Golf tournament (Marco Midence)

Tony Cabrera

Sep 24, 2002
Congratulations, Luis, even thou, your son passed away, he will be remember more by every one in Santiago, and the whole island. Congras, again.

Stay well

Tony Cabrera

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
The Marcos Midence Tournament will be held on December 9th at Santiago Golf Club (Las Aromas). Players from all over the country who used to be team mates of Marcos in the National squad are due to be there too. I do not know if any players from other countries who sparred with Marcos over the years on the golf course will also be present - maybe Luis (HB) could fill us in when he has a moment spare.

I am PROUD & HONOURED to be partnering the 'Old Man' during this tournament - let us hope that the sun shines on December 9th in the same way that Marcos brought sunshine to so many people during his 'O too short a life'. Do NOT expect a post on the days proceedings on the night of the 9th as I shall most likely get 'blotto' during the festivities & have to stay in Santiago overnight!! ~ Grahame.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
As promised, herewith a quick report on the day's festivities!!

Firstly - the sun did NOT shine. I set off from Puerto Plata at 06.30 in rain, we had some rain whilst on the course & I got back to Puerto Plata at 19.30 ........... in rain!!

But everything else ........... WOW!! What a day!
HB picked me up from Metro as I had decided it would be safer & more free of stress to travel down by bus - anyway, it would allow me to get drunk if I wanted to & not have to worry about DRIVING back!! We went straight to the course where HB was drowned by well wishers delighted to see him. With some difficulty we managed to register our presence & receive our 'packages' which contained instructions/data of the days festivities plus a load of freebies supplied by promoters & sponsors. (I am now the proud owner of a Marcos Midence golfing cap & a Marcos Midence small carry bag for all golfing things!!).

I was then dispatched to pay my dues whilst HB found more friends & acquaitances who obviously had not seen him for a while!!

About 30 minutes after the due start we made our way out to the Tee we were allocated to start from & within 8 minutes of arriving there, the firecracker went off to announce commencement of the tournament! In the interest of keeping this report sociable & free of expletives, I shall refrain from commenting on how I played (mainly badly & let the Old Man down I regret to say) whilst HB led the way on most holes. The GOLF may have been bad by me but the company was (as always) delightful. Even the downpour on hole five didn't detract (too much) from the fun of the day. Somehow it took us about 5 1/2hours to get round the course ..... but it seemed like just 3 hours.

Once we had signed off the cards etc., we entered the club house for a meal, drinks, more food & more drinks .... & more drinks!! The presentations started after about 30 minutes but the MC had a few surprises for us. A slideshow of Marcos at some of the competitions he had attended (& won), more handouts for just actually BEING there & the crowning moment for most ...... the announcement that the CLUB HOUSE will from here-on-in be known as the Marcos Midence Club House!! The whole house shook with it's approval & a 2 minute standing ovation ensued!!

Somehow order was restored & activities continued with the presentaions of prizes to the winners of the respective groups. Due to my bad performance WE did not feature ...:ermm:... Sorry partner, hopefully next year if you allow me to & honour me by letting me partner you again!

What was delightful to see was the esteem in which HB is held by all the friends he has at Satiago. Hugs, Kisses, (& that was from just the fellars!!) embraces & LONNNNNNG chats with beaming smiles surrounded him all day. YES he was the Father of Marcos who was also adored by the golfers & friends present, but more than this ..... HB is LOVED there, AND IT SHOWED in every greeting, in every embrace & in every cigar & drink delivered to our table!! More power to your elbow HB.

Back to the Metro by 18.00, bus out of Santiago by 18.08 & recovery at home by a bit of sleep by 19.45! The MEMORY will certainly live on for many a day & I HOPE I might be invited back again!

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
Would you say the sun was shining - just beyond the clouds?
And I'm sure Marco's memory was in everyone's heart.
mkohn

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Great report. Naming the club house after Marcos is excellent and I'm sure a very emotional moment when it was announced.

Any photos?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Great report. Naming the club house after Marcos is excellent and I'm sure a very emotional moment when it was announced.

Any photos?
Not by MY camera Robert .... my eyes would not have been able to see the screen properly to take any photos!!

Dave Snyder was there & took a few of HB in full swing & me screwing up on the 18th green (in the pouring rain), but I am sure the local press had a journalist or two out that day.

Maybe HB has contacts who can let him have some photos?? ~ Grahame.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
I gave the photos I took to Luis...........

....There were LOTS of cameras there. No doubt tons of photos to be shared/posted soon.

Best, Dave

P.S. I know that the only reason the rain came hard on the 18th hole was because Marcos was shedding tears in heaven watching Grahm trying to get "up and down" on that green......hahahahaha.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I gave the photos I took to Luis...........
O Ohhhhhhh. I guess I'll be hearing from his Lawyers shortly then! A sort of "Pay Up or we release the photos on to DR1"!!

Damn, He'll even be able to demand Malta Indias &/or Presidentes as we go round the course!!! :surprised:ermm: :pirate: ~ Grahame.