After Noel Relief Work

John D Pagan

Nov 27, 2007
Hi All
On Nov. 12-14 2007, we witnessed first hand the devestation and destruction that Noel brought to these people out side of Barahona between bani. The report from many ministry in that area have told us that most of the relief containers are getting stopped by the government and are not being handed out to the people! Our church has an ongoing ministry in DR and we are working together to personallyhelp out with the relief efforts. We are returning to DR Dec. 1-4, 2007. We pray that the Government helps many of there people out by the time we get back. I'll try to post some pictures. When I find out how to do it.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I was in contact with government people in the DR immediately after TS Noel and attempted to get 130,000 MREs, 5000 (65 gallon) water storage bladders with a complimenting water treatment delivered to the DR.

My Dominican contacts in the DR met with INAPA (?) multiple Generals, Lieutenants, Colonels in the "emergency preparedness department" as well as people at the Health Department. Four weeks later, millions of DOLLARS (U.S.) as well as millions more $$$ donated from around the world and NO DECESION as to whether or not the government was "interested" in getting these products brought in.....at one point, we were told the people we getting OATMEAL and RICE delivered to the affected areas...yet CLEAN WATER was and IS still an issue..(so how do you cook oatmeal and rice).......last word was they chose to use some donated water purification products and meals (5000 of each) and that was the final choice made.

It's nice to see El Presidente cancel the holiday parties this year (yet not the gift baskets)...Also glad to see he can put his hand out (like the children in the streets) and claim poverty to the rest of the world and then KEEP IT.....most likely to go buy AIRPLANES for supposed drug interdiction....where's the EMERGENCY money? Where's the donated goods? Where's the help for the people who really need it?

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Absolutely right, I have been asking the same questions, every flooded area Ive been into has received no help whatsoever and lovely Karen and Dr Bobs supply shed has emptied just about when I loaded up my car the last time. MR PRESIDENT, has the glue you sealed your safe up with stuck your hand in your pocket? You find the money to pay the inspectors that are still going round the barrios cutting off the poor peoples electric and water because they cant pay. Yet you have received millions of dollars to help them from international aid agencies.

I get so angry at these greedy greedy people, the only consolation is St. Peter is good at slamming the pearly gates. Thats when the poor will find their wealth.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Our church has an ongoing ministry in DR and we are working together to personallyhelp out with the relief efforts. We are returning to DR Dec. 1-4, 2007..
The question begs to be asked.
Why would any church member choose a DR1 name like John D Pagan?
How can you be a pagan and a church member at the same time?

John D Pagan

Nov 27, 2007
Rock

The question begs to be asked.
Why would any church member choose a DR1 name like John D Pagan?
How can you be a pagan and a church member at the same time?

That my name not my way of life, I'm born again. Did they fine you under a rock or hit you with one

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Pagan is a very common last name in DR, so let's trust the name has no bearing on his beliefs.

I have visited the shelters and spoken with people directly and donated the goods directly to the affected people, they all claimed not to have received anything and seeing donations come in the front door and out the back door. Of course, you can't believe what they say 100% but I am sure that not even 50% of the help has reached the needed. I have heard rumors of people stashing appliances such as stoves and refrigerators from donations and selling them way below market price for their own benefit. As Ladybird said, St. Peter will be very busy shutting down doors.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Welcome to the DR and it's "me" beaurocracy. What we need to do is organize NG people on the ground. I am out of the country but live in Santiago and would be glad to help if I can. The problem is that the Dom. officials typically are used to having their palms greased when things are imported into this country. Therefore, to them all of these imported goods are a "loss" of income in their eyes. How do they justify that donated goods should be charged? - typically, they will say the poor people will simply sell the items instead of using them and therefore a "tax" should be paid.

You really need to make contact with a well established mission in the DR, or even partner with the Catholic Church ministries. I will be back on the 8th and feel free to contact me.

John D Pagan

Nov 27, 2007
Domincan Republic Relief Work

We are already ongoing ministri in DR I'll be back on Dec. 1-4 2007 to DR check out some of the pictures I took and see. All I'm doing this to give My Lord Jesus Praise. Jesus Said "What you do to the less of my brother you do to me." Those who do what they do, they think it's hot in DR!
Guardian Themeset

John D Pagan

Nov 27, 2007
Deadly outbreak of a waterborne disease leptospirosis

Dominican Republic Fights Disease Fed In Part By Tropical Storm Noel
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic - The Dominican Republic is dealing with a deadly outbreak of a waterborne disease (leptospirosis).

