Pet Questions....Santo Domingo

holita

Jun 6, 2006
I am bringing my greyhound next month, and I would like some suggestions for safe, reputable Vets and pet boarding in the area...Thanks! The closer to El Million the better!:bunny:

Also, how are dogs brought in taxis? Do I just say I am bringing my dog when I call the taxi?;) Are there any taxi companies that seem more okay with animals? I am worried as he is quit a big dog!

Finially, what is the pet excresion ettiquite in the capital? I mean where I am from, a dog can go anywhere, as long as the owner picks it up with a plastic bag or something. Does anyone know the ettiquite here? Thanks!!!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I can personally recommend Dr. Marino Piantini, tel. 809-540-7106. I've known him for several years and have never had any problems with him. He's located in Evaristo Morales, close to the KFC on Winston Churchill.

As for dogs in taxis, not all are willing to offer that service. Ask for a minivan when you call and mention you'll be taking along a friendly dog. They'll probably charge you a bit more. Or if you go with my vet, he has a van that picks up dogs all over the place. Maybe after going the first time you'll feel confident enough with his people to send your dog with their transport. My dog goes crazy when she sees the guys... not your usual reaction when a dog goes to the vet!!

As for pet etiquette, it's relatively non-existent. I would say, be considerate. You won't see many people picking up after their dogs but you will see people grumbling when they set on the poop!!!

holita

Jun 6, 2006
I can personally recommend Dr. Marino Piantini, tel. 809-540-7106. I've known him for several years and have never had any problems with him. He's located in Evaristo Morales, close to the KFC on Winston Churchill.

As for dogs in taxis, not all are willing to offer that service. Ask for a minivan when you call and mention you'll be taking along a friendly dog. They'll probably charge you a bit more. Or if you go with my vet, he has a van that picks up dogs all over the place. Maybe after going the first time you'll feel confident enough with his people to send your dog with their transport. My dog goes crazy when she sees the guys... not your usual reaction when a dog goes to the vet!!

As for pet etiquette, it's relatively non-existent. I would say, be considerate. You won't see many people picking up after their dogs but you will see people grumbling when they set on the poop!!!

Thank you so much! I plan to visit the vet this week and get a feel for the office and staff! Do you know if he speaks english?

dringa

Oct 17, 2004
Hi Holita

He is very good - I have taken my Golden Retriever to his place and he really takes care of her. Also, there is a pet hotel that I saw between Betencort and 27 Febrero around Dr. Richardson Cruz Clinic - I will try to get more info.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
When you call for the taxi, tell them it is with dog, they usually charge around $150 pesos more.