Moving To Punta Cana from Canada my blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss November

Oct 5, 2007
from-paradise.blogspot.com
So I got an e-mail last night stating that i have to start my contract earlier than i though. Instead of leaving January 11th, it's necessary for me to leave very soon..because of the high season, and they need me ASAP...This is Dominican Republic by the way, wich is my choice, because Mexico I just wouldnt feel THAT safe just yet...anywhos.
puntacana.jpg

Prior to my departure for the January 11th, i had made a list of my paychecks that i would recieve and the money that i had to put ie: My visa, My phone bill, $ money back to my close ones. And i calculated that by the time we get to january i would have enough economized for me to go and have a safe and fun trip and i would pay everything and everyone that i need to settle. And wouldn't have no worries on my mind. Leaving me EXTRA cash to spend on a new laptop & a blackberry so i can use it in Punta Cana.

So now they want me 5 WEEKS EARLIER than schedualed...thats 5 potential paychecks!! wich means, i have 2 weeks left to economize ANY money that i recieve from work, try to work around it and omg...ARGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
aM I SCREWED PEOPLE!??!?! i think soooooooooooooooooo!!

The worst part of all this..? I wont be spending Christmas and New Years Eve with my close friends & family ...wich is gonna be very hard for me...

This throws everything off schedule..EVERYTHING..IF I WERE TO LEAVE IN JANUARY that wouldnt have been a problem!!!

So if anyone knows, anyone that is looking for people to work for a short period of time..(after 5 cuz i work during the day) LET ME KNOW!! i am in serious need of cash...

Money...it can make you the happiest person on earth, but it can destroy you in 5 seconds....

Where is the money tree people?!?

n509034711_205762_9893.jpg

From Paradise With Love....Or Hate

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Not sure if I've missed it in other threads but can you tell us what you'll be making a month?

It's not just curiosity but it might help others looking for info when budgeting for a move.

Thanks and good luck

Miss November

Oct 5, 2007
to answer your question i will be paid 400$ a month plus commission wich means i can make up to 2 000 to 5 000 on a good high season, my housing and my food is accomodated, as well as all my paper work and visas. and the reason i chose dr. over mexico well i had made a previous blog and asked wich is better the majoroty of the people told me that its beetter to start of with d.r because i know people there and ill get used to being away from home for 6 months... in the d.r i know alot of my friends who are comming from canada to work for destination reps for air canada and sunwing, so i have them for support, in mexico i dont know a living soul, but i signed a contract to start in mexico in may 2008 until nov 2008, so i didint really loose Mexico either. Also its much safer.. thats what i hear, but i think wherever you are doesnt matter, the same dangers are everywhere...

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
Since you already know the folks you'll be working for in the DR, can't you ask them to back up your start date? What's the big rush? They (the GM of the hotel) is putting you in a bad financial situation. Perhaps you can ask for a sign on bonus in order to start sooner. Just some thoughts.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
to answer your question i will be paid 400$ a month plus commission wich means i can make up to 2 000 to 5 000 on a good high season.

is 400$, 2000, 5000 pesos or american dollars or have you converted that to Canadian?

If they are paying for your residency to work legally that's great because that can cost around $1000.00 and up in US dollars.

Miss November

Oct 5, 2007
heyy
yes they are paying for my residency to work legally, im just waiting for them to fax me all the info so i can be 100% and i can make copies to give to my mother for security, and also my ocmmision is in us dollars but the salary is i canadian dollars

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
if nobody yet asked you for a blood test/x-ray aso for your soon upcoming residency(takes 2-4 months to be finished, can be a bit longer now because we go into an election year) would mean still nobody works on it.
many many many dest reps work without a residency, that's not legal, but some tourcompanies love it to have a pressure point in case they wanna go rid of employees.
if your monthly salary will be just $400.- i would see the $2000.- with comissions as a high max during a top peak season month, $5.0000.- in comissions for a rep???, no way.
where you got all your (very thin, not specific) infos from about your new job?
what exactly will your new job be, what's the name of your new company?, where you will live?
they pay your rent and residency aso, so where's the prob?, here in the country all employess get paid twice a month, so you would just be 2 weeks without a new laptop and then you could efford a brand new one right away. you would not need very big starting money.
i would be careful without more details than the vage mentioned stuff above
Mike

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
A word of advice on commissions - never ever count on them. Do not budget or bank on commissions. You never know what you might actually get!

Good luck with this.

And instead of this thread, why don't you actually create a BLOG??? Then we can all follow it better.

Miss November

Oct 5, 2007
Mike, i got all my info well , APPLE reps make up to 5 000 a month on tour sales, on high seasons, so do AIR CANANA vacation reps, also, i did all my home work, i asked around, and when i got intervied via CANADA everythjing was explained to me. And i dont need no blood test, or x ray.. thats the weirdest thing ive ever heard, they did a background check on me, to see if i have any criminal files and they also did a automobile check on me to see if i have any tickets...x rays blood tests!? and it takes 2 -3 weeks to get your working visa...

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Half & Half

going by your particular style of doing things....

you can probably buy half a laptop here before you go & then buy the other half in punta cana when you really need one ....hee hee hee

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
for the laptop,
buy one at home and bring it with you, they cost the double here than there.
for your visa/residence thingy,
i am not a lawyer and i don't reserve the right to know all, but my latest update (last month) showed it very different.
like i get by PM and e-mail many requests to that theme i am interested in that new procedure and how it has to be handled and who those interested fellow bord members could contact about that.
i would really appreciate if you could post that info(requirements/contact info aso) here on the thread or send it to me by PM or on my e-mail Mike@MikesMarina.info ,
it is of course not my intention to spread out false info.
i know just a few (1 dozen) Apple reps around here, maybe i don't know their 'upper class' in case of comission earnings, but like he prior poster recommended, in case of manage your monthly spendings don't count on comissions, just on what you'll get fix and for sure on your hand.
have a great time over here,
if you want contact me once you're settled down, Punta Cana Marina local # 107, right by the pool on the ocean front, you're invited for a welcome-test-ride.
have fun
Mike

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Definately buy your lap top before coming here. The prices and selection is way better in Canada.

