising activities.

The population in the Barahona bateyes is 90% haitian.

There's two sets of pictures, one from Batey 9 in Barahona, and the other from Bahoruco and San Rafael, where we went after we finished with the donations, we spent the night in Barahona.

Enjoy it.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Marilyn forgot to post the link, but if you look up her previous posts you'll find links to her flickr site. Here's the set:

Batey 9, Barahona, Dominican Republic - a photoset on Flickr

Marilyn - congratulations on your generosity and on a job well done. It looks remarkably orderly - how was it managed? How were the recipients selected? Did you make prior arrangements with anyone in the community or did you just show up?

They are strong photos that tell a story and bring a lump to the throat, as well as helping restore a bit of faith in humanity.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Marilyn forgot to post the link, but if you look up her previous posts you'll find links to her flickr site. Here's the set:

Batey 9, Barahona, Dominican Republic - a photoset on Flickr

Marilyn - congratulations on your generosity and on a job well done. It looks remarkably orderly - how was it managed? How were the recipients selected? Did you make prior arrangements with anyone in the community or did you just show up?

They are strong photos that tell a story and bring a lump to the throat, as well as helping restore a bit of faith in humanity.

Thank you Ilana, I forgot to post the link.

I called the number you gave me in Barahona (Plan International) and they put me in contact with Beneco Enecia, sindico (mayor) of Batey 7, 8 & 9 and a member of other charity international organizations. I called him and we arranged to have him meet me in Tamayo and bring me to the Batey. On Saturday when I called he was in a emergency meeting but he sent someone to bring me to where he was in Batey 4; from there we drove to Batey 9, we went through sugar cane plantations and over train tracks on dusty roads until we arrived. Most of the terrain was dry already but you could see the signs of destruction from the storm flooding.

My daughter took all the pictures, that's why some are black and white and sepia, she's an amateur photographer.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
The recipients were selected by Beneco Enecia and we could see that it was very fair. Only women and the elderly were selected, we had a group of 13 of his men protecting us and controlling the gate since a huge crowd was outside next to our vehicles, but they were very nice and we never felt threatened at all. We had heard on the news that vehicles bringing donations were being hijacked on the roads, but we never felt in any danger.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The recipients were selected by Beneco Enecia and we could see that it was very fair. Only women and the elderly were selected, we had a group of 13 of his men protecting us and controlling the gate since a huge crowd was outside next to our vehicles, but they were very nice and we never felt threatened at all. We had heard on the news that vehicles bringing donations were being hijacked on the roads, but we never felt in any danger.

Wow, thanks for the explanation. Just to think how some people will complain over the least little thing. Don't know about you, but I got it made.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
My daughter took all the pictures, that's why some are black and white and sepia, she's an amateur photographer.

You can tell your daughter she did a wonderful job. I have looked at the pics several times and each time I search for a happy face. There are a few "camera smiles" but all it all the photos show a saddened people.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks Marilyn. Your daughter is a good photographer! I'm so glad to have been of help, albeit indirectly. I haven't been able to get down there due to work commitments in the capital, after having spent much of September and early October working in those very areas.

It's so important to do things precisely the way Marilyn and her colleagues did - linking up with someone who is known and trusted in the community - to ensure that the donations are going to those who really need them and to avoid a riot.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Thanks everyone, I feel that this is so little compared to the great need there is in this and other third world countries. There's so much money in this world and it's in the wrong hands.

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com
........There's so much money in this world and it's in the wrong hands.

Well said - that's exactly how I feel. There are so many people in this world with so much money, if only they knew or cared how much good they could do with it. I already have plans for my lottery winnings - and I can assure you it doesn't include a mansion and a big flash car (a nice house and a nice car yes - but there are things of more importance to me than having better things than the next person, I just wish all the multi millionaires in the world felt the same!)