Are we truly created equal???

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
This afternoon at around 2:30pm in hot sadistic sun, I was returning to work but couldn't help seeing a person going about his daily work routine. here I am sitting in my car, comfortably in a/c listening to UB40 (Kingston town) waiting on a red light. I couldn't help but noticing a young strong haitian construction worker, hammering away at concrete sidewalk, breaking it down for the laying of the underground electric cables. It was hot as hell, the sun was at its peak, yet the haitian young man was hammering away the whole city block right below the hot sun. He paused to take a breath before he would slam the huge hammer crushing down on the concrete ground below. He was achieving little as the floor below was tough and he had almost the whole block to go. He was being helped by just another haitian fellow.
Boy o boy, this has got to be the toughest job at the moment in santiago. This guy was probably paid around 300 pesos / day's work and some free water and simple meal. I am sure he does this day in, day out. Just the thought of me doing this work, made my back hurt. This is insane amount of work for such tiny cash. I felt sorry for him, called him over and gave him something to buy some cold drinks. It was enough to make him smile which reflected almost true happiness for the moment.
I went on to tend my business and I am sure he is still hammering away on the sidewalk.
So my question remains: Are we truly created equal? if the answer is yes, then I hope you folks would be able to convince the man who is still hammering away his youth for 300 pesos per day while we sit here in comfort and chat away the afternoon reading silly posts on Dr1.
AZB

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
This afternoon at around 2:30pm in hot sadistic sun, I was returning to work but couldn't help seeing a person going about his daily work routine. here I am sitting in my car, comfortably in a/c listening to UB40 (Kingston town) waiting on a red light. I couldn't help but noticing a young strong haitian construction worker, hammering away at concrete sidewalk, breaking it down for the laying of the underground electric cables. It was hot as hell, the sun was at its peak, yet the haitian young man was hammering away the whole city block right below the hot sun. He paused to take a breath before he would slam the huge hammer crushing down on the concrete ground below. He was achieving little as the floor below was tough and he had almost the whole block to go. He was being helped by just another haitian fellow.
Boy o boy, this has got to be the toughest job at the moment in santiago. This guy was probably paid around 300 pesos / day's work and some free water and simple meal. I am sure he does this day in, day out. Just the thought of me doing this work, made my back hurt. This is insane amount of work for such tiny cash. I felt sorry for him, called him over and gave him something to buy some cold drinks. It was enough to make him smile which reflected almost true happiness for the moment.
I went on to tend my business and I am sure he is still hammering away on the sidewalk.
So my question remains: Are we truly created equal? if the answer is yes, then I hope you folks would be able to convince the man who is still hammering away his youth for 300 pesos per day while we sit here in comfort and chat away the afternoon reading silly posts on Dr1.
AZB

Yes...we are all created equal, however some us are more (much, much more) fortunate than others. Take some time and thank your lucky stars.

One last thought...was the hammering Haitian happy? If so, then he's still more fortunate than lots of folks that I know.

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
There is a natural aristocracy among men the grounds of this are virtue and talent - Thomas Jefferson.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Para ti......

AZB
Senor, we ARE created equal....

Just NOT treated as if we ARE.

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
AZB

We are ALL created equal, but NOT all of US have the same luck.

Something happen to me last months while I was in Santiago, I was having breakfast with my novia in a coffee shop in Los Jardines Metropolitanos, I gave a lipiabotas (shoe shime boy), $20 pesos for him to eat something and a friend of my Novia who is "High Dominican Class" told me, that I should't have done that, She said " those kids are always here botherring those of us who eat here", my answer to her was " maybe his parents were as good as yours, you should thank God for having the parents you have who send you to school and give you a roof over your head".

My point is: those kids you see wondering in the streets, trying to make a buck anyway they can, just have parents that don't care or just can do anything else, but to bring them into this world without taking any responsability in raising them and giving them an education.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
so please explain to me, how are we all created equal? This man works the streets, hammers the concrete everyday to be able to just eat simple meal and then sleep on the floor in some shack while mosquitoes suck his blood dry. So how is he equal to some of us who complain about apagones, lost satellite signal on our directv system etc? maybe you should try explaining to him why he ended up on the road under the hot sun and we here in a/c?
I think he will laugh at your people's BS. of course the statement "we are all created equal" sounds very politically correct to you Dr1 folks who live the first world life. How much does it costs you to spit out these worthless words?
The truth is, we are not all created equal and for that reason alone some are doctors, lawyers work in comfortable environments and while others who are born poor, lack intelligence and understanding to be able to study in schools / universities and end up in a hole. Some people are simply born poor and never get the opportunity to be able to get ahead in life. So the question remains: are we all created equal? Please don't just spit out the same lame answer that has been programmed into your head from early school. Think before you answer the question.
My little niece is born a bit slow, she is 7 yrs old and she is still unable to speak or be able to study in regular school. She is enrolled in special education type school where she will be given special considerations along with other handicap kids. Now is she created equal to others?
I knew a little baby, born without a penis, he has a little pimple that resembles a penis. Now he is a big boy. Do you think he feels he was created equal?
So if we are all equal then why there is so much misery in the world, why so many poor and unhealthy people around us? why so many people killing each other in schools and in battle fields? why the haitians are always doing the hard work?
Why was that boy breaking his ass in hot sun while we comfortably make silly statements: all human beings are created equal?
AZB