The blog - off the main page on the left hand side, scroll down to Blogs and then you will find what you are looking for. After you have blogged, start a thread and tell us about it. Then you post links to updates.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Here is a quote from Mr Fabio Guzman who is our resident Dominican lawyer

Strictly speaking, there is no such thing as a "work permit" or "work authorization" under Dominican immigration law. If the person planning to work in the D.R. does not want to petition for a residency permit, which automatically grants him the right to work in the country, he may apply for a residency or business visa for labor purposes ("Visa de Negocios con Fines Laborales") and renew it every year. However, at the present time, it's easier and faster to obtain a residency permit than to obtain a residency or business visa for labor purposes.

<!-- / message -->
<!-- / message -->

A

apostropheman

Thanks Anna...and to clarify:

in order to obtain residency a blood test and chest xray are required are they not? :bunny::bunny:
Mike, i got all my info well , APPLE reps make up to 5 000 a month on tour sales, on high seasons, so do AIR CANANA vacation reps, also, i did all my home work, i asked around, and when i got intervied via CANADA everythjing was explained to me. And i dont need no blood test, or x ray.. thats the weirdest thing ive ever heard, they did a background check on me, to see if i have any criminal files and they also did a automobile check on me to see if i have any tickets...x rays blood tests!? and it takes 2 -3 weeks to get your working visa...
also IIRC it takes quite some time to obtain your initial/temporary residency, with at least 2 visits to Santo Domingo, a lawyer is recommended and it generally costs upwards from about $700+ USD.

although it is my, perhaps mistaken, understanding that you may legally work in the DR with just your cedula, which you would receive fairly early in the residency process. correct?
Here is a quote from Mr Fabio Guzman who is our resident Dominican lawyer
Fabio Guzman said:
Strictly speaking, there is no such thing as a "work permit" or "work authorization" under Dominican immigration law. If the person planning to work in the D.R. does not want to petition for a residency permit, which automatically grants him the right to work in the country, he may apply for a residency or business visa for labor purposes ("Visa de Negocios con Fines Laborales") and renew it every year. However, at the present time, it's easier and faster to obtain a residency permit than to obtain a residency or business visa for labor purposes.

<!-- / message -->
<!-- / message -->

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
thanks for joining in AnnaC,
that's exactly what i had in mind when responding to the thread.
but i am not a lawyer nor assuming to have all knowledge in my fisherman's mind. i know from many occassions(more than the legal ones) that tourreps from outside the country work here their 3-6 months season without any legal bases to do so(and the very most do not even know that, anyways don't care about it), i don't name or blame companies by name, not referring to prior mentioned companies, but as far as my knowledge goes the only way to work legally on our lovely island is to get a residency with it's cedular, and that's not done in 2-3 weeks, that's neither done without the obligatory blood test+ x-rays+Urine(spelling in english??, sorry, that's my 3rd language) aso.
the tourcompanies acting like that assuming to their fellow reps they are legal walk a dangerous road, of course i know that nobody is doing a mayor check on a non spanish speaking tourrep driving his company's car, besides the sometimes present(and really needed) drug controls(at least here on the east, i can not speak for other areas). where the trouble begins are out of the ordinary situations, i.e. an car accident, you contact your insurance to cover some damage/medics costs aso and they ask you for your papers, if somebody takes the time to read all those small written exceptions in any insurance policy he will find out soon that they do not cover any illegal action, i.e. does your tourcompany provide you with a leagally valid Dominican Drivers License???, a Canadian, American, German what so ever one would not be valid, so what happen with all your insurances if you are involved in an accident without holding a valid drivers license for the country??, or papers which state you are allowed to be here, to work here??(those regs are not that different to your homecountry, just less taken care off).
i don't want to mess up with your happy feelings to come to our wonderful island and work here for some months before you go on to do the same in mexico and then maybe at some other great tropical destination, but if you want to be sure about the info you got from your employer just contact the Lawyer mentioned by AnnaC in the prior post, he is a regular contributor on this bord, a reputable lawyer and will answer all your questions truefully to put you on the save side.
have a great weekend
Mike

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Yes apo man you do!

taken from the legal page on permanent residency

Medical Test Results. Results of a physical examination, including a general physical, blood test (VDRL), a HIV test and a chest x-ray performed by a medical doctor at the Department of Migration.

But she is lucky because apparently the hotel is taking care of the whole process and paying for it too ;)

Mike you're right I think the hotel has given her some kind of work contract and said they will worry about the " work permit" and we know what that means in " Dominican" ;)

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Apostropheman,
sorry man, i wrote on my reply while you posted yours.
for a foreigner cedular and residency walk along together.
you apply for residency, at the end of the progress you pass by the "junta electoral central" where you get your cedular, and from there at the same day you pass by the office of the immigrations and get your residency. no cedular without the residency progress, it's the same coming together.
the cedular does not give you the right to stay/live/work in the country, it is just the identification document you always have to carry with you, anytime, to proove your ID, like the US mostly uses the drivers license, germans use the 'personalausweis' aso. the cedular is not valid without a renewed residency, that paper(a card the size of a credit card) you don't have to carry along with you, that you keep save at your home and you will need it to leave or enter the country.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.