The country's health minister says it's being fed by standing water left over from Tropical Storm Noel. He says the disease has killed 19 people and sickened more than 130 others. Dozens of people remain in hospitals with symptoms.

The disease (leptospirosis) spreads through exposure to water contaminated with the urine of infected animals. It is mainly carried by rats, but also can be found in cats, dogs and cows and is usually contracted through cuts in the skin.

Health officials fear an increase in cases because rains keep pounding the country.

Noel killed 87 people and displaced about 70,000 late last month.

Did any hear anything done to test the people in the south west side of DR

I was in contact with government people in the DR immediately after TS Noel and attempted to get 130,000 MREs, 5000 (65 gallon) water storage bladders with a complimenting water treatment delivered to the DR.

My Dominican contacts in the DR met with INAPA (?) multiple Generals, Lieutenants, Colonels in the "emergency preparedness department" as well as people at the Health Department. Four weeks later, millions of DOLLARS (U.S.) as well as millions more $$$ donated from around the world and NO DECESION as to whether or not the government was "interested" in getting these products brought in.....at one point, we were told the people we getting OATMEAL and RICE delivered to the affected areas...yet CLEAN WATER was and IS still an issue..(so how do you cook oatmeal and rice).......last word was they chose to use some donated water purification products and meals (5000 of each) and that was the final choice made.

It's nice to see El Presidente cancel the holiday parties this year (yet not the gift baskets)...Also glad to see he can put his hand out (like the children in the streets) and claim poverty to the rest of the world and then KEEP IT.....most likely to go buy AIRPLANES for supposed drug interdiction....where's the EMERGENCY money? Where's the donated goods? Where's the help for the people who really need it?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I have visited the shelters and spoken with people directly and donated the goods directly to the affected people, they all claimed not to have received anything and seeing donations come in the front door and out the back door. Of course, you can't believe what they say 100% but I am sure that not even 50% of the help has reached the needed.

And here is an invitation to add up what has been donated, which begs the question as to where it is going.
LA CASA DEL ESPECTACULO EN NEW YORK

agama63

Nov 20, 2007
Going to Barahona

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post to but anyway, I am planning a trip to the Southwest over New years and I am starting to worry about the situation there right now. My plan is to stay near Barahona and then go to the north and stay at a resort there after a few days. Are the Hotels in Opperation since Noel? I was hoping to get out to the lake and see some sites in that direction. I have tried to contact some of the hotels but I dont get any responses, any advice would be great, how are the beaches in the southwest? I have heard it is a beautiful area. Thanks. Kevin

P.S. I was also wondering if it would be a good idea to bring some surplus clothing I have been saving to give to someone who needs it.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post to but anyway, I am planning a trip to the Southwest over New years and I am starting to worry about the situation there right now. My plan is to stay near Barahona and then go to the north and stay at a resort there after a few days. Are the Hotels in Opperation since Noel? I was hoping to get out to the lake and see some sites in that direction. I have tried to contact some of the hotels but I dont get any responses, any advice would be great, how are the beaches in the southwest? I have heard it is a beautiful area. Thanks. Kevin

P.S. I was also wondering if it would be a good idea to bring some surplus clothing I have been saving to give to someone who needs it.

Hotels in the Southwest were not affected by the storm at all, they are all operating, I was there two weeks ago and had a great stay at Hotel Maria Montes in Barahona; If they don't answer the phone keep trying, communication is very unreliable in the Southwest. Let me know if you need help getting prices, you can PM me and i'll be more than glad to call and get pricing for you.

PS: Clothes are always appreciated by these people, but be careful to start giving out clothes in a public place or you will be mobbed, be very discreet about it.

John D Pagan

Nov 27, 2007
Hi All
I Just got back from DR on Dec. 4, 2007 and it's dryer but still not much help being given by the government to the people! Red Cross set up a base out side Barahona off road 44 but the worker have not recived much supply to hand out to the Poor people out there. The base looks like its there to help its just there for SHOW to make it look like thier helping. We spoke to many Pastors near by some places have still not recived any help from them. The very young and the very old cannot take it, more will die.
Please pray they get the help they need. I don't want to keep saying it over over they need help. We'll do what we can then pray.

John D Pagan

Nov 27, 2007
Hi again

We're going back to DR on Dec. 28-31 to see if we can help up in Santiago, they got hit by Olga, two week ago. I pray we can help with what we can.