Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Natural Gas vs. Propane/Gasoline

Does Pres. LF really think he is able to begin conversion of 300 Omsa buses and a large number of Concho cars to natural gas, beginning Feb. 08? Where will the filling stations be located? Has anyone in the Administration considered safety issues with natural gas storage vs the easily stored Propane? What about cost? To change a large diesel engines (buses) to Natural gas is not really an available technology that is commercially sold, to the best of my knowledge, an engine change is required. It may be had in a very expensive kit (newly developed @$4000+ USD). Am I the only one that thinks he "IS SMOKING SOMETHING THAT HIS DNCD HAS CONFISCATED?" The DR is being sold a pipe-dream. Where will all this money come from? The DR does not have money to help the victim's of Noel, how on earth will they pay for this "ENERGY COST SAVINGS MEASURE?"

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

... he mentioned bio diesel in the same context too. So, I would suspect that's what they plan to do with the diesel buses.

I think ANY change here is adventurous, but then, since that's a fact, what other options are there but trying.

... J-D.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

As citizens of this beautiful country we need to welcome any news of change and savings plans. The technology is available and refilling stations are being plan by OTTT. In regards to storage, base on conversations with gas stations owners in Santiago They are aware of the procedures needed,is a delicate storage but no impossible. If their is a profit to be made by selling Natural Gas gas station owners will store it safely and sale it.Not in regards to conversion kits for gas engines they range fro m1200-3500USd so is not something out of the budget of this small country. Earlier this year a Alternative energy bill was pass and this are measures being taken by central government to reduce our overall Petroleum usage.
    Let give positive and constructive opinions so that instead of fighting over who has a good idea. When something is plan even if is an election year. It gets done.
    I am all about Alternative fuel .WE can grow Jatropha Curscas here and process the B35 diesel fuel that the Omsa buss will need. And if is successfully done I assume that the rest of the transportation industry will follow.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default CNG Option

Quote Originally Posted by chola1978 View Post
    As citizens of this beautiful country we need to welcome any news of change and savings plans. The technology is available and refilling stations are being plan by OTTT. In regards to storage, base on conversations with gas stations owners in Santiago They are aware of the procedures needed,is a delicate storage but no impossible. If their is a profit to be made by selling Natural Gas gas station owners will store it safely and sale it.Not in regards to conversion kits for gas engines they range fro m1200-3500USd so is not something out of the budget of this small country. Earlier this year a Alternative energy bill was pass and this are measures being taken by central government to reduce our overall Petroleum usage.
    Let give positive and constructive opinions so that instead of fighting over who has a good idea. When something is plan even if is an election year. It gets done.
    I am all about Alternative fuel .WE can grow Jatropha Curscas here and process the B35 diesel fuel that the Omsa buss will need. And if is successfully done I assume that the rest of the transportation industry will follow.
    What country do you live in, chola? $1200-$3500 USD conversions, within budget for this small country? Planned and Gets Done? I do not agree! Most Fuel filling station owners in the DR cannot even comply with international standards for dispensing gasoline/diesel, I cannot imagine how they will store CNG safely? Remember, there is no infrastructure for CNG in the country, not even in Santo Domingo. Therefore, will each filling station have to have a large bulk storage CNG tank? I do not know and I think most in the government staff know even less than I do. I am not convinced as yet. Alternate fuels, yes, I agee, but lets do it properly. BTW, current Biodiesel production cannot supply 50% of the OMSA fleet. That is not the answer either. The country can reduce excess fuel consupmtions, by prohibiting all government officials (except for the Pres.) to drive or use large SUV that get <18 km/gal (governmet should ban the entire fleet and switch to small Toyotas/Nissans), and reduce the stealing of fuels by MdG, Military and Police officials, for their personal use (autos, boats, aircraft, queridas, novias etc.).

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SamanaJon View Post
    Does Pres. LF really think he is able to begin conversion of 300 Omsa buses and a large number of Concho cars to natural gas, beginning Feb. 08? Where will the filling stations be located? Has anyone in the Administration considered safety issues with natural gas storage vs the easily stored Propane? What about cost?
    Two things you should know about natural gas, It's lighter than air so in many aplications it's far safer than Propane.

The other is that it does not compress as well as Propane so it's more bulky to transport and store.

What's your point here? Or you just sturing the pot?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CyaBye3015 View Post
    My point is simply, that too many people believe everything Politicos say in their gloriously scripted speeches. If you are a believer in what was stated last week (by LF) regarding buying Refidomsa and placing NG in all carros publicos and the OMSA fleet, I am happy for you. I am not that gullable as yet. I guess you are also one that is waiting for the Metro to roll on Feb. 28th 2008? We just disagree or as you state, perhaps just stirring the pot. Your points on NG storage are valid.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=SamanaJon; To change a large diesel engines (buses) to Natural gas is not really an available technology that is commercially sold, to the best of my knowledge, an engine change is required. "[/QUOTE]LPG Diesel Conversions

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Almost all countiries in the world use LPG. There are some vehicles that run on natural gas. I have seen some diesel buses run on natural gas, in Europe. But that's public transport, no concho cars, etc. LPG is implemented worldwide, I don't know why they have to be unique and come up with something that really is not feasible.

As mentioned, natural gas is much bulkier. I think it takes 2 or 3 times the spece of LPG for the same substance giving same mileage. So where these tanks will be stored? On the roof? And imagine having to fill up 3 or 4 times per day... It really is not viable...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Proposal are just that proposal, we as citizens might want to get involve. Personally i don't believe that switching conchos for mlGP to Natural gas is the solution to saving more but i do believe that we need to support open discussion about alternative fuel in this small country. And about B35 local production only supporting about 50% of Omsa...............well its a start. if their is a market farmers will grow jatropha, Higuera, and other green fuel plants.
    PS What ar eyou doing about saving fuel?

I love Rocky's Ribs!
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Gas

Quote Originally Posted by CyaBye3015 View Post
    Two things you should know about natural gas, It's lighter than air so in many aplications it's far safer than Propane.

The other is that it does not compress as well as Propane so it's more bulky to transport and store.

Propane is more explosive than natural gas, which is a negative, however, propane burns hotter than natural gas, which is a positive.
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast