Punta Cana-Miches road

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I understand the main way to get from Punta Cana to Miches is to drive to La Otra Banda, Cruce de los Islenos to Bonao, Las Guamas, Canada Honda and then get to Nisibon and from there Miches. That it is a secondary road with plenty potholes, thus caution should be exercised.

Another route for those in Punta Cana -- Bavaro and northwards -- is to get to El Salado and from there take the brand new highway to Cruce de los Islenos and fro there on to Bonao and Nisibon-Miches. Please confirm anyone's recent experience on this road.

I am also told that the better crossing is Cruce de los Islenos and not Cerro Gordo? Is this correct?

Has anyone taken the route from Macao to Nisibon that goes along the coastline? Am told it is good enough to do with a 4x4 and is quite a worthy drive.

Also have been told that the detour from the Punta Cana to Higuey route was because of repair of a road in the center of La Otra Banda (baden), not a bridge, as the sign said. Will get a report back on this today, but if anyone has done Punta Cana-Santo Domingo, please report back.

Furthermore, has anyone traveled recently the Hato Mayor-Miches road? Is it in relatively good condition?

Thanks a bunch.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Dolores,

I drove to Miches from Bavaro in September. On the way there I took what I believe was the second route you mentioned. I would describe this as perhaps the most dangerous road I have driven in the DR. Not the worst or roughest, but there are several places where large semi-circular sections of the road (the entire right side of the lane) have fallen off the side of the mountain. What makes it more dangerous is that they are on blind curves in sections of the road which are otherwise relatively smooth, so you are tempted to pick up speed a bit, and of course there is no sign or warning whatsoever. In general, it is a very winding mountain road, not unlike many others in the DR. with more than it's share of holes and rough sections, but those 3 or 4 places make it quite an adventure.

I decided to return by way of El Diaz, El Seibo and Higuey, stopping by the side of the road in El Seibo to pay respects to Rick Snyder, whom I never got to meet but admired for his contribution to DR1. I personally preferred this route. The road was perhaps a bit rougher overall, but IMHO the views were better and at no time did I see my life flash before my eyes. If I return to Miches, I will likely be coming from La Romana, and would take this route.

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I totally agree with you that that road can have the title as the most dangerous road in the DR. Other winding roads like Las Terrenas and Constanza are easy compared to that one. Years back was told it turned out that way because the contractor cut corners or not sure if it was that wanted to pass the road by some specific areas. I believe they will have to build another road, and think that is the extension of the Boulevard Turistico that makes its way up from Punta Cana.

The last time I road on it, and then it was in good condition, I did so in the back seat with my hand over my eyes. After that, I decided if I was to head that way, would go via Hato Mayor.

Have you driven over the coastal road recently -- have heard it is doable with a 4 x 4, plus gives access to different beaches... am referring to the one that goes then by Punta Sabaneta, Boca de Maimon, Punta Puerto Escondido, La Vacama, Punta Playa Muerto on to Nisibon? I faintly recall having taken that road and it was not dangerous and quite scenic, albeit one did have to have lots of time and a good vehicle.