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I knew a little baby, born without a penis, he has a little pimple that resembles a penis. Now he is a big boy. Do you think he feels he was created equal?

wahahahahah NOooooo you didn't go there, lol
thanks for the laugh.

responding: Ok AZB I thought u were talking about someone on this forum, ooooops and requete oooooops.

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
wahahahahah NOooooo you didn't go there, lol
thanks for the laugh.

Its not funny, its the sad truth and there are many men who are born like this. In fact there was a talk show where they presented these men on TV.
Now this baby is a big boy about 15yrs old and he is extremely shy. I feel sorry for him.
AZB

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
AZB...I think you're missing the point. It doesn't take much to be happy. Those that toil in the material world may never realize that happiness is always available here and NOW...go ahead and chase material things thinking it'll make you happy. Many accumulate lots of money and things but live miserable lives and think they have it soooooo good, but have nothing on the man that is truly happy. Since we are all capable of achieving happiness, then we are all created equal.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Created equal? Basically, except for you know, diferent genetics, birth defects like micro-penis, but basically "normal" people are born with the same things (physiologically). Thing is we aren't all treated equally, or granted equal opportunity - which has to do a lot with where one is born, and into which families they are born, and not how they are born.

As for the hatian making $300 a day(actually i believe the standard rate is $350, $450 for a very good worker), they are not treated as an equal, a dominican worker doing the same thing would probably be making %30 - %50 more. But again, take away societies constructs, a dominican and hatian or a canadian are equal. That being said, there are places where hatians won't try and better themselves due to discrimination. On some of the other islands if a hatian reaches a position which a native islander does, he runs a risk of being killed, because hatians "aren't supposed to be doing an islander's job."

Anyhow, tough question, and the reality is that no, people aren't treated equally, but I guess that can only truly be measured on an individual basis. i.e. I might treat people equally, but the other not.

I feel for the hatians, as do I feel for the poor dude with the micro-penis.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
AZB...I think you're missing the point. It doesn't take much to be happy. Those that toil in the material world may never realize that happiness is always available here and NOW...go ahead and chase material things thinking it'll make you happy. Many accumulate lots of money and things but live miserable lives and think they have it soooooo good, but have nothing on the man that is truly happy. Since we are all capable of achieving happiness, then we are all created equal.

I agree with this. Materialistic people are the least happy in this world - they have a house, they want a bigger one, they have a car - they want a nice one, they have a woman - they want a different one - and there are more and more things available to make them more and more greedy and unhappy. They can NEVER have it all and achieve piece. I feel sorry for them.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Well some people will debate the definition of "equal" and all that jazz, but I think the contrary is actually true. Nobody is created equal to another person. We are all like snow flakes. Even brothers and sisters who are born to the same family have different "luck" in life. Some are smart others are not, some are beautiful while others are ugly, etc...

Just look at the Wilson Phillips sisters. One was born with a perfect body while the other - Carney - has struggled with weight her whole life.

As much as we would like it to, life is just not fair. Why is a person born in The US and not in Darfur or Viceversa? Just by sheer luck you start at the top or the bottom of the ladder...What you do afterwards though is (mostly) up to you.

I was one of those who was born almost at the bottom of that ladder and I have fought my way up, on the other hand I see people who were born here in The US who dropped out of school and are doing much worse than me.

Not everybody is so driven to get out of the situation they were born into though and the truth is most people die pretty much about the same level / place they were born as.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
AZB,
I believe we choose the life we live to learn from it.
Even from a small penis, or handicap there is something to learn.
I believe we are created equal, and the part of you that reached out to the Hatian laborer reached to his humanity from yours.
To me, humanity is the only thing that matters.
You know what it is like to have a life that you call "comfortable."
Perhaps that man has no experience other than pounding the hammer centimeter by centimeter for 300 pesos a day. Your empathy is priceless.
And today, you showed your humanity, and you both experienced joy.
You may not realize it, but when he spent that money, you can be sure he shared his joy, and by telling this story, you shared your joy with me.
Thank you AZB, for making my day!
This is what I live for.
mkohn

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
The whole being poor but happy vs rich but unhappy argument is fine until you apply it to reality. Yes it is true that there are many materialistic, wealthy people who are unhappy and always want more. But there are also very many poor people who are unhappy, it's not like you can walk around in life with no money, support a familly, and be happy - especially in haiti. Lack of water, food, resources one needs to survive to not come for free - people need to work for those things. Do you think the hatian guy hammering away at concrete all day in the sun is gushing with hapiness??? I think he probably has his moments, but for the most part is doing what he does to get by.

