Planta or invertor

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
I suggested to the new owner of a house to install a planta but a repairman insists on invertor, arguing that it is much cheaper and silent and with adding batteries its capacity can be increased as much as needed.

He says that for a one-family house invertor is better and for a bigger complex - planta.

What are advantages and disadvantages both of invertor and planta?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
He's right for general usage.

You need a generator if you care about hot water, air conditioning and ironing. Generators are a hassle to maintain, cost more money and are noisy. Inverters are quiet and largely maintenance free.

I need a generator fulltime because I need to always have air conditioning working. Most people don't require this however, so you'll probably be fine with an inverter.

Adrian

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
! Gracias!

He's right for general usage.

You need a generator if you care about hot water, air conditioning and ironing. Generators are a hassle to maintain, cost more money and are noisy. Inverters are quiet and largely maintenance free.

I need a generator fulltime because I need to always have air conditioning working. Most people don't require this however, so you'll probably be fine with an inverter.

Adrian

! Gracias !

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I am very pro inverter. They are hassle free, cheaper, and much better for the environment...well, that is when it comes to replace the batteries and some Dominican just dumps the old ones in a river or something. If you have a large enough inverter with a larger capacity of batteries then running A/C is no problem. The power situation is getting better and better here, giving more time for the batteries to re-charge.
And by the way, have you noticed the price of oil? $100 dollars a barrel and is will most likely go up higher, especially after Chavez`s threat to trigger happy Bush that if he invades Iran then the oil price will double, think that Bush should tell Chavez to shut up, just like the King of Spain, lol....sorry for adding politics into this thread, but it is kinda relevent as running a planta is going to get more expensive.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Which one is best?

What inverters are considered the best and most popular and demanded in Dominican Republic and how much they cost (not including batteries) ?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
What inverters are considered the best and most popular and demanded in Dominican Republic and how much they cost (not including batteries) ?
The unquestionable winner, top of the field, shining a mile above the others are the Xantrex/Trace models.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
The unquestionable winner, top of the field, shining a mile above the others are the Xantrex/Trace models.

What must be the model#, how much to expect to pay and where to buy?

!Muchas gracias!

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
The model and size depends on the user's needs and budget,
Where to buy, depends on where you're located in the country.

I want the best one. For a four -room house with pool, occasional A/C, PC`s, TV`s, nivera - all the usual stuff.

Sosua.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I think an inverter setup comes first for day to day usage... then, one may want to add a generator for the event of an extended period blackout now and then.
I have a neighbor with a big generator... real big one... could probably lite us all up (if only that was his pleasure). We are very fortunate in this part of the city and have almost continuous electric service... EXCEPT for around 8:30 to 9:00 when they apparently switch over something and there is a 1 to 10 minute break off. Easy and almost unnoticeable to bridge over situation with batteries and an inverter... But this guy has none apparently or his system must have been set up badly... so his "planta" kicks on and off automatically for these small cuts... well, it used to, because all I can see since a week is, that it's been repaired... major repairs... there are planta parts all over his patio! These deals are not made for that kind of service and should at least run a good 30miutes (+) at a time.

... J-D.

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Samanave

For a four -room house with pool, occasional A/C, PC`s, TV`s, nivera - all the usual stuff.
Sosua.

We use a combination: diesel generator (2 hrs. daily) + 2 inverters (22 hrs. daily).
But then, we are NOT on the grid. ;)

Janin