When email fails....then what?

Dwight

Oct 2, 2004
I was in Sosua the first week of November and met an interesting couple at the resort. He's from amsterdam, his wife is Dominican.We agreed to stay in touch and send fotos ,etc.We exchanged email addresses.....but every email I send is returned as undeliverable. He must be having the same problem. I emailed the hotel to give him my phone # in Canada....but, they had checked-out the day before. He owns a house in Santo Domingo and while staying at the hotel he bought a house in Sosua. I know something about the property(saw the pics, price ,etc.) and was thinking about contacting some of the realtors to see if they could provide me with some contact info., phone #?...or do they have privacy laws like we do here?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Email is great.....when it works.
Thanks
Dwight

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Reminds me of the architect that backed into our vehicle at the Supermercado Playero in Sosua. He had businesscards and all ... email, telephone, cell and all of the good stuff. Two addresses, DR and Switzerland .. all printed nicely on the business card. It was a small bump, so, we were willing to let it go on the basis of the man's word. Telephone calls did not get through, email bounced, the casa was nonexistent .. and so on. No, no privacy laws .. just a big bad con! ;)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Reminds me of the architect that backed into our vehicle at the Supermercado Playero in Sosua. He had businesscards and all ... email, telephone, cell and all of the good stuff. Two addresses, DR and Switzerland .. all printed nicely on the business card. It was a small bump, so, we were willing to let it go on the basis of the man's word. Telephone calls did not get through, email bounced, the casa was nonexistent .. and so on. No, no privacy laws .. just a big bad con! ;)
That was the first thing that went though my mind too.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Yeah! Since then I learnt a few lessons. Next time I'll at least kick him on the arse .. just for some quick and immediate satisfaction! :laugh::laugh:

Another thing to do Chris when someone give you their cell phone number,
call it right then and see if their cell phone REALLY RINGS! ;)

Fun to watch their expression when the number they give you does not work!

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I was in Sosua the first week of November and met an interesting couple at the resort. He's from amsterdam, his wife is Dominican.We agreed to stay in touch and send fotos ,etc.We exchanged email addresses.....but every email I send is returned as undeliverable. He must be having the same problem. I emailed the hotel to give him my phone # in Canada....but, they had checked-out the day before. He owns a house in Santo Domingo and while staying at the hotel he bought a house in Sosua. I know something about the property(saw the pics, price ,etc.) and was thinking about contacting some of the realtors to see if they could provide me with some contact info., phone #?...or do they have privacy laws like we do here?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Email is great.....when it works.
Thanks
Dwight

There aren't that many RE agents in that area so your idea is sound-but why don't you enhance the story by saying "I want to buy a house just like Mr.xxxxx's." If they don't know the guy they probably won't want to lose you as the customer so they might do their own resarch to find this guy/house. Or, you might get lucky and just call the right agency.

I think you have a good idea there. Maybe those on board that are are knowledgable in search address (e mail etc) can provide a creative way to help you in that regard.

jhohn

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I'm asking you what the whole email address is but maybe he wrote the wrong last @ part.

ie....

Maybe if he is from the US and he wrote johnsmith@al.com it could be @ aol.com.

Maybe you can play around with it or if it's uncommon post it... the @ part and someone will know the mistake.

If you know his name google it. Many people's names and or email address are online

I recently had the same problem. I googled the persons last name and discovered that I was spelling their last name wrong. Their last name was part of their email address. I was able to get in touch after that.

I hope you find this person.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Two suggestions:
1. I know a Dutch Real Estate agent in Sosua (also from Amsterdam but with Surinamese-Dutch wife), they might know him. If you want, send me your contact details and I will pass it on to them.
2. there's a Dutch-language DR forum (Dominicaanse Republiek Forum :: Index), if he owns property in the DR, he might be a member there or other people might know him. It's a Dutch language forum but if you post your question in English I'm sure people will respond.

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
Two things come to mind. Let him contact you first, since he has your email address or ask the Hotel to provide you with his cel/home number (may be on his regiustration form), if you are lucky, you may find a simple-minded front desk person who will do it.

Are you certain the Dutch/Dominican couple really bought a house in Sosua? He/they may have just been blowing smoke or trying to get closer to you for other reasons. Sorry, I seem to be very wary of people, but I have learned not to trust many individuals I have met here on the Island. Good luck in your search. Kind of like Vegas, "no one reallly lives in Vegas"...and "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas"...

Dwight

Oct 2, 2004
What Con???

Is it that difficult to understand that occasionally people on vacation from other countries get along very well and may want to stay in touch after they've returned home?

I don't understand the negativity....has nothing to do with my question.

As for the email address.....it's a plain old hotmail.com. The same thing happened about 2 yrs ago with a German email address. These people have (had) no reason to give me an invalid email addy. Perhaps there's something wrong with my computer or email program. I know that my friends office computer here at home rejects all of my emails...says they're coming from a "spam"site. That was before I got anti-virus program...have one now and they're still rejected.:ermm:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
If an email is returned as undeliverable, something is wrong with the address. Either the mailbox does not exist, or you're typing it wrong, or they gave it wrong. Some people made some good suggestions for you.

No negativity meant from my side .. just related what your post made me think about.

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
Hotmail problem

Is it that difficult to understand that occasionally people on vacation from other countries get along very well and may want to stay in touch after they've returned home?

I don't understand the negativity....has nothing to do with my question.

As for the email address.....it's a plain old hotmail.com. The same thing happened about 2 yrs ago with a German email address. These people have (had) no reason to give me an invalid email addy. Perhaps there's something wrong with my computer or email program. I know that my friends office computer here at home rejects all of my emails...says they're coming from a "spam"site. That was before I got anti-virus program...have one now and they're still rejected.:ermm:

Dwight, none of my emails to hotmail accounts have been going through for the last two months. I get an ''undeliverable'' message..something about spam, etc, from the IP address. I wrote to Yahoo but never heard from them. None of mine go through at all, here in the DR nor in the States My friend has the same problem sending to hotmail. She doesn't get the 'undeliverable' message but none of her recipients receive her emails.

Dwight

Oct 2, 2004
Thanks for your reply Chris. Yes, some people did have good suggestions and I will respond to them a little later......but I just thought of something. Does anyone know the name or have contact info. for the small real estate office located on Pedro Clisante across from the Disco's? I think the motoconcho called the area "Centro"?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Palm Hills Real Estate,The Property Center, Amber Guardian are three of the many agencies on P.C. in Sosua.