I think Chris Rock put it best: "they say money can't buy hapiness, but I can tell you one thing, poverty doesn't buy happiness either."

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
I agree with this. Materialistic people are the least happy in this world - they have a house, they want a bigger one, they have a car - they want a nice one, they have a woman - they want a different one - and there are more and more things available to make them more and more greedy and unhappy. They can NEVER have it all and achieve piece. I feel sorry for them.

Yes...I took a course once...said to list 3 goals. Happiness, money and travel were mine. Found happiness and the rest ceased to matter but fell into place.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Worms

This question is like opening a can of worms. There is no definate answer just opinions. It is a question to make you feel every emotion possible. Respond at your own risk. Good Luck

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Good old fashion luck

I personally think a few are just born with good luck.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
AZB

No, we're NOT...

Just like animals have a hierarchy so do we Homosepians.
Take chickens, there's one that pecks all others but not one single chick can peck back at it.
Take bees, they have a set order and not one single bee is allowed to pick what place it should fall into.
Take us...
Do you really believe man evolved from some fish to a monkey to a caveman?
Yet, if genetics serves us well, and believe me it's agreed it does by 100% of smart nerds, traits are not mutants! So if we take under consideration that we have acute racial traits in this world; we must then agree that it took the same number of lucky evolutionists fishes at about the same time to come with our cool world full of so distant Homosepians...

Now, lets us move to the actual point of equality in our world...

Let's remove race as the factoring point of hierarchy, since race was not an issue at the earliest recorded existence of slavery in our puny world.

Let's remove wealth, since it was not a matter of who was better to do when foreign forces ransacked, looted and enslaved entire villages, even cities.

Let's remove advancement, since it's recorded that highly civilized and educated nations fell on the feet of barbarians that without written language almost were buried unnoticed of history if not by their incursions unto the far more advanced Homosepians of the time.

Let's remove those off our way...

Now, we have that most enslavement was due to the need of hands to do hard labor; services came later as slave owners found a way to teach them tricks. What better workforce than the one you don't have to pay to, clothe, and feed as you fed yours?
Slaves for the most part had to fend for themselves came time to feed and clothe their bodies to shield from the elements. Enslavers did little of this as provided by research.

Just as a house cat is in the same line of a tiger; as both females give birth the same way, take care of the litter the same. But one thing is very noticeable not the same! A house cat won't rip your chest open to feed off you! So too are the complexities of Homosepians equal in this factors.

Some can argue because of their self conscious (whatever that is) in a different way, but the data supports it.

Blacks (people of color) are more adept to elements that are present in their habitats than any white or fair skinned person could (healthy) stand.

If you take a Zulu across the Sahara desert for a week travel on foot, no shades around, with their native clothing along a white person just as well in the same duds. The results could be fit for an ambulance finish for the white subject at the end of the trip (if he got that far along).

Same thing happens in any setting you find the race divide habitats on this world today. Yet, you see very little of this Black folks daring habitats where the temperatures drop below the mercury scale.

We're not created equal for a long shot...

We're Homosepians as in the type of species we belong to, but quite another is the definition of equality a term to be described as one size fits all.

We're built like machines to a goal.
We have Formula 1 race cars that won't see the pave of any street of any city on this world, other than the racing circuit for which it was the concept for.

Hierarchy has a purpose in our civilization, in fact you can hardly argue against the fact that civilization itself is HERARCHY!

Our most elemental cell on the syntax of our civilize society as species is that of the family nucleus. The simplest and basic building bloc of our civilization.

Yet, it's within this simple building bloc where the traits of our entire society as a whole come to evolve from. Hierarchy is at the center and all of it.

Jut as the chicken hierarchy (their civilization) bloc, so unravels ours.

No two men are equal or same. This is truth even to their most basic anatomical and genetically level. Let alone their individual selves.

You're not born a slave, a brunt worker, a miner, a school teacher, a tycoon. But you certainly are groomed for it and depending on your selves; it dictates your place in this civilization.

Einstein was not born a genius or with a brain wired any spec different from the guy driving the bus. He was groomed since young because of his attitude and self drive.
Just like some people excel at arts, sports, medicine and other fields. So too do others in unwanted and abhorred careers like criminals and serial killers.

Some people believe in Gods, others in traditions. One thing is certain:
We're not here because the cosmic farted... (Theory of the big bang without a match to lit it)

Think of the first guy who had the balls to eat fungus and poisonous foods to find out what was edible and what was not. Not the brightest bulb at his best finding in the history of mankind...

Do we look similar? Yes we do... Are we created equals? NOT.
:glasses:

Last edited: