britannia bar - sosua

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
When it was first re-opened a couple of years ago, Paul and Liam were joint owners. In the past year Paul has bought out Liams share so you could say he has retired. Liam ist still around, can usually be found at Jolly Rogers for happy hour.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
One of the best bars -- perhaps the best bar -- taken all around (price, quality, service, ambience . . .) that I've ever been in; and I've been in a few . . .

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
I agree, the food is as good as it gets. The lunch specials are usually very good value. Ted's Santo Libres are the best, they use Barcelo as their house rum rather than the usual Brugal.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I agree, the food is as good as it gets. The lunch specials are usually very good value. Ted's Santo Libres are the best, they use Barcelo as their house rum rather than the usual Brugal.

This depends of your personal taste. My personal view is that Brugal is 10 times better than Barcelo in a Cuba Libre. About Santo Libre I don't know, don't like that very much.

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
This depends of your personal taste. My personal view is that Brugal is 10 times better than Barcelo in a Cuba Libre. About Santo Libre I don't know, don't like that very much.

I agree it is your personal taste. I find the Brugal used in most bars a bit rough around the edges , much prefer the smoother taste of Barcelo. This year I intend to sample other rums.

Any suggestions?

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Brugal

I was just thinking the same thing as I read that. I think Brugal is a great rum, regardless of price, or any stats anywhere!
Long live BRUGAL!
Steve

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
I was just thinking the same thing as I read that. I think Brugal is a great rum, regardless of price, or any stats anywhere!
Long live BRUGAL!
Steve

Barcelo Imperial is the only rum I drink,don't care how much it costs,once you have a sip everything else is swill.
hifiman

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If you can find it, Ron Siboney Reserva Especial is even smoother than Imperial and has a nuttier taste.

t'

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
If you can find it, Ron Siboney Reserva Especial is even smoother than Imperial and has a nuttier taste.

t'

I have and your right it is very smooth but I liked the Imperial better.I prefer it on the rocks no sense masking it with Coke.
Regular Barcelo is good enough if your just having a few cubra libres.
hifiman

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you like the Barcelo Imperial, you will love the Barcelo Imperial 21 yr. old. Just drink it straight in a snifter glass and you will think you are drinking a glass of the best Cognac. Don't waste it on ice. The price is about 1,200RD if you can find it.

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
If you like the Barcelo Imperial, you will love the Barcelo Imperial 21 yr. old. Just drink it straight in a snifter glass and you will think you are drinking a glass of the best Cognac. Don't waste it on ice. The price is about 1,200RD if you can find it.

Thats what I drink when I am down there.It comes in a wide thin bottle.
hifiman

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Thats what I drink when I am down there.It comes in a wide thin bottle.
hifiman

It comes in a metal tin with wrapping inside around the bottle. I think you are talking about the regular Imperial. The bottle is small and thick.

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
It comes in a metal tin with wrapping inside around the bottle. I think you are talking about the regular Imperial. The bottle is small and thick.

Ok I will check next week when I get there but I'm pretty sure it was the 21 year old stuff and if not I look forward to trying it.
I have seen the regular Imperial in a square bottle like the anajo(spelling) and the better stuff in a thin more wide shaped bottle, but I will look for the other one.
Hifiman