Assassination in Sabaneta

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
I am informed of an alleged police assassination yesterday in Sabaneta - El Batey. By all accounts it was swift and extremely brutal. My gardener lives close by and he has reported worstening problems all the time with motorcyclists being shot as they drive down the road, stabbings, constant robberies and so forth. I would descibe the situation down there as close to total anarchy. By "taking out" these three known trouble makers I guess the police are making a statement but at best it's "Rough Justice" in the extreme.

I wonder if anyone has more news?

Simon

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
A lawless country

I suspect that over the next several weeks we will see dozens of posts praising the "police" for a fine job knocking off the guys in the black hats.
History has shown too many times in the past the next group of people to be "policed" are those wearing white hats.

A country without laws has nowhere to go but......(you fill in the blanks)
john

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
I am informed of an alleged police assassination yesterday in Sabaneta - El Batey. By all accounts it was swift and extremely brutal. My gardener lives close by and he has reported worstening problems all the time with motorcyclists being shot as they drive down the road, stabbings, constant robberies and so forth. I would descibe the situation down there as close to total anarchy. By "taking out" these three known trouble makers I guess the police are making a statement but at best it's "Rough Justice" in the extreme.

I wonder if anyone has more news?

Simon

Great, I just purchased a motorbike in the DR! So now I guess I need a Kevlar vest too.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
To stay on topic I only responded directly to OP subject of the police taking action without laws. Don't feel that talking about 1776 would be for this thread.

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
Sounds like Tit for Tat

Looks like the gangs and police are exchaging fire (and deaths) tit for tat...I sure don't want to get caught up in the crossfire. Is it safe or is this going to spiral out of control? After reading a lot of articles I'm having trouble deciding who is more corrupt...the gangs or the police?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Warning to Chip

Chip--maybe you should re-consider those clothes you wear on your cycle
we discussed a couple of months ago. You might want to consider suit, tie,
and a sign on your back"Don't shoot I'm one of the good guy"

john

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
keep your feet on the ground....

The area that has these problems is miles from the tourist areas. I've been there once and I could never direct anyone back there, it's just miles and miles of identical looking houses spread along a number of similar looking dirt tracks that seem to go on for ever.

My gardener tells me that the law broke down completely and these thugs moved into town and would quite literally get drunk / drugged and start shooting at anything that moved. We're talking Wild West here. All the families in the area were terrified.

This is an entire world away from the day-to-day comings and goings of the more fortunate people like us living our happy little lives on the North Coast.

I think Johne should certainly invest in a kevlar jacket AND a crash helmet, boots and gauntlets!! You'll get killed on the road soon enough without them!!!

Sep 19, 2005
Looks like the gangs and police are exchaging fire (and deaths) tit for tat...I sure don't want to get caught up in the crossfire. Is it safe or is this going to spiral out of control? After reading a lot of articles I'm having trouble deciding who is more corrupt...the gangs or the police?

thats whats supposed to happen when bad guys are around and fight back....

it means the sytem of policing is working.

it is better than to have the police take money to turn an eye.

bob

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
Something to consider for those who are critical of actions of police officers:

Why would you be so quick to lable and judge the actions of the police without knowing all the details. How do you know that the criminals did not engage the officers in gunfire and put the officers lives in jeopardy first. I highly doubt that they were willing to surrender peacefully with their weapons on the ground and their hands in the air.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
On my way back to the capital on Sunday, the police (J2) had a road block on the road to Moca just outside Sabaneta. They were clearly looking for someone and had 4-5 guys heavily armed making sure cars stopped etc.

Maybe it was related....

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
I've read posts where folks are affraid of the police or refuse to stop their cars for them unless they are in a well lit area or pull up right in front of the police station...must be a reason for this type of behavior????

lewpo

Jul 29, 2007
The Quick and the Dead

Crooks arent assasinated ,they are executed .as corupt as the DR police may be they are the line and are charged with protecting you . in the '60s coruption in the NYPD aws so instituionalized that the adverage officers salery was doubled by graft. Cops were stationed in bordellos as security. But the department as a whole was recognized as one of the most effective in the nation.When push comes to shove do you want to be the one going through the door?Most cops american or otherwise take the job to make things better when they can,and greasing a few gangster a**holes to secure an area for the more decent people at times may be necessary:rambo::glasses:

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
It would appear that at least two of them were shot in the back of the head. Ask yourself - do you think they were running away?

I havent seen El Faro pics, do you have a link? The only pics I have seen were the 3 face up in post 62/63 of the thread that was closed. However, to lable the police as assassins based on what you heard or read in the paper is just obsurd. Not looking to get into a heated debate with you, just voicing my opinion and i respect yours.

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
Here is the issue...

Are the police protecting the fine citizens of the DR or are they protecting their turf?