Buying a new motorbike

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
For various reasons, I need to buy a new motorbike. I can't use the truck all the time, as I am sharing it with family members, and buying another car is not an option.

I plan to ride this motorbike mostly in the Las Terrenas area, and the Saman? peninsula.

For the first time in a decade, I am now considering buying something brand new.

I am looking for fuel-efficiency (2 strokes or 4 strokes ???), and a no-nonsense bike, easy to fix, with "easy to get" parts. It doesn't need to go very fast. Of course, I am also looking for something affordable. I am wondering if I can get something decent in the 30000RD$ range...

Currently, we have a pasola (Honda Dio 50). I am hesitating between the "Yamaha Krypton" clones or the "Suzuki AX100" clones...

It seems that all those motorbikes are Chinese now...

Don't hesitate to post your thoughts, your experience, or your advices on the subject... I know Chip drives a 115... It's a bit expensive for me.

I also look for a place to buy it, either in San Francisco de Macoris, La Vega or Santiago (or wherever I can get a good deal).

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
What you call clones are not really clones, that's just a sales pitch for the cheapest piece of shyte crap garbage quick rusting good for nothing shytebox Chinese motorbike.
Better to buy used Jap than new Chinese.
I have never seen anything as bad as those bikes. NEVER !!!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
PS: If you're willing to go as far as La Vega or Santiago, then you could go to Gaspar Hernandez.
For some reason, the bikes are always cheaper there than anywhere else.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
PS: If you're willing to go as far as La Vega or Santiago, then you could go to Gaspar Hernandez.
For some reason, the bikes are always cheaper there than anywhere else.
yeah, why not ?
So any type of "refurbished" Japanese bike ?

But that still leaves me with the dilemma of the type of bike...

-"Krypton" like, or "ax100" type ?
-Which one would be more fuel-efficient ?

Anyway, what's the agency's address in Gaspar Hernandez ?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
yeah, why not ?
So any type of "refurbished" Japanese bike ?

But that still leaves me with the dilemma of the type of bike...

-"Krypton" like, or "ax100" type ?
-Which one would be more fuel-efficient ?

Anyway, what's the agency's address in Gaspar Hernandez ?
The Yamaha 115 is the best, as you already know.
Gaspar Hernandez has just one business street, the main highway and you will find them easily.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I wouldn't recommend going with the Chinese copies, your best bet may be to go with a used 115, which should run RD40 to 50 for one in relatively decent condition. The main thing to look for would be the frame and wheel conditions. The engine lesser so becasue they are so cheap to rebuild. Painting is real cheap, so as long as the frame looks square and sound it can be repainted. I have a neighbor in Santiago that could probably set you up with one as he sells a lot to the motoconchos, via "rent to buy".

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
Thanks guys... So it seems to be the 115 indeed... Problem is that I don't have the budget for it...

-What would you see as a "plan B" in the 30K range ?

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Thanks guys... So it seems to be the 115 indeed... Problem is that I don't have the budget for it...

-What would you see as a "plan B" in the 30K range ?

Why don't you go down to Ciudad Nueva and see my friend George Butler at Moto Butler in Arzobispo Portes near the gate, even if you don't find a bike you like there, George will give you some of the best advice available. If you want to go that way PM me I'll give you his mobile number.

Bryan

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Why don't you go down to Ciudad Nueva and see my friend George Butler at Moto Butler in Arzobispo Portes near the gate, even if you don't find a bike you like there, George will give you some of the best advice available. If you want to go that way PM me I'll give you his mobile number.

Bryan
If that's in SDGO, bear in mind that Squat lives in La Samana.
BTW: What makes does your friend sell?

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
If that's in SDGO, bear in mind that Squat lives in La Samana.
BTW: What makes does your friend sell?
Marco,

George is president of ADOMOTO, the motorcycle racing club of the DR and is a huge promoter of moto sport. He has hia own weekly TV show "Moto Accion TV" Tuesday nights on Channel 29 on cable down here in Sto Dgo, his own racing team and the shop near the Zona Colonial
(see Moto Butler Is Number One ! and
Team Moto Butler)

He sells mainly Japanese, Suzuki, Yamaha and the like as well as Italian Ducati, but in his position in the moto world of the DR he knows everything and everyone and will have the best info on anything to do with biking, including used machines. Moto Butler also has one of the country's leading bike workshops on the premises

Bryan

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Marco,

George is president of ADOMOTO, the motorcycle racing club of the DR and is a huge promoter of moto sport. He has hia own weekly TV show "Moto Accion TV" Tuesday nights on Channel 29 on cable down here in Sto Dgo, his own racing team and the shop near the Zona Colonial
(see Moto Butler Is Number One ! and
Team Moto Butler)

He sells mainly Japanese, Suzuki, Yamaha and the like as well as Italian Ducati, but in his position in the moto world of the DR he knows everything and everyone and will have the best info on anything to do with biking, including used machines. Moto Butler also has one of the country's leading bike workshops on the premises

Bryan

No offense, but Squat is going cheap. Like all Dominican things that have to do with luxury, you will pay through the nose for whatever - if this buddy of yours gets involved, being that he is Domincan and affluent, he will charge a premium price because he can. Squat, take my advice, find a decent a bike in your area in good mechanical condition for around RD25-30k and plan on putting around 10k in a paint job and whatever. Have a Dominican friend talk with some of the motoconchos to see what can be had. Don't be in a hurry, ya tu sabe, porque los tigueres huelen muy bien la sangre de lejos.

Again, if you are interested, I can call my neighbor and see what he can do. Don't worry, I have a Dom. friend who is a motoconcho who bought one from him so you will get Dom. prices, no more no less.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
No offense, but Squat is going cheap.
indeed... It sucks, but it's true... But I still want to thank Bryanell for his tip. Who knows, maybe there's a good deal in my price rang (30k) ?

Squat, take my advice, find a decent a bike in your area in good mechanical condition for around RD25-30k and plan on putting around 10k in a paint job and whatever. Have a Dominican friend talk with some of the motoconchos to see what can be had. Don't be in a hurry, ya tu sabe, porque los tigueres huelen muy bien la sangre de lejos.
It makes sense... This is not a complete emergency as I still ride my little pasola. But as of buying in the LT area, that is always a bad idea...

Again, if you are interested, I can call my neighbor and see what he can do. Don't worry, I have a Dom. friend who is a motoconcho who bought one from him so you will get Dom. prices, no more no less.
Yes, that could be of a good help... The idea would be to get some infos on the various prices... What do I get in the 20k range, what do I get in the 30k range... Thanks !

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I don?t know guys, 2 friends bought Niponia?s (crypton clone) for 30k and they haven?t broke down yet, and they are a year old, the only problem is that the muffler will rust if you don?t keep the salt off.....gas mileage is very good as well and its a 4 stroke, which is a lot better for the environment....as for location in Gasper Hernandez the place is called Papatera on the main street.....good luck

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Squat

Call my motoconcho friend Tony at 809-778-2258. He is buying a bike from my neighbor via rent to own. He knows a lot about the prices and bikes in general. He had his own 115 until it was stolen at Edenorte a few months back. Also, he has a strong cibao country accent to say the least.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
Squat

Call my motoconcho friend Tony at 809-778-2258. He is buying a bike from my neighbor via rent to own. He knows a lot about the prices and bikes in general. He had his own 115 until it was stolen at Edenorte a few months back. Also, he has a strong cibao country accent to say the least.
Thanks... I'll do it later in the day...