send money from dr to canada

caro

Sep 24, 2003
hi !

for some reason I have to go back to canada in february 2008 for some month. my question is :

1- can I use a atm card from banco popular from canada?

2- can my boyfriend give me one atm card from his account from banco popular?

we look to a sample and cheapper way he can send me money each 2 week or each month. can we use that way ?

if not what option we have ?

take a lot

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Hi Caro

If I am understanding your question..... can your bf give you his atm card? Can you use it in Canada? Will it work?

Yes... I don't see why you shouldn't be able to use it. Unless there is some strange reason why it won't work ATM cards work all over the world.

He will be charged a fee for you using it but... When I visited my sister in the DR I used my ATM all the time. It was cheaper than exchanging money.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I don't think a Banco Popular bank card will work in Canada?? Will it?
I may be wrong...
Better to go with Scotia Bank..which is in the DR and actually a Canadian Bank...

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I would definitely go the Scotiabank route......

just make sure you have an account with them and your BF can transfer money to an account in Canada if needed!

Our BP ATM card DOES NOT work in Canada!!!

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
This depends of the card. If it is a Visa or Mastercard, it should work abroad, if it's just a plain BP atm card, it won't work abroad.

caro

Sep 24, 2003
first thank for your answer .

ok so the atm card from banco popular doesn t work but does a other atm card from a dominican bank will work in canada ? my boyfriend is dominican so we need that a atm card from a bank here in puerto plata work.ok read a second time and see that scotia bank can work ? I understand well?

what other option can we have ?what the better way for him and the cheapper for send me money ?

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I just found out, it should work is you both have Scotia Bank accounts.

You won't even have to go to the bank...you can exchange it online...and then just withdraw direct from pretty much any ATM...

So one Scotia Bank Account in Canada and one in the DR....

Got this idea with help from MommC.. thanks! :)

p.s. Having On-line banking set up (which is very easy to do) is the way to go. Having access to on-line banking has helped me out to no end, in every country I've been too...not only the DR...

caro

Sep 24, 2003
I just found out, it should work is you both have Scotia Bank accounts.

You won't even have to go to the bank...you can exchange it online...and then just withdraw direct from pretty much any ATM...

So one Scotia Bank Account in Canada and one in the DR....

Got this idea with help from MommC.. thanks! :)

thank will take a look on this option ....

N

naturelover

isnt banco popular a worldwide bank ...its spanish innit so it should work all over the world

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Banco Popular works in Europe I believe.

But I don't think it generally works in Canada.

I don't think my Canadian card worked at Banco Popular when I was in the DR....

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
hi !

for some reason I have to go back to canada in february 2008 for some month. my question is :

1- can I use a atm card from banco popular from canada?

2- can my boyfriend give me one atm card from his account from banco popular?

we look to a sample and cheapper way he can send me money each 2 week or each month. can we use that way ?

if not what option we have ?

take a lot

Do you have a US$ account and a US$ CC at BP. If so You might be able to do what
I've been doing for 6 months with no charges.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
first thank for your answer .

ok so the atm card from banco popular doesn t work but does a other atm card from a dominican bank will work in canada ? my boyfriend is dominican so we need that a atm card from a bank here in puerto plata work.ok read a second time and see that scotia bank can work ? I understand well?

what other option can we have ?what the better way for him and the cheapper for send me money ?

It's not which bank it is, that is important, it is if it's a Visa or Mastercard. I'm sure Banco Popular issues Visa Cards, but I'll guess they also issues just plain atm cards without connection to Visa. You just have to tell them what you need.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
If your card has a PLUS or CYRUS symbol, it should be fine. Also VISA and MC will work. If you can't get that with BP sign up for an account with a bank that does have those services, like Scotia. You and your bf will both need accounts, as they will only issue 1 card per name, unless you get a joint account. Set up online banking, and transfer as needed. When in Canada withdraw the maximum amount you can, as each withdrawl will have a hefty service charge, min $5. Then just transfer money from one account to the other as needed. If you are using VISA or MC make sure to advise them that you will be leaving the country, as transacations outside of the DR might cause them to put a hold on the card. Using a card is the most convenient option, Western Union is expensive and time consuming, and I don't know where you would find a Vimenca in Canada. hope this helps.

caro

Sep 24, 2003
Do you have a US$ account and a US$ CC at BP. If so You might be able to do what
I've been doing for 6 months with no charges.

I don t have account here in DR ....all my money are still in my bank in canada ..

my boyfriend have US$ account but not CC and I am sure he can t get one for US $.