Best Sushi in the Capital: AKA

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Just had to send off this rave for Aka, which forms part of a network of restaurants and stores bearing the name "Red."

Aka can be found over on the corner of Lope de Vega and Max Henriquez Ure?a. Tel. 809 338 0999.

This place is world class, and without any doubt the best sushi available here in the capital and probably the whole country. It compares with or excels some of the best places I have eaten in in NYC, and you will not be sorry for dropping a little extra money on the bill and going a la carte. The head chef, Take Yano, is a fantastic guy and knows just how to guide you through the meal. Let him suggest some unusual offerings, you will be very glad you did.

All the fish is absolutely the freshest, tenderest, and most flavorful that I have ever had. Pulpo (octopus), normally a tough bit of leather, was so tender and succulent I must have eaten at least four helpings. The Hamachi (yellowtail), which is not often seen here, was fantastic, absolutely perfect. The salmon was delicate and subtle rather than smoky and overpowering. And they had some unusual offerings such as "white Tuna" which were well worth investigating. Portions are smaller, or shall we say, "conservative" in keeping with the real Japanese concept of proper proportions -- here they really know how to cut the sushi and sashimi, they dont just slop the fish over the rice. This is an essential part of preparing this food correctly.

The service is excellent, just the right balance of attentiveness and discretion. The ambience is perfect, it's a beautiful space. The atmosphere is friendly, totally attuned to making your meal a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

If you like sushi and you are in the capital, this is the place to go. Dont miss out on this wonderful eating experience. I cant wait to go back!

faer

Jan 6, 2005
Chef is Peruvian, and if you check the menu, he offers "Ceviche", an incredible peruvian preparation made of raw fish, red onion, lime juice, pepper and other stuff...give it a try!!!
The only down side was that I was never able to convince him to prepare the famous drink "Pisco Sour" ...ufff...that?s awesome...

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
You probably can't get pisco in the DR, that's why.

As for suishi, has anyone tried the place off Churchill a few blocks south of Kennedy. They make dominican fusion suishi, rice Aguacate and platano, haha. no joke - I wonder if they have abichuela, pollo guisado and arroz. But they do have some decent dishes, I think the fish is cooked, but if you are on a budget, it will fill you up.

faer

Jan 6, 2005
cheking the address posted originaly, I feel it's wrong, AKA is where El Uruguayo is stating,

Aka
W. Churchill, Plaza New Orleans.
Tel. 809-910-9873

unless it has moved, it has been a year since I departed DR....I miss my great dominican friends I made, the beaches, the sun....

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
I have been living here 7 months and I miss sushi! Sounds good, may I ask what the average price range is for say 2 people, in pesos?

faer

Jan 6, 2005
Nikke, it was not expensive a year ago, but my guesstimate for a couple is something near RD$1500/RD$1800....

remember to ask for the Ceviche...

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Chef is Peruvian, and if you check the menu, he offers "Ceviche", an incredible peruvian preparation made of raw fish, red onion, lime juice, pepper and other stuff...give it a try!!!
The only down side was that I was never able to convince him to prepare the famous drink "Pisco Sour" ...ufff...that?s awesome...

My ex-wife is Peruvian. Pisco Sour, by far, one of the best drinks I have ever had!!!!

True Ceviche is made by cooking the fish with the lime or lemon juice.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Chilleans will argue that pisco is theirs - but Peru has a town called pisco, so it's a tough call.

Ceviche can also be made with vinager - the idea being that the fish is cooked chemically by acid. Similar to Conch salad. btw, is this done in the DR, conch (lambi) with lemon and onion(i think)??

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
address of AKA

Just to be sure to direct people correctly, address in first post is correct. Do not head over to Churchill, unless you want to eat at a different restaurant in their network. AKA is located just off Lope de Vega.

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
Sushi Ya is pretty good too- on Sarasota west of Nunex de Caceres. Everything was very fresh, and the place was really busy for a Saturday. During the week, it is usually pretty dead...

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Sushi Ya is pretty good too- on Sarasota west of Nunex de Caceres. Everything was very fresh, and the place was really busy for a Saturday. During the week, it is usually pretty dead...

I'm a big fan of Sushi Ya as well. Simple, inexpensive, and good.

Kiboko

Dec 26, 2006
Sushi-ya

I agree. If you want "authentic" Japanese sushi (without the avocado, cream cheese, platano and other foreign additions), Samurai and Aka are best, although Samurai is incredibly expensive. If you're not fussed about authenticity and just enjoy your food for what it is, Sushi-ya is great. Yummy, well prepared and cheap!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Do You Mean sushi,or.. "SUSHI"????????????????????

:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC;););)